PDA

View Full Version : See Thru Scope Rings For A CZ 550 Safari 375 H&H

tgs989
11-21-2008, 03:18 AM
Can you please tell me if I can put see thru scope rings on a CZ 550 Safari 375-H&H? I would like to use both the scope & the open sights on this gun when hunting. Any info, or feedback on this? Where can I find these Scope Mounts?

fourarmed
11-21-2008, 03:45 PM
If there is any firearms accessory that I detest worse than see-through scope rings, I can't think what it would be - especially on a hard kicking rifle. There are much better ways to have the option of both scope and rings, though they are generally more expensive. They won't leave that half-moon scar on your forehead, either.

Larry Gibson
11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
tgs989

A real potential problem I see with the see through mounts is that of enertia. The .375 recoils a bit (in case you haven't noticed.) and the higher the scope is the more leverage the scope has from enertia to tear itself, the rings and the bases loose. The larger and heavier the scope and the higher it is mounted the more the enertia. Also on a .375 your eye should come to the natural eye relief of the scope without have to bob your head around searching for it. In close cover or on DG you may not have time to be searching for the field of view or adjusting your head. It should and must come natural when the rifle is shouldered.

Just this last week I did some zeroing of new loads with my M70 .375 H&H. I have developed 3 loads that work with the same zero. I load the Hornady 300 gr SPBT at 2510 fps. Zero'd at 200 yards this puts the zero of the 350 gr soft point Woodleigh (2350 fps) at point of aim at 100 yards. This also puts the 350 gr Woodleigh FMJ (2375 fps) at the same point of aim impact at 100 yards. Thus I can hunt large non DG with the 300 gr SPBTs and DG with the Woodleighs without changing zero's.

My 2 1/2X scope is mounted in low Weaver Tip Off rings on Weaver steel bases that are also epoxied to the reciever. The Weaver rings and bases are light weight (lessens the enertia of the scope/rings) and hell for stout. The scope is mounted low and eye relif is perfect with a quickly shouldered rifle. During zeroing I zeroed the 2 1/2X scope and removed it to zero the iron sights. I then put the scope back on and checked the zero. The scope/rifle remained zeroed. The Weaver rings/scope are quickly removed if need be with a small tool in the pocket, a modified lanyard ring on a Leatherman/Gerber tool or a knife blade (invereted and layed flat in the slot). It is just as easily put back on.

Just some points to consider for your own .375. Keep the wind in your face and the sun to your back.

Larry Gibson

pietro
11-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I have a .375 H&H CZ550 American Safari, w/Leupold 3X.

Do yourself a favor, and just buy a set of Burris rings (if you don't already have the CZ rings) - and remove the scope when shooting with the iron sights.

You'll be dollars, and pain, ahead.

IMHO, see-thru scope rings are for the beginners and uninformed, somewhat like the "one cartridge for all game from mice to elephants" theory.