PDA

View Full Version : large can of graphite!

sutherpride59
04-01-2020, 02:03 PM
So I have a large can of graphite that I rescued from the dumpster at work a couple years ago and I’m wondering what to do with it. I’ve heard of guys using it in line recipes but it’s a 1/4gallon size paint can full of powdered graphite. Seems like it would last a life time and my current bullet lube is of an unknown origin that I inherited from my ex-father in law when he passed and I have probably 5 more years worth of it on hand lol. What are some good recipes I can keep on the back burner that use graphite or could I use it for dry lubing bullets? I looked at the collections of recipes and none call for large amounts and the best line recipes don’t use it at all.

jdfoxinc
04-01-2020, 02:19 PM
Sell it in 2 or batches to shot makers.

Winger Ed.
04-01-2020, 02:28 PM
It'll lubricate all sorts of things.
Mix it with some sort of light solvent and it'll be a home brew similar to the graphite lubricants that come in a spray can.

Years ago a popular one was 'dry slide'. You could hose off something, let it dry, and there ya are.
It was popular for the slide rails of a auto. pistol.
It's also more or less what is in those bottles of lock lubricant, or speedometer cable lube.

It's also what is in the mold release spray cans from Midway that
everyone tries and finds that it will gum up your boolit molds if you spray it on more than about 3 molecules thick.

slim1836
04-01-2020, 02:46 PM
I use it on the inside of case necks when de-priming. I put some in a dip can (smokeless tobacco) to the desired amount, dip the case neck into it, and de-prime. Put the lid on when done.

Also, put some on a key and insert into lock several times, and lubricate it.

Many used for the stuff, good find. I'm sure many others will chime in with suggestions.

Slim

djryan13
04-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Progressive press shellplate

trails4u
04-01-2020, 03:09 PM
put it in fancy 0.25oz containers and sell it to the pinewood derby crowd as 'super speed graphite' for $13.95ea.

Don't believe me....google it or look on evilbay. :veryconfu

Huvius
04-01-2020, 10:47 PM
Was going to say that I’m still using the little bottle I bought when I made my CO2 racer in middle school!
I wonder if tumbling cast boolits in it would have any noticeable benefit.

sutherpride59
04-02-2020, 12:30 AM
Progressive press shellplate

This is the best I’ve seen so far lol, my lee master press used to drive me nuts till I oiled it then powder sticks like crazy when I have a little spill. Lots of great suggestions so far. Thanks for all the ideas thus far!

djryan13
04-02-2020, 08:56 AM
If you like that.... primer slides too.

This is the best I’ve seen so far lol, my lee master press used to drive me nuts till I oiled it then powder sticks like crazy when I have a little spill. Lots of great suggestions so far. Thanks for all the ideas thus far!

Bird
04-06-2020, 06:45 PM
I use graphite powder for sprue plate lube, and also on mold alignment pins.