PDA

View Full Version : Hammer

Divedigger
03-26-2020, 03:42 AM
What's the best hammer, knocker or whatever to open sprue plates, I've used dogwood but it gets beat up after a while. What about the replaceable nylon face hammers?

rcslotcar
03-26-2020, 03:52 AM
I've settled on an old Sears brand nylon hammer.

Bazoo
03-26-2020, 05:16 AM
I use a cherry knocker about 12" long and 1 3/4" diameter. I've used other hardwoods like ash or birch. Seems like a tight grained wood holds up better.

bobthenailer
03-26-2020, 07:20 AM
A small hammer with a raw hide head (Brownells ) been using the same one for 30+ years

DHDeal
03-26-2020, 08:00 AM
Garland rawhide mallet.

I've used wooden mallets and delrin mallets for some time. The wooden mallets eventually send chunks all over the place and the delrin mallets don't, but the delrin tends to bounce.

There was a thread recently on one of the sub forums about the Garland mallet. As I wasn't too happy with the delrin mallet I've been using, I got a Garland off of Amazon. Very nice and acts like a deadblow hammer. I suspect I'll wear it out if I cast for another 20 years. Truth is that if the mold will allow me to open the sprue plate with a glove, I'll do that, but when the mold isn't quite up to temp, a mallet is necessary for me.

LenH
03-26-2020, 08:35 AM
I use a homemade lead hammer with an all thread handle wrapped in electrical tape. There is a sticky here somewhere that shows how to do it.
When is gets beat up just stick it in the melt and then cast a new one.

I use some 6 & 8 cavity molds, H&G recommended the use of a lead259364259364 hammer for large molds.

redriverhunter
03-26-2020, 09:05 AM
a harbor freight hammer handle is what is use rrh

Rattlesnake Charlie
03-26-2020, 09:10 AM
Old hammer handles, pieces of shovel handles, etc. The hickory eventually gets a bit beat up at which point it goes into the chiminea.

Green Frog
03-26-2020, 01:23 PM
Old hammer handles, pieces of shovel handles, etc. The hickory eventually gets a bit beat up at which point it goes into the chiminea.

^^This^^

When we started casting about 45 years ago, Dad had just broken the head off of a small hammer. It made a good sprue knocker, and I’m only on my second or perhaps third such repurposed handle after all this time. :mrgreen:

Froggie

Winger Ed.
03-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Back in the 90's, I quit using a hammer at all.

Turn the mold block so the plate opens counter clockwise, and turn it while wearing a big thick welding glove.
Home Depot sells the same ones in the bar-b-que grill accessory section, or the welding gear area.

Turn the sprue plate just after the sprue turns dull.
It's fast, and the Lead is still soft enough not to dull out the cutting edge of the plate.

I keep a old hammer handle near by to tap the hinge point on the handles if the boolits don't just drop out.

JM7.7x58
03-26-2020, 01:56 PM
We have a bush that grows around here called ocean spray, it also goes by the name iron wood. The natives used it to make digging sticks, second year growth makes good arrows, and if glued at the handle a good bow can be made from it. I use a stout tapered piece about as big around as a d cell battery on one end, and a foot long as a mold mallet. All the woods that make good bows would do well (Osage orange, black locust, vine maple, hickory, also fruit wood can be great stuff, apple and plum especially. Many of us have something on our burn pile right now out in the yard that would work.

country gent
03-26-2020, 03:25 PM
I read on Steve Brooks mould site that he recommends a small dead blow mallet. I tried it and have used a 8 oz slimline head model since. I like it as its light and still works well the no mar cover is easy on the plate. I would describe the blow I give as more of a push than a hit.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-26-2020, 03:35 PM
I've got a piece of hardwood dowel about 1 1/2 inches in diameter x 10 inches long. Not sure, but I think it's oak.

iomskp
03-26-2020, 11:30 PM
I have a box of lead mallets from the local plumbing school I guess that they will out last me

georgerkahn
03-27-2020, 08:28 AM
MY choice is a lead hammer cast from a Hensley & Gibbs mould hammer mould! Two "sad" notes: 1st, waaay back when, I recall (sort of -- I don't believe I dreamed it ;)) there was a "floating one" on this site -- where one could sign it out, receive & cast, and then return/pass it on. The second "sad" note is a fellow on a major auction site had one, made H&G hammers, and purveyed them -- QUITE costly -- but after, if I recall, a birthday -- I was presented one. Replacing a hammer handle -- it surely works well!
geo

mdi
03-27-2020, 12:52 PM
I have a plastic faced mallet (6-8 oz.?) I purchased so long ago I forgot where I got it. I have used it around the shop, on my Lee Loaders, and as a sprue knocker. It shows very little wear and it'll probably last another 20-30 years. I have no need for a "special" tool to remove sprues and in 30 years of casting I have never damaged a mold whacking the sprue plate with my my yellar plastic faced mallet. It would prolly bother me to purchase a good, hardwood hammer handle and chew it up smacking a narrow piece of steel (I'm a lifelong tool nut)...

beshears
03-27-2020, 05:25 PM
Hammer handle.

