PDA

View Full Version : Had to get out today. going stir crazy.

jimb16
03-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Even though we are under "STAY AT HOME" ORDERS, I snuck out to the range today. Took the 1873 Uberti clone. I've never had a lever action before that is so accurate. I had a Marble's tang sight put on it and what a difference! I removed the disk and just used the peep as a ghost ring. I was shooting at broken pieces of clay bird on the 100 yard berm. I couldn't believe that I was hitting 3 out of 4 just resting elbows on the bench, no sandbags! I didn't have time or opportunity to really work with the rifle last fall when I took that buck with a 40 yard drop in his tracks shot. Now I realize that I could have made that shot at 100 yards and still dropped him in his tracks! That rifle is phenomenal! 8.7 gr of Unique and a 260 gr poly coated lead round nose flat point sized .452. That .45 Colt really shoots! BTW, I wasn't the only guy who was at the range.....

4given
03-27-2020, 06:57 PM
BTW, I wasn't the only guy who was at the range.....

Just stay at least 10 feet apart, no hand shaking and don't slobber all over your neighbors gun! LOL :-P

MFGordon
03-27-2020, 07:24 PM
I'm stuck at home and thought I could get to my outdoor range where I never come closer than 20 feet to anyone. However in my state all ranges are shutdown.

RedlegEd
03-27-2020, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately, all this time to reload and work up loads does me no good. they shut down my range here in the Memphis area.
Ed

kayala
03-27-2020, 08:30 PM
Both ranges I’m member of are closed by EO, so for me it’s only cleaning my guns and stockpiling reloads :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dpoe001
03-27-2020, 08:42 PM
well i just went down to the press and broke it. I sure hope lee is still open or no reloading for me till they are.

Cast_outlaw
03-27-2020, 09:43 PM
Our range here is the club range members only and is still open might go there to Moro with my lever gun

Win94ae
03-27-2020, 10:03 PM
Great work! Great shooting!

I have shot my 30-30 with j-words and a scope with bolt action results; so the potential is there. I'm not so good with the iron sights anymore.

samari46
03-28-2020, 02:42 AM
Outside of going to the Khubota dealer and getting my double element air filter and new battery which was immediatly installed and off to cut grass. Finished with the grass and had to trim the limbs of a white oak. In about 4 hours time I had a huge pile off branches and limbs. Yesterday started picking up the small stuff and today all the heavy stuff beens cut up and on the burn pile. But cannot burn because they instituted a burn ban don't know when it is supposed to expire probably when the fall rolls around.

Then start making trips down by the bayou to collect more branches and limbs. Funny how much work done in 4-5 hours. I have a battery powered chain saw and after doing the initial adjustments to the chain makes cutting old stuff a breeze. Tomorrow is my day of rest. Been farting around with some forends for the British #4 MKI* service rifle I have. gotta make a dutchman for the back end of the stock. Starting to crack as the draws were poorly cut causing the crack. Then Acetone and whitening. Get that dome and finish sand the stock then glass bed the action,1st 1" or so of the breech. Stock was made in India and has the ishy screw. Frank

Hootmix
03-28-2020, 04:42 AM
Loaded up some RL7 ( RX7) experimental rds. for my 40-60 Chappie. , awhile back but life got in the way,, then a friend called yesterday needed some help w/ a " pre Columbus " bull dozer !!!! and bring your rifle :mrgreen:,he almost mashed my fingers when he hung up the phone ,,we talked about what could be wrong and why it wouldn't start ,, all that time we'r load'n targets and other gear , my friend thought we could think better if we relaxed some ,, first ,, had a good afternoon,, " dozer ",[smilie=1: maybe next time.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

smithnframe
03-28-2020, 06:42 AM
well i just went down to the press and broke it. I sure hope lee is still open or no reloading for me till they are.

What did you break? I used to live in the Shamokin/Mount Carmel area!

pietro
03-28-2020, 07:06 PM

In my state, the "STAY AT HOME" order applies to adults over 60 years old and/or younger folks who have underlying medical conditions.

Anyone else can leave their homes for grocery shopping, pharmacy visits, banking, walks in a park, and medical appointments - as long as they observe social distancing (6' between folks) and the 5 person to a crowd limit.

My gun club has closed our indoor range/clubhouse, and limited outdoor range use to 5 members at a time on each range.
(we have 6 outdoor ranges: 21', 25yd, 100yd & 200yd + a skeet & a trap range).

I do keep a container of sanitary wipes in my vehicles, so we can clean shopping cart handles, ATM buttons/screens, etc, prior to handling them.

I also wipe down any metal or plastic surfaces at my range that I touch.

We also shop with our hands inside small plastic bags - the wipe off every item purchased before taking the item(s) inside my home.

Geezer in NH
03-29-2020, 10:22 AM
March 28, 2020
For immediate release
BREAKING: GOA and GOC Thank the Trump Administration for Designating Firearms Industry as Essential
Springfield, VA – President Trump’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has revised its guidance of critical infrastructure to include the firearms industry as part of the Essential Critical Infrastructure. This revision comes shortly after Gun Owners of America (GOA) and Gun Owners of California (GOC) sent a letter to the administration urging inclusion of the firearms industry.
The guidance specifically includes “[w]orkers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges” as part of the Essential Critical Infrastructure.
GOA Senior Vice President Erich Pratt said, “It is very encouraging to see CISA include the firearms industry as essential. In these uncertain times, the ability to protect yourself — and to acquire firearms, magazines and ammunition — should not be ignored. GOA/GOC thanks the Trump Administration for listening to our letter and ensuring that Americans can protect themselves in these difficult times.”
Erich Pratt, or another GOA spokesperson, is available for interviews. Gun Owners of America is a nonprofit lobbying organization dedicated to protecting the right to keep and bear arms without compromise. GOA represents over two million members and activists. For more information, visit GOA’s Press Center.

