PDA

View Full Version : Custom holster maker relatively close?

Naphtali
03-28-2020, 11:51 PM
John Power is in the last stages of gunsmithing my Freedom Arms Model 97 revolvers. Both are being altered to a form closer to a target version of a Bisley configuration. Substantial changes in hammer and front sight has caused my 7X Leather holsters to no longer fit the revolvers.

I bought Bianchi CD-127 and CD-128 for them. I don't have a lot of confidence these will function correctly with revolvers' non-standard configuration. Unfortunately, I am nearly certain no off-the-shelf cross-draw holsters will fit — if the CDs do not.

To have a holster made for either, I think I'll need to furnish the revolver. And this is part of my problem. I would rather not drive to Ennis, Montana, to have Wes Daems of 7X make holsters. His work is excellent. His distance at my age (and decrepitness) is what I prefer to avoid.

I am in Missoula County in extreme west-central Montana. If anyone can recommend a holster maker in my area, I will appreciate the contact information.

Greg S
03-29-2020, 04:48 AM
If there isn't one closer, look for a saddle shop locally that can professionally mod your existing gear without it looking like an afterthought. I know 5 shot leather could probably do a one off if he had the time and desire and he's just north of Spokane alittle.

The front sight change may be able to be stretched some by wet forming over a new front sight track form on your existing software. Pm sent.

square butte
03-29-2020, 07:17 AM
How about Old West Reproductions in Florence, MT . Not too far from you.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-29-2020, 07:42 AM
I would think that if you tell him how much taller the front sight is he could adjust for that and maybe trace the gun and send him the outline of it

MrWolf
03-29-2020, 07:45 AM
I would think that if you tell him how much taller the front sight is he could adjust for that and maybe trace the gun and send him the outline of it

This is what I thought also

Tokarev
03-29-2020, 10:45 AM
Check out the forums at leatherworker.com. There are quite a few great holster makers there.

megasupermagnum
03-29-2020, 11:43 AM
While I can not recommend them, a Google search pulls up both The Bear Tooth Leather Company, and Awl Works as leather companies in Bozeman that do holsters.

Edit: sorry, didn't realize this was also a 3 hour drive.

megasupermagnum
03-29-2020, 11:49 AM
Aha. Apparently Bitterroot Gunleather is in Victor, Mr.

Naphtali
03-31-2020, 12:13 AM
Old West Reproductions. Fan-tastic! Florence is just on the other side of Missoula. I've been pretty much locked down — my ex-wife is bigger, tougher, and meaner than I am, and she insists. All I needed to do was to reread Packing Iron. All I need to do is wait for Mr. Power.

I don't think it's betting on the come to say, "Problem solved."