PDA

View Full Version : Win 380 split mouths and automation question

mjwcaster
04-02-2020, 07:48 PM
Anyone else noticing an issue with split mouths on Win 380 brass.
Just loaded up around 500 rounds, had 10 that split.
All Win headstamp.
I get the occasional split mouth, but this seemed like a lot so I checked headstamps before scrapping.
No idea if these were previously reloaded by me or were once fire, all my range brass just gets mixed together.

Also how do reloaders with automated presses/feeders deal with issues like this?
Just find them during inspection?
Shoot them and cull later?

I have shot ammo with split mouths before, with no issues (maybe accuracy) but not something I want to make a habit of.

And I dream of having a fully automated ammo plant, and how to deal with issues like this while automated are interesting to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misery-Whip
04-02-2020, 10:34 PM
Ya have to visually check every piece of brass before the case feeder. Its in all the manuals as the first and most important step, the warnings are there too.

Some cases get missed in inspection, some just cant handle being loaded again and split in the press. I usually see neck splits in 30-06.

mjwcaster
04-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Ya have to visually check every piece of brass before the case feeder. Its in all the manuals as the first and most important step, the warnings are there too.

Some cases get missed in inspection, some just cant handle being loaded again and split in the press. I usually see neck splits in 30-06.

These all split during expansion, so no way to catch them except watching while loading or inspection after the fact.
I could feel and see them split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk