PDA

View Full Version : Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler

DougGuy
03-28-2020, 01:56 PM
To pass the time in house arrest or stay at home whatever you call it, I got a sourdough starter from an ebay seller in San Francisco, 150yr old starter, extra sour, and it IS, well worth the $5 plus shipping since King Arthur Flour was completely out of stock on all their starters, guess I'm not the only one that figured out it was a good time to make sourdough breads again. Sourdough and buttermilk work really well in pancakes, so I wanted to take the same approach and make a cobbler. Basically it is similar to pancake batter only stiffer. Worked great!!!!

Buttermilk Sourdough Blackberry Cobbler

Filling Ingredients:

2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water*
3 to 4 cups fresh (or frozen) blackberries

Filling Directions:

The night before making cobbler, sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar over blackberries and let sit overnight. The next day, stir 2/3 cup sugar and 1tbsp cornstarch together in sauce pan.

*Pour off liquid from berries into measuring cup, finish filling with water to make 1 cup. Whisk water into sugar mixture and bring to boil, stir in blackberries and continue to heat to boiling.

Biscuit Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp (half stick) butter at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup unfed sourdough starter
¼ cup granulated sugar

Biscuit Directions:

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl, cut in butter to make a coarse meal. Add ½ cup buttermilk and ½ cup unfed sourdough starter. Stir until a stiff dough forms, add remaining buttermilk (as needed) until dough is just loose enough to pour.

Spray a No. 8 cast iron skillet with cooking spray, pour dough into skillet and spread evenly to edges. Pour berry mixture on dough arranging berries evenly, bake in 400F oven 30mins, remove skillet and sprinkle ¼ cup sugar evenly over mixture, return to oven and bake for 15 more minutes or until center reaches 200F. Serve warm with your choice of toppings or ice cream!

Note: When I poured the berry mixture over the dough, it was a thin watery looking liquid that just flooded the whole top of the dough, it looked like I ruined it, but the dough had no problem baking up around the fruit and it came together quite well, I have to admit, I didn't know if it was going to be cobbler or blackberry mush...

Winger Ed.
03-28-2020, 02:12 PM
Wow.
I think I gained a couple of pounds just looking at the picture.:bigsmyl2:

Loudenboomer
03-28-2020, 02:27 PM
That recipe looks like a good one. There is just something about sweet going with sour dough. This morning I fried up a stack of sour dough French toast for the wife and I. Fried in a antique #8 Griswold and lots of maple syrup! ;)

Texas by God
03-28-2020, 02:30 PM
I would eat that entire skillet full- beautiful!

Hickory
03-28-2020, 02:34 PM
I'll be right over.
Pour me a glass of milk.