PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Turkey season

Texas by God
03-29-2020, 06:31 PM
Texas generously allows us to use means and methods other than shotgun but I still like to call them in as close as I can. I'm thinking the 38-55 will do nicely. The load is 1cc(9.2grs) of Unique over the 379-250F Lee. I like plain paper plates for iron sight with bead targets. Center hold at 25 yards, the left target is LLA lube sized .375" with Federal LR primers. The top group on the right target is PC sized .377"; the bottom group used Rem.9-1/2M primers. Front bag only under my left hand. I'm pleased with all three but the LLA .375" are going hunting. I'm not moving the sight as it is dead on @ 100 yds with my stiffer 4198 load with the .377" PC's.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200329/d5fee5a6325abce711a3be08ad65eba1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

smoked turkey
03-29-2020, 09:30 PM
I wish we could use a muzzleloading rifle of some small caliber for our turkey season. Instead we have to stick with shotguns. I do try to use one of my muzzleloading shotguns to bag at least one turkey each season. You have a beautiful 38-55 rifle and it looks like it will do the job. Where do you like to put the slug on a turkey at 35 to 45 yards with a rifle?

richhodg66
03-29-2020, 10:23 PM
I don't turkey hunt, probably should take it up as many as there are here. Kansas only allows shotguns or archery.

Oddly, I have been shooting my .38-55 a bunch the past few days. I got a rifle someone made on an old waffle top with a very long, heavy octagonal barrel and it came with a Marbles tang sight and globe front. I immediately had issues with it misfiring, which I attributed to the grate trigger pull the former owner put on it, but it always sets off Federal primers so all is good. Mine didn't shoot very well at first, then I got a set of the RCBS cowboy dies and groups shrank dramatically.

I lucked into a large lot a guy was selling closing out his grandpas stuff and got several thousand commercial cast bullets and a few hundred cases. I also had a few of dad's and a lot I bought at a gun show, unsized or lubed which I believe are the Lyman 375165 which have been shooting very well unsized and lubed with LLA.

Kind of ashamed to admit that with all I've shot it, I have only cast one pot of bullets for it, the Lee bullet you mention, and it is a good one. Probably not gonna cast anymore for a while until I shot up all the others.

The .38-55 is a hoot. Everybody should have one. Is that a JES rebore?

Texas by God
03-29-2020, 11:24 PM
Yes, it’s a 3 groove JES rebore. It shoots better than I can hold with the Lee. I really like the Redfield receiver sight- a coin fits the adjustment screws. The loads that Jessie recommended would likely pop my bony shoulder out of socket or at least checker it blue.....I guesstimate these Unique loads to go around 1100 FPS and they are a delight to shoot. I’ve always tried to hit turkeys at the base of the neck but body shots happen and cast works well without much meat damage. I killed a few Toms with this gun with the Lee C309150f back when it was a 30-30.

richhodg66
03-30-2020, 03:47 AM
The load data I have is from my Lyman manuals from the '70s and are all on the light side, been shooting in the 8-9 grains of Unique and 700X which is close to their max loads. Marlin chambered their action for the .375 Winchester, so pretty sure I could up that load a lot, just don't see a need. These group well at 100 yards, and I think a 250+ grain bullet at 1100 FPS is all I'd need from this rifle.

Will that load be pretty destructive on turkeys?

Texas by God
03-30-2020, 07:22 AM
As long as I avoid the breast meat it should be ok. I’ve killed bunches with .222 through 8x57mm (watching placement).

RU shooter
03-30-2020, 07:40 AM
Looks like a head shooting load ya got there ! Ain't gonna ruin any meat either. Hope to see a nice bird proudly displayed in pictures when you get one .

redhawk0
03-30-2020, 07:53 AM
I'm hitting the NH woods in a month when our season opens...it will be the first Turkey hunt for me in 25+ years. I've been practicing with my mouth calls...they seem to be the trickiest for me....always did. My slate pot call and box call are pretty much fool proof. I'll be using them until motion is spotted....then switch to the mouth call.

It's shotgun only up here...and I did buy a new Turkey choke for the old Mossberg 500. (vintage 1975)....I remember the last time I turkey hunted I only had my original three chokes. IC/M/F....I've since gained a few more to fill in the gaps...but the latest is a .665" Extended Turkey. I hope to get out this Saturday to pattern it.

I remember as a kid we could use only shotgun for Spring Gobbler in PA...but then in the Fall when turkey came back in we could use rifles as well. I'm not sure if that's changed or not.

Let us know how you make out with the 38-55.

I'm actually starting to get excited about this hunt. It's been so long since I've done anything but deer hunt and the occasional squirrel walk. It should be a fun.

redhawk

smoked turkey
03-30-2020, 10:16 AM
I have found that it pays to pattern your turkey gun. With my Knight TK2000, I found better patterns with just a mite less than the extra full turkey choke. I know that sounds wrong, but just give it a few shots on the pattern board and find out how yours does.

