PDA

View Full Version : Stripped handle screw hole, suggestions?

Patrick L
04-02-2020, 07:55 AM
Taking advantage of the stay at home time to cast. Last night I went to put handles on a Lee 6 banger, and one of the screw holes is stripped. I'll figure out a solution, but if any of you have " been there done that" you could maybe share what you did?? Maybe save me a step or two 😉.

CastingFool
04-02-2020, 08:19 AM
Haven't stripped a screw hole on a mold, but I have repaired stripped threads on other items by using helicoil inserts.

Shawlerbrook
04-02-2020, 10:58 AM
Ditto on the helicoil.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-02-2020, 11:54 AM
I don't have any advice for repairing your Lee mold.
BUT, I have advice for anyone reading this, to avoid the problem.
I coat the threads with a copper based anti-seize compound.

I always store my molds without handles, so I have to install the handles (and remove them) for each casting session.
Threads seizing is a common problem with aluminum molds with steel screws...it's that dissimilar metal thingy along with the Heat-cool cycle. The aluminum will gall onto the steel screw threads, stripping the threads out the mold.

jsizemore
04-02-2020, 01:21 PM
Like JonB I use anti-seize on all the screws on the whole mold. Doesn't matter if it's aluminum, iron or brass. I don't disassemble between casting sessions and even years later they come apart without issue. Cheap insurance. I also put a little under the sprue plate at the pivot bolt/screw.

Springfield
04-02-2020, 03:06 PM
Heli-coils have not worked well for me, I prefer time-serts, as they are more solid. I also now use the copper based anti-seize, seems to have slowed down the stripped hole syndrome.

Winger Ed.
04-02-2020, 03:14 PM
You might be able to tap it to another size that's a little bit larger.

Patrick L
04-02-2020, 04:16 PM
Bingo Ed. I'm currently about halfway done making a slightly larger screw, just need to shape the smaller smooth nose where it goes thru the hole in the handles.

I'll try to post a pic later.

Patrick L
04-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Springfield,

I agree. It just doesn't look like there's enough meat to get a heli coil in there, at least not with our a LOT of finagling. I think my idea will be better

Patrick L
04-02-2020, 08:29 PM
So here's my fix

https://i.imgur.com/AhOVr8R.jpg

I took a 12-24 machine screw and chucked it in the drill press. I used a file to reduce the head diameter so it would fit into the hole in the bottom of the mold, the I masked off the threads to the height of the threads on the factory screw. I then filed the rest of the screw to the diameter of the smooth section that passes through handle. then just whacked off excess length. Viola!

Seems solid.

Martin Luber
04-02-2020, 09:22 PM
I was going to say slip a sliver of aluminum foil in the hole then put in the screw but re tapping is a better option. Did you have to drill the handle jaws?

Patrick L
04-02-2020, 10:14 PM
Martin,

Nope, I turned the front of the pin down to the same diameter as the factory screw!

Thin Man
04-08-2020, 05:59 PM
When I find worn, stripped out buttplate screw holes in a stock I make a quick fix of the stock by dropping 2-3 toothpicks into the hole, then install the buttplate and screw. Carefully applied this may work for your mold but would suggested leaving the handles attached rather that on-off-on.