PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recommendations for a new casting pot

bazzer485
03-29-2020, 02:58 AM
I’m currently using a lee 4-20 and I’m thinking of getting a bigger pot so I’m seeking recommendations. The RCBS pro melt looks interesting but is currently not available in the 110 volt model. But of others I know very little, it doesn’t have to have a built in pid since I can easily add one myself. It does have to be a bottom pour pot though, so please give me your thoughts and if you just happen to have a pot that you don’t need please let me know.
Thanks
Barry

Mal Paso
03-29-2020, 10:33 AM
Magma is the only one significantly bigger and widely recommended.

lightman
03-29-2020, 11:35 AM
The Magma is the only one that I know of that is signifantly larger than 20 pounds. Its expensive compared to the others!

bazzer485
03-29-2020, 01:38 PM
The Magma is the only one that I know of that is signifantly larger than 20 pounds. Its expensive compared to the others!

Yeh, $600 is more than I want to pay, so maybe I’ll just stick to the auto drip Lee.

toallmy
03-29-2020, 05:15 PM
I hope you win the lottery or something so I can live vicariously through you casting with a magma pot .
I understand when I finally decided to get a pro-melt I discovered that they stopped production driving prices even used prices up , so I decided to wait for the new ones . After hearing about others having problems I put off ordering one just to see them become unavailable .
Woulda shoulda coulda / but I didn't so for the time being I picked up a extra 4/20 .
Even though the boss ( wife ) approved the purchase I just couldn't justify the purchase for my needs .
But a custom pot could be interesting .

bazzer485
03-29-2020, 10:43 PM
I would love to build my own pot, but since I only want a bottom pour it would be a complicated task. My Lee works fine apart from the dripping, that I can put up with, but having to add ingots fairly frequently is a pain then having to wait until the lead gets hot enough to continue pouring.
Barry

bazzer485
03-29-2020, 10:45 PM
I wonder why RCBS don’t have any Pro Melts?

heebs
03-30-2020, 08:28 PM
I've had Lee drip o matics, RCBS and others. Finally broke down and bought a Magma. Best 600 I have spent. Love the fact I can mix a large batch of lead, put it into ingots and then turn around and pour bullets. I absolutely love mine. If I had known then what I know now, I never would have messed around with anything else.

lightman
03-31-2020, 10:25 AM
I wonder why RCBS don’t have any Pro Melts?

I think they had so much trouble with the new ones that they backed off in order to redesign or improve it.

onelight
03-31-2020, 11:01 AM
The stacking two Lee 20lb pots like some here do looks pretty good , I saw some pretty slick setups in those threads.

djryan13
03-31-2020, 04:25 PM
I've had Lee drip o matics, RCBS and others. Finally broke down and bought a Magma. Best 600 I have spent. Love the fact I can mix a large batch of lead, put it into ingots and then turn around and pour bullets. I absolutely love mine. If I had known then what I know now, I never would have messed around with anything else.

Ditto... it’s a beast

toallmy
03-31-2020, 04:44 PM
I would love to build my own pot, but since I only want a bottom pour it would be a complicated task. My Lee works fine apart from the dripping, that I can put up with, but having to add ingots fairly frequently is a pain then having to wait until the lead gets hot enough to continue pouring.
Barry

There is a member hear that explained in a post how to preheat your ingot while casting to maintain a full pot while casting this works well for me most of the time . I use a lee 4/20 and on a good day when I do my part I can keep my pot full and have very little temperature swings while casting . It's not perfect but I'm the weakest link , then again I sometimes just can't seem to do anything right while casting . I use this method when casting for handguns in bulk , not for a few hundred rifle boolits .

RogerDat
03-31-2020, 05:06 PM
The stacking two Lee 20lb pots like some here do looks pretty good , I saw some pretty slick setups in those threads. With the upper pot used to feed pre-melted lead into the lower pot one is casting from it should be high speed without a doubt. Any drips from the upper pot are just going to the lower (casting) pot.

psychbiker
04-06-2020, 08:15 PM
Search ‘ stacked lee’ or ‘double lee’. It’s here somewhere. I just ordered another lee 4-20 and plan to built a simply stand so the Upper lee’s bottom pour spout will pour into the bottom pot. Shouldn’t be hard. Either wood or metal sheet from Hd and pop rivets. That way I can have 35-40lbs going at once and not have to wait for lead to re-melt.

Cosmic_Charlie
04-07-2020, 04:59 PM
Most of the time a full 4-20 pot is all I want to cast in a sitting. I suppose shotgun slugs or 45-70 boolits would make a larger pot nice to have though.

Mr_Sheesh
04-08-2020, 06:09 AM
Is anything wrong with the Waage K-4757 Casting Furnace? Wondering why no one is mentioning it here...

roysha
04-15-2020, 05:25 PM
Is anything wrong with the Waage K-4757 Casting Furnace? Wondering why no one is mentioning it here...

I believe because it is not well known and the fact that the OP stated a bottom pour which the K-4757 is not.