Markopolo
03-30-2020, 10:35 AM
only a turkey would......... [smilie=1:

megasupermagnum
03-30-2020, 12:30 PM
I have found that it pays to pattern your turkey gun. With my Knight TK2000, I found better patterns with just a mite less than the extra full turkey choke. I know that sounds wrong, but just give it a few shots on the pattern board and find out how yours does.

Did they used to sell other chokes? I have both the original extra full, and the modified chokes, I was not aware they ever had others.

100 grains FFg Goex, turkey ranger wad, 1 3/4 ounce #5 magnum shot, overshot card. This load will put 100 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with the extra full choke.

I always thought handgun hunting turkey might be fun, but rifle? It seems like your open sight rifle would work great at shotgun distances, but a shot over 50 yards would be tough. I think it's a good thing when you are free to do what makes you happy.

Gray Fox
03-30-2020, 01:06 PM
Georgia allows muzzleloaders and a couple years ago I picked up a like new Lyman Deerstalker that's a .50 flinter. I use 50-60 grains of KIK fffg and a patched .490 round ball. I put one of the then obtainable T/C aperture sights on it and it has all the accuracy I need for neck shots at 50 yards. My brother and I put a vertical strip of 2" blue masking tape on a piece of cardboard and see who can make the best shot. GF

Chad5005
03-30-2020, 02:45 PM
I wish they would allow rifle in ga.much easier to head shoot with 22lr,22wmr or 17 than getting kicked so bad with high brass turkey loads,i bought my wife some of the browning tss 13/16 #9 .410 turkey loads this year for her rem 870

Texas by God
03-30-2020, 03:17 PM
Calling them in close and taking them with a handgun is a pure adrenaline rush. The first time I did it was with a Ruger single six 32 Magnum using 32 Smith & Wesson long reloads with cast bullets. My self-imposed range limit is 25 yards with a handgun and 50 yards with an iron sighted rifle. I have killed a couple with a shotgun before- the heavens did not open and the angels did not sing....

koger
03-31-2020, 08:51 AM
Thomas that is a good looking, good shooting rifle. I have a Marlin 336 38/55 Jes rebore, and it is one of my favorite rifles. It has a Williams foolproof peep on it. I have been looking for a decent 94 Win to send him, but no luck yet.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-31-2020, 09:05 AM
if the lock down is still on I dont know that i will be going

gumbo333
03-31-2020, 09:13 AM
If you are in a shotgun state and your shoulder doesn't like the heavy 12ga load, move your decoy in to 20 yards and use a 28ga. They make copper shot loads in both 5 & 6 shot. 6 works just fine.

smoked turkey
03-31-2020, 09:10 PM
"megasupermagnum;Did they used to sell other chokes? I have both the original extra full, and the modified chokes, I was not aware they ever had others."

It sounds like your TK2000 works great and you have a winning load. I have shot turkeys at a full 50 yards with mine. I have throttled mine back and my load now is 85 Gr. Pyrodex with 1 1/4 oz of #5 shot, and no plastic wad sleeves. Rather I use the traditional over powder wad, a 1/2" cushion wad, the shot, followed by an over shot card. My TK has only the No 11 cap capability. The choke I use most is my 0.76" at the muzzle. My extra full turkey choke measures 0.71. I am not sure what those chokes computes to be. What ever they are however the 0.76" patterns best for me at 40 yards.

"I always thought handgun hunting turkey might be fun, but rifle? It seems like your open sight rifle would work great at shotgun distances, but a shot over 50 yards would be tough. I think it's a good thing when you are free to do what makes you happy."
I certainly agree with that. As I said, I'd love to be able to use my .32 or .36 muzzleloader for turkey. Seems like a natural thing to do, and I'm sure they have been used for taking turkeys for a long time.

megasupermagnum
03-31-2020, 09:37 PM
They all have 209 primer capability. All you have to do is buy the 209 primer breech plug. I have both. Mine works 100% with either one, no real reason to switch. You do need the plastic carriers for the 209's, so the #11 caps are likely the way to go in the long run. If it were my choice, I would get rid of all restrictions on hunting arms, with the exception of special season like bow and muzzleloader of course. If one guy wants to hunt a deer with a 9mm carbine, be my guest. If another wants to hunt a turkey with a 30-06, no care at all from me. I would still use a shotgun for most things myself. The only thing different from current I wish I could do was hunt deer with buckshot.

robinsroost
04-02-2020, 12:03 PM
I would love to take a turkey with either my 1894 Marlin .44 magnum, with 240 grain SWCGCHP or my 1894 Winchester AE ,.45 Colt, with 255 grain RNFP but, alas, Indiana requires shotgun only 20ga or larger, modern or muzzleloader...…...robin

jonp
04-02-2020, 04:42 PM
NC is shotgun only although it doesnt say you can't use a bow. I watched a Tom and 3 hens behind the house a few days ago and was thinking that $1200 check our government is sending would buy a Benelli Super 90 Montefeltro.

Dexturete
04-30-2020, 06:59 PM
As long as I avoid the breast meat it should be ok. I’ve killed bunches with .222 through 8x57mm (watching placement).