Rapidrob
03-27-2020, 05:42 PM
Hickory hammer handle.

Biggin
03-27-2020, 06:02 PM
I read on Steve Brooks mould site that he recommends a small dead blow mallet. I tried it and have used a 8 oz slimline head model since. I like it as its light and still works well the no mar cover is easy on the plate. I would describe the blow I give as more of a push than a hit.

I've only been at this a couple years but a dead blow hammer with some scrap leather glued to the faces is what I like. The leather helps keep the plastic from melting to the mold. Just don't set it down on fresh dropped boolits. They will stick to the plastic! Lol!

ostrick
03-27-2020, 06:03 PM
Rawhide mallet, lightweight and tough.

lightman
03-29-2020, 11:51 AM
I use a plastic tipped mallet. I'm guessing its 4 to 6oz. Its as old as I am and I don't know where it was purchased. This works well on molds up to 4 cavity. I don't have a mold larger than that.

I sometimes cast with 2 other friends. One of them uses a hickory tool handle. The other settled on a plastic tipped hammer close to the weight of mine after he tried several other things.

gwpercle
03-29-2020, 03:38 PM
a harbor freight hammer handle is what is use rrh

Mine is a Sears hardwood replacement hammer handle also (for a claw hammer) . I hold the small end and strike the sprue plate with the fat end . After 40 years I replaced my first one , simply because my dad had a new replacement handle and wasn't going to use it...40 year old one still worked but I don't look a gift handle in the mouth .

Walks
03-29-2020, 04:35 PM
Old Hickory hatchet handle for 35+yrs. Got stolen, couldn't find another that had the same balance. Now use a plastic mallet 6-8oz that I bought 30yrs ago for my kids to hammer in their tent stakes.
It's Bright Orange

Gaseous Maximus
03-29-2020, 10:16 PM
Used sledge hammer handle cut in about 12 " sections

coloraydo
03-30-2020, 01:09 AM
10" piece of the butt end of a pool stick.

GONRA
03-31-2020, 06:04 PM
GONRA uses a chunk of Scrap Lumber for decades....

Hamish
03-31-2020, 07:16 PM
What's the best hammer, knocker or whatever to open sprue plates, I've used dogwood but it gets beat up after a while. What about the replaceable nylon face hammers?

The BEST hammer is no hammer at all. After the first couple of pours, breaking the sprue with a gloved hand is all thats needed.

RKJ
03-31-2020, 07:36 PM
I use a piece of (about 12") hardwood wrapped in duct tape. The tape cuts down on the wood splinters and cushions my hand.

Beerd
03-31-2020, 09:45 PM
I like the answer Hamish gave :drinks:

Zingger
04-01-2020, 07:16 AM
Dead blow hammer picked up at the state fair "super deal" tool table. Works great and if it ever wears out I will buy another.

ioon44
04-01-2020, 08:48 AM

Here is how I fixed my Hickory hammer after it was getting wore down and full of splinters.

gwpercle
04-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Old Hickory hatchet handle for 35+yrs. Got stolen, couldn't find another that had the same balance. Now use a plastic mallet 6-8oz that I bought 30yrs ago for my kids to hammer in their tent stakes.
It's Bright Orange

It simply amazes me what a thief will steal... an old hatchet handle....:holysheep

Mk42gunner
04-01-2020, 01:49 PM
For years I used an old dead blow hammer (about 8 ounce), then I stupidly destroyed it driving a steel punch. I then tried the twist the sprue plate with a leather glove trick, this works well once the mold is up to temp.

I recently found a plastic (nylon, whatever) teardrop shaped mallet at Harbor Fright that works even better than the deadblow. Not quite as heavy so it is easy to keep in my hand while operating the bottom pour control to fill the mold.

Robert

JoeJames
04-01-2020, 01:57 PM
An old surveyor had a tow sack of Hickory hammer handles (seconds) he used as survey stakes. He gave me it to me. I use one of them.

