PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure

alexanderkidd
03-26-2020, 10:36 AM
Is there any advantage to the Lee auto disk powder measure, compared to normal drum-based powder measures?

hollywood63
03-26-2020, 11:03 AM
There are times when I wish I would have keep my disc setup and not gone to the drum. I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter what style they all seem to leak.

Just my .02

poppy42
03-26-2020, 12:43 PM
I have, and use a Lee autodisk. I have found it to be one of the most consistent powder measures that I have for loading pistol cartridges. Of course that depends on the powder you are using we all know that extruded powders don’t meter very well. Incidentally I also have a Lee safety desk which is a much older bench mounted version of the Autodisk. If you have a specific load that you use on a regular basis, it works great! Especially if its use, like I do, on a Lee Turret press.

cwlongshot
03-26-2020, 01:20 PM
You mean aside from dumping as much powder on your bench as in cases. ;)

Sorry. Not a fan of LEE powder measures.

Pick up a used RCBS or Redding for same $$ and carry on.

CW

onelight
03-26-2020, 01:27 PM
One of the things I like about the pro auto disk is the fixed cavities on the disks , if you keep notes of which one to use for your commonly used loads they are fast to set up throw a few charges to settle the powder and verify the charge and start loading no worry of the adjustment changing if you do want to change to a different cavity the hopper has a shutoff so you don't have to empty it . Kinda like an automated little dandy.
It's not the only measure I use but I use it the most mainly light to moderate handgun loads.

onelight
03-26-2020, 01:51 PM
You mean aside from dumping as much powder on your bench as in cases. ;)

Sorry. Not a fan of LEE powder measures.

Pick up a used RCBS or Redding for same $$ and carry on.

CW
You say they Leak a lot like they all do , I have 4 Lees a rcbs and a Lyman 55 I use my pro auto disks more than the others combined and I may have a few grains of the really fine powders on my press after a few hundred rounds but have never had a problem like you describe was yours the Pro Auto disk ?

tomme boy
03-26-2020, 03:51 PM
I have both the autodisc and autodrum. The drum leaks BAD. The disc just a very small amount. My RCBS NEVER leaks but I can't set the rcbs to function automatically on my progressive presses. I would have to manually operate the powder throw. The disc seems to be more accurate than the drum.

trails4u
03-26-2020, 03:59 PM
I like the disk measure for small pistol calibers. Mostly use mine for .380, as I have modified one of the chambers with a screw through the side of it which I can turn in and out for micro-adjustments. With flake powder...it's surprisingly consistent and repeatable. It is possible to make them run without leaking much....just takes some tinkering to find the right tension on the screws.

I use the drum for most everything else...

hollywood63
03-26-2020, 05:45 PM
If someone has a auto disc they hate I'll take it off your hands :grin:

sghart3578
03-26-2020, 05:54 PM
I have two autodrums and two autodisks. The drums are on my two auto breechlock pros and the disks are for my classic turrets.

None of the four leak.

YMMV

Steve in N CA

tomme boy
03-26-2020, 06:04 PM
Try Shooters World Auto Pistol powder and then say that. It is the finest powder I have ever seen

hollywood63
03-26-2020, 09:26 PM
Ultimate and Clean Shot also That shooters world is some fine powder...............no pun intended

onelight
03-26-2020, 11:18 PM
I have to confess I don't try to force feed any of my equipment stuff it does not like we have enough good choices I can usually find something that works be it a bullet for a particular barrel or powders for a particular press or PM some combinations just work better than others.

kmw1954
03-27-2020, 12:35 AM
I have 1 Auto Drum measures and 3 Auto Disk measures. One of the Disk measures is a Pro and the other two are the old regular ones that had the rectangular hopper. Of those one sits in the drawer and the other has been updated with the upgrade kit. Then of the two Disk measures I use one has a disk and the other has the micro adjustable disk.

I use these measures on a Lee Pro1000 and it is essential to keep loose powder off the press or it fouls the priming and jams up the press. I load primarily with AA#2, AA#5, Ramshot Silhouette and HP-38. All very fine ball powders and I have very little leakage. I spill more than I leak.

Agree with onelight that with the disks I can normally find two loadings with each powder with the disks. One is usually at or just above the start load and the other is usually somewhere at or just above the middle load and then one will be just past the normal max load and into the +P range. It has gotten to where I have found a nice load weight that is mid-range and then when I load it I mark the load with the powder and the cavity number used.

tazman
03-27-2020, 01:30 PM
I have never used Shooters World powders. My Lee Pro Auto Disk measures don't leak with the Winchester, Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant powders I do use.
I have these measures on turrets for my Lee Classic Cast turret press. I have six of them and they all work reliably.
Calibers are 223, 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 40S&W, and 45ACP.
For the larger caliber rifles, I use my RCBS uniflow measure.

JeffG
03-27-2020, 11:59 PM
The Pro Auto-Disk works great. I probably have 5-6 of them besides a hornady and rcbs drum, and the auto-disk does a great job.

GT1
03-28-2020, 01:46 AM
I have a couple of the pro disk measures. I like them a lot. I never noticed a lot of powder getting away, but I load hp 38 and AA2230(that one is pretty fine). I get more powder 'bounce' filling the hoppers than any loss from the slide.
They are both at least as good as my dillon measures, which are basically identical in operation(same patent as I recall mike dillon paid richard lee for the rights to use the design).