Love the breasts. :veryconfu

koger
04-30-2020, 07:23 PM
Nice shooting, I love my Jes rebore to 38/55. I managed to get a bearded hen turkey hunting here in KY about a week ago, any bearded bird is legal. I shot her with my favorite turkey gun , a Savage 24 o/u, .223 over 12g, 3" with screw in chokes. I have a Mossberg extra full in it, and it is death out to 50 yds, and then some. The .223 comes in handy when a coyote comes in to check out the decoys, I have taken 2 yotes during the fall season, and one bobcat, with the .223 and a 50 gr HP.

RU shooter
05-01-2020, 07:54 AM
Our Pa season starts tomorrow , wish I could use my flintlock rifle but spring season forbids it so I'll be using my crossbow it's got more range than any shotgun I own so anything within 60 yds is dinner

Tripplebeards
05-05-2020, 08:05 AM
Not me. I skipped my first week. I went to the range to check my zero with the browning gold 10 gauge yesterday. I noticed a white piece of plastic that fell out of my magazine follower when putting it way. What I didn’t notice was the charging handle missing. After I got home I sure noticed. I drove a good 30 miles back and forth immediately to look for it. I spent a good hour looking in the grass with no luck. I went back home and stripped the gun to find out my plastic recoil spring follower broke. Bought the gun new in 90’ so I guess 30 years is about the shelf life for brittle plastic. I ordered a new follower for $5.50 and charging handle for $20 from Midwest gun works last night. I wouldn’t waste a call to Browning over it. I called them last year because the plastic buffer fell apart in my browning buckmark I bough new in 90’ and they charged $3 for the buffer and $9 for shipping. First of all I can’t believe they put plastic parts in guns and I also can’t believe they just don’t send out replacement parts at no charge like every other manufacture in the planet does. There are no free rides from Browning.

The only thing I can guess what happed is the vibration from the breaking part must’ve launched my charging handle out of the gun? I did leave my gun unguarded at the range but I highly doubt somebody would’ve walked up and pulled out my charging handle.

For never completely stripping that browning it came apart pretty easy. It was pretty dirty and grimy above and behind the bolt.

https://i.imgur.com/L85QWUb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7WrBYT1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ru1z79Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zmXulhQ.jpg

I pulled out my Beretta silver mallard a 390 last night and mounted up one of those old-school saddle scope mounts on it and also mounted my Tasco PDP3 red dot. I’ll be heading to the range this morning to get that baby sighted in.

I guess I probably would’ve made it through turkey hunting because I did shoot it four times before I lost the charging handle. The problem was is my POA was off at 25 yards. This is a target with federal number fives at 25 yards. First shot... Shot went right and wad went left in stock at the target.lol I could’ve almost killed it with the wad. Oh well I guess everything happens for a reason?

https://i.imgur.com/yZbl0BU.jpg

It’s too bad after I adjusted the red dot they had look like Swiss cheese at 25 yards.

I also had a visitor at the range while I was shooting and I had to run it off it was almost like it was tame it must’ve known I was there to sight in my turkey gun. She showed up after I shot my 10 gauge four times and my 336 three times and literally walked right up to me while I was shooting. I videotaped her for a while and yelled at her and tried to chase her off the field and it literally was coming towards me when I was shooing it. I fired another group of three for my 336 and it literally started walking towards the target. I finally left the bench and walked towards it till it went up into the woods. Maybe she saw my Tom turkey targets I drew and got all excited and came down to visit???

https://i.imgur.com/TTjO7ue.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oGwheZi.jpg

She Musta knew you can only shoot Toms in the spring and somehow must’ve known that my shotgun was broke even before I did! Well season opens tomorrow...she better bring her boyfriend back.

Texas by God
05-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Love the breasts. :veryconfuMe too, I worded it wrong. As long as I avoid Hitting the breasts I should be ok. No matter I haven't seen or heard one since the day before season.
The hen on the range cracked me up, I've seen that before.

Tripplebeards
05-05-2020, 02:13 PM
That’s the second time a hen has walked out in front of me on that range while shooting. I think they try to commit suicide but keep coming to the wrong place.

megasupermagnum
05-05-2020, 08:12 PM
I think all of the 10 gauge semi autos have that plastic bolt buffer. The Ithaca mag 10, and Remington SP 10 do too. I'm not aware of anyone using another material. The buffer is the cost of performance. At least you can buy them. I had to modify an SP10 buffer to fit my Mag 10. No matter what shotgun you have, get out there. I shot a tom the first day of our A season, but they were still very much in winter mode. Last week it seemed like they were gobbling hard. They should be near the peak right now.

Tripplebeards
05-06-2020, 04:43 PM
Opening day of 4th week today. I hung it up a 1:30 pm. Was in the woods at sun up. No goggles and no birds. Almost got ran over by a group of deer that the neighbor spooked to me on his 4 wheeler at 10:30am. I could’ve touched one it was standing so close to me. Definitely a lull in the turkey woods today for gobbling. I figured I’d at least have a hen or two walk through silently like they always do but nothing.