wapiti22
03-29-2020, 01:45 PM
In my state of Washington, the liquor stores and Pot shops are open, as they are deemed "essential", but the gun shops and ranges are closed.

bedbugbilly
03-30-2020, 10:29 PM
OP - If I could ask - what barrel length down your Uberti 45 Colt '73 have? One of these in 45 Colt is on my bucket list - just trying to decide the barrel length I want. Thnx.

jimb16
03-31-2020, 09:45 PM
Mine is a 24 inch barrel. Its a little muzzle heavy, but it is accurate and recoil is practically non-existent.

bedbugbilly
03-31-2020, 10:27 PM
Thank you for the info. I looked at a 24" barrel model last year and I really kind of liked it a lot. My use would be for range - offhand and bench and playing at longer distances as well. I should have bit the bullet nd purchased it - but the next time I won't walk away. It will probably be a project for next fall the way things are going. Thanks again and enjoy that nice rifle!

robg
04-01-2020, 05:13 PM
our range closed a week ago and the land i shoot over is 20 miles away .so no shooting for me .might get my air pistol out in the garden .

panhed65
04-01-2020, 07:45 PM
I shot my Henry 44 BBS today at home. have steel plates hanging in the woods by my house to shoot at. those 250 beartooth bullets put some nice dents in the heavy plate, some really large holes in the lid to a 55gal drum I have hung too. nice to be able to shoot at home.
Barry

Drm50
04-01-2020, 08:50 PM
I been in the house since Saturday before Christmas. Recovering from surgeries, then this hits. I had only been out for doctor visits. For something to do I’m going to put a roll of toilet paper up by the road and sit with a rifle and see what I can bait in.

Schreck5
04-01-2020, 09:28 PM
i been in the house since saturday before christmas. Recovering from surgeries, then this hits. I had only been out for doctor visits. For something to do i’m going to put a roll of toilet paper up by the road and sit with a rifle and see what i can bait in.

:-d:-d:-d

mazo kid
04-02-2020, 10:05 AM
Even though we are under "STAY AT HOME" ORDERS, I snuck out to the range today......... BTW, I wasn't the only guy who was at the range.....
So, you may have potentially been exposed and could infect others. Why do you think the orders to stay at home are in place?

jimb16
04-02-2020, 05:31 PM
When the nearest person is 50+ feet away, risk of exposure is nil. Get a life. I get more exposure going to the pharmacy for my meds or the grocery store for food.

northmn
04-05-2020, 11:50 AM
I live on a 100 acre hobby farm with no close neighbors. Spring is my busiest time and even though retired I have to go out and cut wood for next winter. I do go to the grocery store on and off but follow their guide lines and go early in the morning when there are fewer people. Used a wipe they provide to wipe down the handle of the cart and kept it to open doors to get milk and that sort of thing. Keep my distance. Snow is finally down to go shooting but we had a temp drop. Will need to fix up my range a bit. Got a couple of rifles to check out. One is a Marlin with a less than ideal bore that seems to shoot anyway. Need to convince myself that it actually works. At 100 yards I have not seen anything with it that would miss a deer. Bought it to avoid D&T an old waffle top. Need ot get that one out too.

DEP

PNW_Steve
04-05-2020, 12:42 PM
In my state of Washington, the liquor stores and Pot shops are open, as they are deemed "essential", but the gun shops and ranges are closed.

Interesting.

Our "gun store" which is really a lumber yard that keeps a few guns, ammo and supplies is open 7:30am to 12:30pm. I am not sure what their inventory looks like. I didn't stop.

I did go to the range on Friday. Wore my mask and sprayed my station down with disinfectant. Had the place to myself.

I am guessing that you must be in King County?

PNW_Steve
04-05-2020, 12:45 PM
BTW: If not already mentioned here, the Trump administration has added the firearms industry as an "essential" business.

reivertom
04-07-2020, 05:04 PM
It's easy to keep them 6 feet away when everybody has a gun! :^)

JohnChrysostom
04-07-2020, 05:30 PM
Mazo i trust a Pastor and a Dr more than the Government "Montana physician Dr. Annie Bukacek discusses how COVID 19 death certificates are being manipulated" https://youtu.be/_5wn1qs_bBk

bikerbeans
04-07-2020, 06:55 PM
I belong to a private club and it is open. Went today with my son to test 20ga slug loads for a June hunt. Only one load is showing promise but needs to be proven at 100 yards.

We left the gate open on the 150 yard driveway. Two different folks pulled in but turned around and left. I think the buzzards circling me must have spooked them.:mrgreen:

BB

foesgth
04-07-2020, 09:26 PM
"I think the buzzards circling me must have spooked them."

Buzzards hunt by sense of smell, could that be why the folks left?

WinchesterM1
04-08-2020, 12:14 AM
I have been doing some rangework at the house

The neighbors are 3-400 yards away which is nice

northmn
04-15-2020, 03:10 PM
I have been doing some rangework at the house

The neighbors are 3-400 yards away which is nice

I have to do more of that type of setup. Shot too much paper through the years and its fun to blow things up or knock them over and that sort of thing.

DEP

Cosmic_Charlie
04-15-2020, 08:32 PM
Been cold and windy near the big lake. Going out Friday for some boonies bang'n.