Don't know the auto drum but some quick searching online shows they can be polished in to match just like the old lee perfects, making them non-leaking unless you are going really fine(110/296) in which case I don't think there is a measure made that does not throw a little of that around.

leadhead
03-28-2020, 08:30 AM
I just ordered a Pro disk measure.... I have 3 of the lee square measures I've had for years.
One is set up with the disks and the other 2 have charge bars. I only use them for pistol
and use a Redding measure for rifle. I just thought the Pro would be easier to change disks
with the shut off set up on the hopper. It is a real PITA to change disks on the other ones.
Denny

hpdrifter
03-28-2020, 10:57 AM
If someone has a auto disc they hate I'll take it off your hands :grin:

When you get enough, send me some of the extras.

I just ordered a Pro disk measure.... I have 3 of the lee square measures I've had for years.
One is set up with the disks and the other 2 have charge bars. I only use them for pistol
and use a Redding measure for rifle. I just thought the Pro would be easier to change disks
with the shut off set up on the hopper. It is a real PITA to change disks on the other ones.
Denny

The Pro is worth the few extra bucks for that reason.

onelight
03-29-2020, 10:12 PM
The pro also has a replaceable silicone gasket between the disk and hopper that helps prevent the leaking with fine powders that the base model had.
I have one of the old models with the upgrade kit and it works as good as the pro model.

Gaseous Maximus
03-29-2020, 10:37 PM
The pro also has a replaceable silicone gasket between the disk and hopper that helps prevent the leaking with fine powders that the base model had.
I have one of the old models with the upgrade kit and it works as good as the pro model.

I have a couple of them on my pro 1000's, 9mm and 38 spc. Mostly Tight Group powder, haven't had any trouble with excessive leakage. I also have a couple RCBS, a Lyman 55, and a fixed bushing measure that I made years ago. I also like the fixed bushing, especially for long runs. They don't get out of adjustment.

painless
04-02-2020, 05:41 PM
Denny

I have the older, square Lee auto disk. Have had it since 1984. Never had a problem with spilled powder. I live out in the sticks, and usually don't have much choice in powder. I just use what I can find.

I recently came across a good deal on Accurate #2. problem is, the load for 148 gr LWC is 2.6 grains. Much too small for Lee's smallest disk.

I ordered a micro adjust charge bar. Got it dialed in in about 4 strokes. No leakage. Not gonna fix what ain't broke.

GT1
04-04-2020, 04:10 PM
The adjustable charge bars work well, I run those.
For anyone wanting to skip the 12 bucks and waiting, this will do the trick too.

HoosierShooter
04-04-2020, 04:43 PM
GT1, sweet tweak!

DAVIDMAGNUM
04-05-2020, 10:04 AM
I have a Lee Classic Turret press and the Pro Auto Disk. Here are some of my thoughts.
The Pro Disk works and throws surprisingly accurate powder charges. Now, I shoot lever action Winchesters at moderate distances. One hundred meters for pistol caliber and 200 meters for pistol and rifle calibers. My goal is 2 MOA at those distances, and of course better is not complained about. So I may not be as exacting about what I call accurate/consistent powder charges as someone shooting F Class.... I use it for flake, ball, stick, Cheerios (Trailboss) and Swiss Black Powder. (more on that later) I have not used it for some of the notoriously large stick powders that crunch. The stick powders that work well for me are: Reloader 7 and 10X, H4227 and 4895, and Varget.
The hopper is on the powder through die on the turret. When the Pro Disk is set up correctly the hopper is over the center axis of the turret. So even with the turret turning from station to station the hopper only spins on it's axis. The powder does not slosh around. I have tested every powder I use. Even moving around on the turret the powder charges are consistent. There is one modification that I made to the Pro Disk units I use. I put an RCBS powder baffle in each . It made my RCBS powder measure more accurate, so I figured it could/should/would help the Pro Disk.
One of the advantages I see on the above scenarios is that the Lee Pro Disk is very portable. The linkage and action parts are on the self contained unit. It moves easily without adjustments from one Turret to another.
I mentioned black powder. I have a second Pro Disk I set up for black powder. I have access to torches, braze and copper fittings. I made a "copper hopper" out of some scrap copper and a reducer fitting. It works quite well . I can post a picture or two if anyone wants. Now, I know that two Pro Disk risers only give me about six inches of drop tube for trickling black powder into the case. Again I am not looking for 1,000 yard 1/2 MOA accuracy. I load A LOT of 44WCF black powder rounds for Lever Action Silhouette. I have found to my satisfaction a balance between accuracy and production. I pull down the handle on the press until the powder charge just starts flowing and hold it there. The Pro Disk allows me to see the charge being trickled. I have tested dumping vs my version of trickling. It works.
I also did another modification to my black powder Pro Disk. I bought TWO double disk sets . I cut the ears off of one side of two risers for the double disk use. I easily made a Lee Pro Disk triple disk powder measure. I use it for loading a 45-70 . The disks lock together and yes it throws accurate powder charges.

shawnrmartin75102
04-09-2020, 09:33 PM
The adjustable charge bars work well, I run those.
For anyone wanting to skip the 12 bucks and waiting, this will do the trick too.
259715I love it! Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
04-10-2020, 08:27 AM
I have one PAD and a bunch of disks for it. These include the micro disk as well as blank disks. I’ve drilled the blank ones for loads I use often that fell in between the stock holes. It leaks far less than any other measure I own w/ H110. Even the Dillon measures I have leak w/ H110.

I like the fact that I don’t have to adjust anything w/ it. Dump powder, run ten charges, check weight to confirm and start loading. Anything to save time since my free time is extremely limited.