Saw three deer on the way in and had a wood woodcock within ten feet of me. Plenty of chimp monks, squirrels, bald eagles, crows, geese, and buzzards. Basically I saw a s heard everything except for turkeys.

white eagle
05-06-2020, 04:52 PM
I shoot a 10 ga too
I load heavy shot in mine # 4 ,2 1/4 oz.
last tom I shot was at 62 yds 22#'r and the one before was 44 yds
I can't believe the stuff expensive but it works
I missed last year twice once with the 10 and once with the 12
this first season I had one in at 40 but had the 12 and wasn't confident enough for a shot
this next season I will be toting the 10 ga.

Never heard a turkey goggle [smilie=w:

Conditor22
05-06-2020, 05:09 PM
The last turkey I shot scared the heck out of everyone in the frozen food section!!! it was awsome

Tripplebeards
05-06-2020, 06:35 PM
I shot a 26.5 pound tripplebearder at 87 yards about 25 years ago with my broke down 10 gauge using number federal 2oz 5’s. I walked up to it and the bird jumped up and kicked me. Tore my pants with it spurs and gave me one heck of long bloody gash on my leg. I didn’t want to shoot it gain at point blank so I retaliated with my size 11...and won. I might have to buy some extra tags for the following weeks. My gun should be fixed by then.

megasupermagnum
05-06-2020, 07:11 PM
I shot a 26.5 pound tripplebearder at 87 yards about 25 years ago with my broke down 10 gauge using number federal 2oz 5’s. I walked up to it and the bird jumped up and kicked me. Tore my pants with it spurs and gave me one heck of long bloody gash on my leg. I didn’t want to shoot it gain at point blank so I retaliated with my size 11...and won. I might have to buy some extra tags for the following weeks. My gun should be fixed by then.

Extra tags? You can get more than one in Wisconsin? Minnesota is so stringy. When in doubt, figure out where the turkeys are eating, and set up for the evening. Mornings are overrated.

Tripplebeards
05-06-2020, 09:12 PM
Yep, tons of extras. $10 a pop

Tripplebeards
05-09-2020, 07:39 PM
My new parts came today. I’m all excited the replacement bolt handle is black.I never understood why Browning put a polished stainless bolt handle in a camouflaged national Federation turkey federation 10 gauge anyways. I’ll put it back together tomorrow. I might finish out this weeks season with my 12 gauge anyway since I’ve shot way more things with it. My Beretta silver Mallard A390 responsible for over nine or ten dozen coyotes called in out in Arizona along with a half a dozen bobcats, a few kit fox, unlimited amounts of quail and dove, Jacks, Ducks, crow, small game, and turkeys... And a nuisance raccoon on the way out of the turkey woods the other day. The 10 gauge has always been my turkey only rig. I have pounded quite a few called in predators with it but I don’t reload shotgun so it’s hard to find a good variety of ammo for it. Normally turkey loads are my predator loads for it. I do have one box of 25 discontinued federal Lead Wingshot BB’s I like using for predator calling. I also have a bunch of steel shot for it in BB and T. The 10 only leaves the house for turkeys now.

Tripplebeards
05-12-2020, 10:37 AM
I went to sight it in at the range yesterday and my charging handle came loose the first shot. Somehow my be square scope mount mysteriously shifted after 23 years of being on the gun. The charging handle was hitting the frame of the B square mount. I looked at an old picture in post #25 when my original charging handle disappeared and could see that it scraped the mount as well. At least I figured out why my charging handle was coming out. I believe the old handle was designed to stick out farther from the receiver. I got the gun sighted in and the charging handle popped out every time. It fell out and laid next to the gun on the bench twice while doing so. I’m sure somebody picked up my old charging handle Off the bench before I got back to the range to look for it an hour later.

I didn’t want to remove the mount after I sighted it in so I sanded down the angle and repainted. The I’m now good to go with plenty of clearance. B square does not make this mount anymore but I googled it and it looks like this amount is Listed for a 12 gauge gold and not a 10 gauge...I believe B square just redesigned the mount for the 10 gauge years ago after I bought mine.

https://i.imgur.com/lWnNB2p.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DzImaXQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JIurepF.jpg

Either way didn’t make a difference what gun I took out because I haven’t seen a turkey close enough to shoot. First turkeys I saw was yesterday at 11 am at over 800 yards away...across the road in someone’s field. They had no interest in my calling. No gobbling the first day. The next three days a few gobbles before they flew down from the trees. I’ve seen more than enough deer they all came out from hiding. I’ve seen an average of nine deer a day. They all walk within 10 to 15 yards of me and stomp their feet trying to figure out what I am. I had a group of six walk up within 15 yards yesterday morning and four of them were bucks with velvet. The biggest one stood there and stomped his feet at me and bobbed his head for about a minute 15 yards away.Then the other three bucks joined in while the doe and fawn with them just watched. The doe was within spitting distance the whole time.

megasupermagnum
05-12-2020, 06:53 PM
Get out there Thursday if you can. Those warm up days after a cool misty or rainy day can be magic. Normally this would be starting to get into the late season, but it seems the turkeys are a week or two behind normal this year. I no longer worry about the gobbling either. It's nice to locate their roost, but after that, my best turkeys have all been silent. I will admit a vocal tom, or better yet, a pair, is a ton of fun.

