PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ casting for an inline ML

Black Wolf
11-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Gentlemen, I thought I'd run it by the experts what I'd like to try and do - it is likely common already, but I need some guidance on how to and what to use.

I have a CVA Optima Inline Muzzleloader (ML) w/ scope that I'd like to shoot more frequently. However, the cost of my good ole commercial products is just too expensive to do a lot of shooting (ie, I use pyrodex pellets and powerbelt bullets $$$$ wow!).

What I'd like to move into is using cast bullets in my inline and then, from what I read, it is possible to use some forms of smokeless powder as well. I like the versatility of being able to use smokeless powder in an inline ML and in traditional firearms both.

I have a ton of WW's that I'd like to consider casting and using in my 50 cal. inline (thinking possibly I could shoot them without hardening them w/ a BHN of about 9).

So here's the question: Is it possible?

What cast bullet design (I prefer Lee moulds)?
What smokeless powder (If it's possible)?
Do you lube the bullet, or use a lubed patch?
Load data availability?

One more note, I'd like to use whatever mold design and powder for deer hunting - so keep that in mind. Thanks.

Thank you experts.

Maven
11-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Black Wolf, Move this question to the Muzzleloading section. I'll try to answer some of your questions there.

Black Wolf
11-21-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure how to "move" this post, so I'll just repost the same info in the Muzzleloading section. This thread can be deleted.