PDA

View Full Version : 686 holster question

oldhenry
03-26-2020, 11:13 PM
I have 3 holsters from Mernickle. All 3 fit the guns like a glove.

I'm now toying with choosing a CC holster for my '90s era 4" 686+. I've been doing a computer search & came up with 3 possible candidates:
1. El Paso Saddlery: 1930 "Austin"
2. El Paso Saddlery: 1920 "Tom Threepersons"
3. Galco "Wheelgunner" #WG104 which is a switch type (strong side or X draw)

I can't determine from the info furnished if either are made for a specific gun or a one size fits all for a small group of guns. I suspect they are not made for a specific gun. All 3 have a top strap (which I don't like, but I could choose not to use it & fold it back). The Mernickles that I have do not have a strap to secure the gun because they fit so well none is needed.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the 3 holsters in question?

Thanks,
Henry

rintinglen
03-27-2020, 07:35 AM
The only one of the three that I have experience with was for a Colt Official Police Revolver and was the El Paso Saddlery "Tom Threepersons." It was perfectly fit to the gun. I would choose it over either of the others. Just based on examination of photos, The Austin is a modified mexican flap "western" style holster that would look fine on a cartridge belt but would not conceal well, and the Galco holster appears to ride awfully high, making it hard to draw from.

For what its worth, I would go with a pancake style holster for concealed carry of an L Frame 4 inch. Even then, it would be bulgy, but a loose shirt would cover it against casual observation.259197

oldhenry
03-27-2020, 03:44 PM
The only one of the three that I have experience with was for a Colt Official Police Revolver and was the El Paso Saddlery "Tom Threepersons." It was perfectly fit to the gun. I would choose it over either of the others. Just based on examination of photos, The Austin is a modified mexican flap "western" style holster that would look fine on a cartridge belt but would not conceal well, and the Galco holster appears to ride awfully high, making it hard to draw from.

For what its worth, I would go with a pancake style holster for concealed carry of an L Frame 4 inch. Even then, it would be bulgy, but a loose shirt would cover it against casual observation.259197

Thanks for the response.
Henry

gon2shoot
03-27-2020, 04:01 PM
I really like my Threepersons holster from El Paso, good fit to the gun.

txbirdman
03-27-2020, 04:40 PM

Here’s my 686 in a Dillon holster I bought off eBay. Since you don’t like a retention strap this might work for you if you can find one.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-27-2020, 05:30 PM
maybe give Milt Sparks a call I have a few from them they make great holsters https://www.miltsparks.com/gallery.php If you need it sooner TT gun leather make fine holsters https://www.ttgunleather.com/

I would like to add that the holsters that i have from them are all for bottom feeders

357Mag
03-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Oldhenry -

Howdy!

IMHO - the Galco product is closest to being a CCW holster.
Holsters w/ a retention strap seem ( to me ) to be less preferable than those featuring a “thumb break”
style arrangement.

The Galco holster shown however, positions the revolver muzzle-aft ( strong side ) and grip-aft when worn cross draw. This would bias gun purchase and draw into being performed limp-wristed vs a crossdraw holster that features a fwd muzzle rake ( strong side ) and grip-fwd when worn cross draw.
That orientation helps keep the gun-wrist-forearm axis all in prefered firm alignment .

If you can possibly afford, you might contact Ken Null of Resaka, Ga. Ken made me a superb holster to
my spec’s, for carrying my 4” custom heavy barrel M-520 .357 Mag. It is ultra high ride to keep the cylinder above the belt line, hugs the hip via use of 2 included belt slots, is thumb break style; and positions the gun muzzle-fwd when worn strong side. Superb workmanship, timely delivery; reasonable price.

With regards,
357Mag

oldhenry
03-27-2020, 09:29 PM

Here’s my 686 in a Dillon holster I bought off eBay. Since you don’t like a retention strap this might work for you if you can find one.

That is a beautiful holster. I could be happy with one like that.
Thanks,
Heny

oldhenry
03-27-2020, 09:30 PM
maybe give Milt Sparks a call I have a few from them they make great holsters https://www.miltsparks.com/gallery.php If you need it sooner TT gun leather make fine holsters https://www.ttgunleather.com/

I would like to add that the holsters that i have from them are all for bottom feeders

I'll check out those 2.
Thanks,
Heny

oldhenry
03-27-2020, 09:42 PM
Oldhenry -

Howdy!

IMHO - the Galco product is closest to being a CCW holster.
Holsters w/ a retention strap seem ( to me ) to be less preferable than those featuring a “thumb break”
style arrangement.

The Galco holster shown however, positions the revolver muzzle-aft ( strong side ) and grip-aft when worn cross draw. This would bias gun purchase and draw into being performed limp-wristed vs a crossdraw holster that features a fwd muzzle rake ( strong side ) and grip-fwd when worn cross draw.
That orientation helps keep the gun-wrist-forearm axis all in prefered firm alignment .

If you can possibly afford, you might contact Ken Null of Resaka, Ga. Ken made me a superb holster to
my spec’s, for carrying my 4” custom heavy barrel M-520 .357 Mag. It is ultra high ride to keep the cylinder above the belt line, hugs the hip via use of 2 included belt slots, is thumb break style; and positions the gun muzzle-fwd when worn strong side. Superb workmanship, timely delivery; reasonable price.

With regards,
357Mag

Good observation on the Galco. I'll take a fresh look @ the photos.

I had to refer to my Atlas to find Resaka. Thanks for the info on Ken Null: I may look him up when this COVID-19 settles down.

Thanks to everyone. I love this forum.

Henry