45&30-30
05-13-2020, 12:41 AM
Two years ago was my first turkey. I was in the shop early fall reloading and I noticed a group had come in pecking hoppers off the lawn. In the shop I only get reception from a small window as it is a metal building and the router is in the house. I texted my wife, who was shopping in the nearest big town an hour away if she wanted a turkey, I didn't. She replied, Yes please!

I felt like a weight was on my back as I moved to the safe, opened it, pulled out my Winchester Super X Model 1 field gun, loaded two 12 gauge Walmart 7.5 shot pheasant loads and went out the back door. I walked up the blind side of the house from them and as I came around the porch, I noticed three up on the railing and a dozen more in the front yard. I continued around to the front of the house and around to the other side as they skiddadled away. I silently asked one to move away from the group so as not to hit more than one. A tom moved off to the left of the group as if ordered. I placed the double bead and fired at 25 paces and had my first turkey. While cleaning it I expected a horrible smell. I was surprised how pleasant the experience was. I took the liver, heart, breast and legs. The bone broth soups my wife made were so delightful I have nothing to compare. I have kept the feathers to tie muddler minnows with the hair I save from deer.

Last year my wife and I took two turkey in the yard with a Henry 410 single shot with #6 shot. I took a hen and she took her first animal ever, a Tom. Of course it had a bigger beard than the tom I took the year before and I get to hear about it when we have visitors.

This spring I bought a slate and decoy. We got up before dawn, dawned our camo and face masks, climbed a ridge by the house, set out the hen decoy 20 feet in front of us as we leaned shoulder to shoulder against the same bull pine and I started calling at first light. Shortly after I whisīpered, I heard one leave the roost. Ten minutes later, 80 yards to our front and slightly right I saw one leave the roost flying from our right to left. I whispered to look at the same time she saw it. It dipped it's left wing and came straight at us. We felt the wind of the wings as the hen landed within two feet of my feet directly in front of me. Neither of us moved. That hen pranced around us and the decoy for the next 30 minutes. When I retrieved the decoy and we walked away, the hen seemed to contemplate following us home. What simple pleasures.

Tripplebeards
05-13-2020, 05:43 PM
One tag filled. It weighed 27 pounds, 12” beard, and 1.5” spurs.

https://i.imgur.com/8nu22aI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rrT2UxS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dDgALVa.jpg

Shot it at about 15 yards. It was gobbling it’s head off...till I tried to take it off with 3” federal #4’s. Broke the bottom of the beak in half and the front of it was missing. Popped an eye and and a BB went in right above the ear hole. When I shot the turkey stopped behind a vine and all I had has a head shot. Litterally all I could see was no neck and just head staring directly at me when I pulled the trigger. No meat wasted. One old bird down for the count.

The bird flopped around a good 10 plus yards for a minute or two. I’m used to my 10 gauge flattening them without a wiggle.

megasupermagnum
05-13-2020, 08:37 PM
There was a lengthy discussion about the flop on another forum. What it comes down to is the nerves that drive the muscles are not in the brain. Apparently they come from some tiny part of the brain stem. If you don't hit it just right, they flop. I have yet to have a turkey not flop. I just stand on their neck so they don't beat up their tail too bad. I need that moment to let my heart settle anyway. I get a rush from a gobbler that no deer can match. Only a the whistle of unseen ducks circling can come close.

We always had chickens, and we used to butcher them. Even if you cut their head off, they flop like crazy. I don't remember any that didn't.

I saw two toms today, red as can be, ready to go at it. We are just coming into the peak of the season now, nearly a 3-4 weeks later than normal for some reason. Boy I wish MN allowed more than one. It sure isn't from a lack of birds. I firmly believe central MN and central WI are currently the hottest areas for turkey in the country right now. There are tons of them, tons of big ones.

Tripplebeards
05-13-2020, 09:22 PM
Yep, they sure aren’t gobbling around here that’s for sure. Normally only a hand full of gobbles before fly down and then about a half a dozen gobbles all the way till noon. I’ve had enough by then and pull ship. I just sit in the same place on my property since I don’t have tons of acres and start calling around 5:30 a.m. This guy let out a gobble at 8:30 responding to my triple bird calls. I got lucky and and fired this one up with double hen yelps with my diaphragm and slate together while also making gobbles with my diaphragm call at the same time so it sounds like three turkeys. Then added a little purring at the end. Where I sit the birds normally roost about a 100 yards down hill on my property, on both sides, so they normally will walk by going back and forth into my neighbors field.

