PDA

View Full Version : Help w/casting for an inline ML

Maven
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
"Gentlemen, I thought I'd run it by the experts what I'd like to try and do - it is likely common already, but I need some guidance on how to and what to use.

I have a CVA Optima Inline Muzzleloader (ML) w/ scope that I'd like to shoot more frequently. However, the cost of my good ole commercial products is just too expensive to do a lot of shooting (ie, I use pyrodex pellets and powerbelt bullets $$$$ wow!).

What I'd like to move into is using cast bullets in my inline and then, from what I read, it is possible to use some forms of smokeless powder as well. I like the versatility of being able to use smokeless powder in an inline ML and in traditional firearms both.

I have a ton of WW's that I'd like to consider casting and using in my 50 cal. inline (thinking possibly I could shoot them without hardening them w/ a BHN of about 9).

So here's the question: Is it possible?

What cast bullet design (I prefer Lee moulds)?
What smokeless powder (If it's possible)?
Do you lube the bullet, or use a lubed patch?
Load data availability?

One more note, I'd like to use whatever mold design and powder for deer hunting - so keep that in mind. Thanks.

Thank you experts." (from Black Wolf)

BW, I don't think your rifle is designed to handle the pressure generated by smokeless powder loads, so the answer to that is a resounding "NO!" That leaves you with BP or BP substitutes, e.g., 777, Pyrodex RS, Blackhorn 209. Problem is, the substitutes are much more expensive than BP: You'll have to decide whether their advantages, e.g. ease of cleaning (not with Pyrodex), outweigh their cost. Btw, I was recently in the same boat as you as I purchased an inline several months ago. Here's what I can tell you:

1) Inlines appear to be sensitive to powder granulation. Mine shoots significantly better with LOOSE powders, both Pyrodex RS and/or Goex FFg. I'm not interested in the "convenience" of pelllets.

2) They may also be sensitive to primer type: #209's v. BP #209's v. #11 percussion caps if your rifle allows the latter.

3) As with cartridge rifles, cast bullet fit, and to a certain extent, CB design, affect accuracy. E.g., I've tried .50cal. T/C and Lyman Maxi-Balls, T/C Maxi-Hunters and Lee REAL's, both 250gr. & 320gr. and have found the Maxi-Balls to be the most accurate, probably because they fit my rifle best. (They are essentially a bore-ridng design, but in reverse.)

4) You can also use round balls, but you'll need to experiment with ball diameter and patch thickness and live with reduced powder charges, e.g., no more than 60grs. FFg or Pyro RS for the best accuracy.

5) You lube & patch RB's, but Maxi-'s, Minie's and REAL's require lube only (no patch). It also helps to swab yor bbl. after every shot with concicals, particularly if using heavy (80grs. +) of BP or Pyrodex.

6) RB's or conical projectiles cast from wheelweights may be too hard to push down bore and too hard to obturate given the pressure generated by non-smokeless powders. You'll have to experiment with WW's v. pure lead to know what your rifle prefers. (I use only pure Pb.)

7) The most economical shooting, even with rising prices, will be with home cast projectiles, especially RB's, and loose BP.

Hope this helps!

jonk
11-24-2008, 10:43 AM
So far as I know, only Savage offers a ML that will use smokeless safely- and then only very specific powders and charges.

For the rest, BP or sub. Personally I order Graf's brand. Buy about 10 lb at a time and it is well worth it, hazmat and all.

frontier gander
11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
You do NOT shoot smokeless powder in a CVA muzzleloader. All you will do is kill yourself when you pull the trigger. Muzzleloaders on the market are for blackpowder only, read the stamping on the side of the barrel.

Only the savage and a few other High dollar muzzleloaders can shoot smokeless due to their barrels being made FOR smokeless powder pressures.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Your best bet is to buy bulk, cheap, low pressure sabots, and use lead bullets in them over BP or(ugh!) p-dex. that way you can vary bullet diameters by sizing to give a load that shoots well, loads easily, and is CHEAP! BvT

ps: lightly grease the sabot with patch lube for better fouling control and loading.