I might have to go out around 2pm and sit till close. I’ve shot few late on day up there.

megasupermagnum
05-13-2020, 10:39 PM
That's what I would do. When turkeys aren't fired up, I have far more success in the evenings. I also take the opposite calling approach. I try and get their attention, usually just yelps from my box call. After I'm convinced he is interested, I wont make another call. I've sat for 2 hours before those toms come in. I only hunt public land, and I have plenty of room to roam around, but I still like the slow, sit, and wait approach. Sometimes they won't answer calls, and I cold call for a while, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Tripplebeards
05-14-2020, 05:33 AM
I miss public land hunting For turkeys. I’d just walk and talk up and down the trails till I got an answer. Now I just walk into my property, sit, and wait.

Tripplebeards
05-15-2020, 06:11 PM
Tag number two filled! They can’t all be monsters I guess...It was 17 pounds with a four and three-quarter inch beard. I bought another tag for the remainder of this week which ends on Tuesday. Next Wednesday starts the last week and there are still tags left for this week and next so I’ll continue on.

https://i.imgur.com/ETXtFWZ.jpg

At least I had three gobbling non stop this morning for a good hour. This one came silent from the opposite direction just feeding and moseying along. I caught it out of the corner of my eye at about 75 yards. I did a couple of soft yelps and the bite raised its head stood up and started putting real loud like I scared it. I couldn’t take a Hail Mary shot at it because there was a doe standing 10 feet in the back of it perfectly broadside! It finally started walking away from me down the valley and I tried a couple of soft purrs on my slate call since it didn’t like my diaphragm. It stopped and let out a bunch of real loud puts like it was nervous again and kept heading away from me. It stopped and looked around about 10 feet later. Where it stopped there are three small saplings blocking our view of each other. I quickly and quietly belly rolled off my gobbler lounge chair and belly crawled a few feet in its direction. My plan was is try to crawl close to it as possible and take a shot. I was on a ridge top and it was heading down the valley. When I got up to my knees it saw me and let out a couple of loud puts and started walking away from me again. It had to been a good 75 to 80 yards away. My instincts took over and I let a Hail Mary fly. The Tom dropped at the shot like it was hit with Thor’s hammer! I got up and walked in the direction where I last saw it drop. When the bird collapsed it disappeared in some tall green leafy plants. I got about 10 yards from where I last saw it drop. Tom must have heard me and started doing the death flop rolling a good 100 yards straight down the hill. When I plucked it I only found five shots that hit it.When One pellet went right behind the ear into the back of a skull which has to be the reason why it dropped. There were four more up and down the neck. I was pretty impressed with my 12 gauge and federal number fours in one and three-quarter ounce!

It’s shotgun and archery only in my state.

white eagle
05-15-2020, 06:54 PM
saw 2 today
Kicked one out of the roost
rite behind my spot actually flew when I put out hen decoy
then saw another but I believe it was a hen
To hot for me I only made it till 9:30
then I mowed my field and checked my corn

djohns28
05-20-2020, 02:06 PM
Wait a minute.. you can use a rifle to shoot turkeys in Texas?? Are there restrictions on caliber or location??

I'm in Northeast Texas, about an hour from Texarkana. There aren't any turkeys around here, but I heard that there are some Eastern turkeys up around Paris. Been trying to get over to Louisiana for three years now to make a hunt but things keep happening and I end up not being able to go.

Tripplebeards
05-20-2020, 07:50 PM
I went out this morning and it was probably the quietest morning I’ve had so far. Normally I am at the least visited by a few deer or each morning. Hardly any gobbles and the handful I heard sounded a mile or two away. Absolutely excitement until I walked out. Yesterday there was a doe laying 10 yards away from My hunting shack I built. She was laying flat on her side with the front and rear legs sprawled out in a 45° angle instead of tucked under its body. I got within 15 yards of it and was talking to it. It finally got up and walked away. This morning in the same spot on the way out in the woods I got a surprise!

https://i.imgur.com/d2aSoRl.jpg

This little dude was standing completely motionless less than 10 yards from me while I was passing it and caught it out of the side of my eye. It was about the size of a loaf of bread...with legs. I talked softly to it while I got out my camera trying to keep it from getting nervous. It stood there for as many pictures as I wanted to take in some video. It stayed in the same spot the whole time even when I left. Im guessing there was another one about 75 yards away because I heard something really small in the brush trot off when trying to quietly walk out.

Texas by God
05-20-2020, 07:58 PM
I saw a gobbler yesterday 100 yards in front of my house. The problem is, season ended last Sunday! There are some counties in East Texas that require shotgun use especially for Eastern turkeys. We have the Rio Grande variety here.

Tripplebeards
05-20-2020, 08:08 PM
The sixth and final season opened today here in Wisconsin. It ends on next Tuesday. At the rate I’m going I don’t think I’m going to see another bird but I’m gonna give it heck. They’re gobbling in the morning but they’re just on everybody else’s property. My goal is two more birds

Tripplebeards
05-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Took the day off from the woods. I went to walmart to see if they had anything on closeout. I picked up the last jake decoy for $5, the last two boxes of 10, 2 3/4" 1.5 oz, #5 winchester turkey loads for $3ea, a mossy oak turkey chair for $11, a sweet suzie slate call for $5, chalk for $2, and the only thing that wasnt on closeout i bought was box of 25 federal heavy field load 2 3/4", 1 /4oz, lead #4's for $8.44...never knew they made them. I haven't used a decoy in a few decades so maybe the jake will put #3 in sights tommorow along with the new slate sound. $39 tax in for all my toys! If you are in need to stock up on closeout deals for turkey hunting head to walmart.

Tripplebeards
05-25-2020, 01:41 PM
Tomorrow is the last day! I had a hen walk up to my Jake decoy at 10am this morning with an egg shell stuck to the top of her head like a football helmet!!! Her whole neck was solid yellow from the yolk. I thought it was some type of rare mutant bird till I figure it out what it was when it got closer.lol. it look just like the goofy turkeys over in Africa with a Crest on top of its skull but with the yellow neck instead of turquoise.

Long story short I spoke the bird in the shell fell off its head in the process. I picked it up and put it on my $5 decoy so you get the idea of what the hen looked like minus all the yellow yolk that was caked all the way down it’s neck. It had some red spots along its yellow neck so I would assume that was probably what was left of what was inside of that egg. When I found and picked up the egg it still had some soft yolk running out of it. I don’t know if it kicked it out of its nest and broke it in the process or if it found it laying on the ground and pecked at it and got it stuck on its head for some goofy reason.

https://i.imgur.com/s8v0683.jpg

Tripplebeards
05-26-2020, 07:34 PM
Last day was today. Nasty thunderstorms all night so I went out this afternoon. No Gobbles or birds but I found a gun and holsters half buried out in my woods. The cap pistol says daisy on the side. I was all excited at first as I thought I found a “real” pistol till I saw daisy on the side. The holsters are Actually in pretty good shape I just need to clean them up. It feels like they were made out of hard rubber or something similar.

https://i.imgur.com/TF5rjCm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6WYQjcy.jpg

rbuck351
05-27-2020, 12:00 AM
Here in Lincoln county MT you are allowed 3 turkeys per year. We have 13+ acres here and about a dozen turkeys roost in the trees just up the hill from my garage about 25 yds. Every morning they come down the hill and wander through the front yard. When the toms are strutting their stuff I can go out on the front porch and watch them sometimes as close as 10yds. A 22 short in a handgun would be plenty of gun. Here you can shoot them with about anything you want but I haven't bothered yet. Deer wandering around the pasture and front yard as well. Seems there is some clover growing in the yard that the deer really like.

Tripplebeards
06-01-2020, 08:50 PM
Jazzed up my second $5 Walmart close out decoy today with a black and brown marker while I was roasting the smaller bird. The Jake decoy looks good the way it is but this hen needed help.

Before...

https://i.imgur.com/Tr76gY7.jpg

After...

https://i.imgur.com/OEJEkxl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wlPnAGp.jpg

And the real McCoy...I never roasted a wild turkey before. I always just cut out the breast’s and legs.

https://i.imgur.com/wPXCNMM.jpg

I brined it for a couple days, smoked it for two hours, and finished off in the oven at 350 degrees for two hours. It cooked faster then I expected. I figured it would take 2.5 hours and after two hours it had an internal temp of 200 degrees. I was still pretty juicy. The breast turned out great but the wings and drum sticks are a little chewy. They will go in the croc pot tomorrow till the meat softens up. Bird number two will get the legs ground up into hamburger, one side of the breast jerky, and the other side batter fried strips.

Tripplebeards
06-09-2020, 04:09 PM
Went out today to try out my browning 10 gauge with the new parts. The second shot my charging handle that perfectly cleared my b square mount hit it and launched out of the gun again! There were a group of younger shooters there that helped my find my handle. I rewarded the guy who found it with letting him shoot my gun. He was a pretty small guy and was pretty excited. It pushed him back pretty good and he couldn’t stop laughing. I bet he and his buddies are still talking about it. My old charging handle had hit my mount for decades so I’m wondering if the detent spring is getting weak? I called browning to order one. I couldn’t believe it...they are sending me a new spring and detent!!...along with a spare charging handle!!! Three weeks ago who ever I talked to there in service was going to charge me for a charging handle and replacement plunger so I ordered them cheaper from MGW. I guess it’s who you talk to there. Wish I would have talked to her a few weeks ago.

Oh, and I tried out my new patternmaster .695” code black turkey choke at 25 yards with my good old faithful, federal grand slam 2 oz of #5’s. Y charging handle hit the mount when I **** so I would assume it kicked the POA off a little or my red dot just isn’t zeroed. It sure put a tight group on paper...just a hair left...

https://i.imgur.com/lefUV4W.jpg

I also tried federal GS 2oz #4’s...

https://i.imgur.com/3n11jCn.jpg

And Remington 2 1/4oz #4’s. You can see my pattern is left again...

You can see the #4 loads just don’t like to group as tight. I also tested 2 oz of #5 Winchester’s but they didn’t group as good as the federal #5’s.

When my parts arrive I’m going to remove metal from my B square mount so the charging handle clearance will be a good 1/2” wider so there will no way my handle will hit it again. Im also going to paint the spare charging handle blaze orange so if fly’s off again I’ll find it.

https://i.imgur.com/fKdbnPE.jpg

megasupermagnum
06-09-2020, 06:58 PM
I'm not familiar with Browning, but my Remington 11-48 also liked to toss the charging handle. It too is held in with a spring and detent. In the 11-48, you have to replace the entire slide it is mounted in, the ball and spring are peened in, and are not replaceable. I bought a brand new slide, but the new one was obviously bad, I could barely move the ball. I sent it back. Some penetrating oil, and working the ball cleaned the old one well enough. I had also purchased a new charging handle, and the detent was tiny by comparison to the old. After cleaning the gunk out of the old charging handle detent, and getting my spring and ball to move freely, it seems to have fixed it. I've seen where some guys have used a drill bit to deepen the charging handle detent as well.

Infact, that 11-48 was built in 1950 or 51, and I doubt it was ever cleaned since that day. I can't believe it worked, but it did. Goes to show the genius of John browning.

Tripplebeards
06-09-2020, 09:40 PM
Mine probably works just fine and the Scope saddle Has got to be the culprit. I’ll replace the parts anyways just to be safe besides removing saddle material. It’s weird that for the first time since I installed the saddle In the mid 90’s it’s giving me issues. Between addressing both the saddle and the spring/detent I’m sure it will fox the issue. I looked at numerics schematic abd it looks like their is a pin that just taps our of the slide to replace the spring and detent.

Tripplebeards
06-11-2020, 07:46 PM
Got out the Dremel tool today and cut off about a quarter inch of clearance. I filed it smooth and touched up the bare aluminum with a little black paint after words. My charging handle is definitely not going to catch on it now. Hopefully my POA is still on or close once I get the saddle reinstalled.

https://i.imgur.com/YvqMuvs.jpg

Tripplebeards
06-12-2020, 06:28 PM
New parts came today from Browning. I used the charging handle I bought for $25 and will keep the one browning sent me for a spare. You can see the new parts on the right...both longer. My charging handle takes a lot more force to remove now. Along with removing a about a quarter inch or more along the bottom of the scope saddle opening in sure my handle won’t hit or fly out again. I think I might order a browning gold factory scope mount and have it drilled and tapped e eventually.

https://i.imgur.com/42BVYhJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4Zb2no3.jpg

megasupermagnum
06-12-2020, 07:28 PM
Have you tried it without a scope? I played around with some red dots, thinking they would benefit in the dark woods. I found it did nothing but add bulk and complication. Some simple fiber optic open sights worked well, but I'm quite happy now with nothing but a bead. I've come full circle.

Tripplebeards
06-12-2020, 08:57 PM
I like just a single bead on my 12 gauge Berettas is but the bead on this 10 gauge is huge and flat. I tried it 50 yards versus the red dot and didn’t get as good of a group as the bead is way bigger than the dot. I looked for the original fiber optic two piece sites that came with my gun when I bought it but I must’ve thrown them away by accident years ago. I wouldn’t mind trying to find a smaller bead to put on the front of it and pitch the red dot eventually or have a factory browning scope mount drilled and tapped and put a smaller micro red dot on it. I can’t find the trigger pin for it either. There’s a bolt that goes through the housing that holds it in place to replace it. I believe when I cleaned out my storage shed the X decided to throw away some of my gun boxes that had all the original parts in them. I’ll have to see if I can purchase some original parts. If I can find the original two piece fiber optic site set thst came on it I’d probably try that. The vent rib has three holes drilled in it for the rear sight. I think if somebody made a replaceable front bead that’s a lot smaller in diameter than the one that’s on there now I’d probably be pretty happy with it.

megasupermagnum
06-12-2020, 09:33 PM
Assuming the bead is threaded, which it probably is, it is easy to change. There are only a few threads used for beads. If you go with sights, the Williams vent rib slugger sights are bullet proof. They clamp right on to a rib, no holes needed, and are rock solid.

I also lost the trigger pins the last time I had a saddle mount on my Benelli.

Tripplebeards
06-13-2020, 09:50 AM
Since there are three holes in my vented rib I’d like to find the original fiber optic sight set that mount to them. I bought my Narional wild turkey federation gun the first year the turkey gun came out. I believe it was 95’?

Tripplebeards
06-27-2020, 07:59 PM
Since there are three holes in my vented rib I’d like to find the original fiber optic sight set that mount to them. I bought my Narional wild turkey federation gun the first year the turkey gun came out. I believe it was 95’?

I called Browning, they told my to call Hi Viz...Hi Viz told me they still have the sights from the factory set up laying around from 2002’ with the mounting screws and are sending me a set! Thanks Hi Viz!!!