Thin Man
04-02-2020, 07:01 AM
I had to replace the handles on my wheelbarrow a few years ago after they rotted out at the front end near the wheel. I cut off the handle ends at about 12" long and these work well enough that they will out-last me.

Drm50
04-02-2020, 10:00 AM
For years been using a handle for a cross cut saw. It was old and in the junk in my grandmas basement when I started in 60s

rustypot
04-03-2020, 12:30 PM
I been using old cut down squeegee handle from gas station,just ask them to save you one when when they change them out

Dapaki
04-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Hickory hammer handle from Menards. 20 years of service and still not shredded!

1hole
04-03-2020, 03:38 PM
What we need as a mold hammer is something handy, durable, hard enough to work well and still soft enough to not damage the steel sprue plate and the mold handle's hinge.

Hardwood sticks like fat dowel rods/hammer handles work pretty well and they're cheap. Down side is wood batters up pretty fast; up side is wood's easy to replace. So, sticks work pretty good but not perfect.

Soft face (dead blow) hammers (lead/plastic/leather) work well but even they eventually batter up and are (relatively) expensive. Soft face hammers require a harder hit than is "best" for the molds and, in use, it takes a moment to insure the hammer face is properly orientated before it's swung; very good but still not perfect.

After long using a variety of mold hammers I happened upon a short piece of 1" copper pipe and suddenly had a good idea to use it to make a "soft" metal club for casting. I cut off a 10-11" section and installed a cap fitting on one end, then held it vertical and filled 3 or 4 inches with wheel weight metal. I'd originally intended to jam a few inches of 1" dowel as a handle into the open end but soon found I didn't need anything better than the pipe itself.

Now, after several years of use, the copper pipe has a lot of small dings around the heavy end but nothing that degrades its performance and no mold damage has occurred. I consider it perfect for my casting needs!

Moonie
04-05-2020, 02:47 AM
I just use a gloved hand to open the mold... Never did like the idea of beating on a boolit mold myself.

Winger Ed.
04-05-2020, 03:20 AM
I just use a gloved hand to open the mold...

I feel vindicated.
Until I saw the last few responses---I thought I was the only one that used a glove.

When I get my rhythm going, with a mold that drops when ya open it, I can put a 1 or 2 cavity mold
back & forth under the spout about every 10-12-
sometimes as much as 15 seconds with the sprue eased back into the pot.

rmark
04-06-2020, 12:53 PM
12 inch piece of 1x2 pine or my gloved hand. Depends on how stubborn the sprues are that day.

sljacob
04-13-2020, 09:35 PM
gloved hand with an old wood hammer handle handy to tap a sticky boolit out if needed

tankgunner59
04-14-2020, 02:19 PM
I bought an old wooden Louisville Slugger baseball bat at a local flea market, I cut the hand grip section off and use it to open my sprue plates. Works great.

Win94ae
04-14-2020, 08:53 PM
I use a stick. :/
Looks to be curly maple, probably ripped from a 1x board. When that one fails, I'll grab another piece of scrap wood from the pile.

LAH
05-02-2020, 09:29 PM
If using one mould it's opened with my hand. With multiple moulds I use a hammer handle.

2A-Jay
05-27-2020, 03:19 AM
I use the old Soft Plastic Sprue Plate Mallet my Deceased Uncle gave me. He told me he bought it in the '70s It is still looking almost new. All his reloading equipment was either Herters or Lyman, as the mallet head is Light Orange I am thinking it is Lyman.

kevin c
05-27-2020, 04:03 AM
All my six and eight cavity gang molds have the Lee style cammed sprue plate opener, but I still use a hammer on the handle bolt to tap out stubborn boolits. I've used plastic solid and dead blow hammers, and lead weighted dowels, but they all get chewed up. I've since started to use a Garland lead weighted rawhide mallet. I am now a happy man.

littlejack
05-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Another plus for rawhide hammer. You can pick them up at leather supply shop/store. Been using the same one for 55 years.

sackettboys
05-28-2020, 01:03 PM
I used a rawhide mallet but lost it during a move, I now use a 1" diameter x 12" long piece of Derlin.

David2011
05-28-2020, 02:10 PM
My favorite seems to be a hammer handle. Mike Venturino posted here that he liked a dead blow hammer so I got one. It works well but it’s much heavier than a hammer handle. I also have a well worn rawhide mallet that my mentor used to open sprue plates. I’ve used them all but even if all three are on the bench I keep grabbing the hammer handle.

I also use sprue lube and once a rhythm is established the sprue opens easily with a gloved hand.

Sven205
05-28-2020, 02:20 PM
Hardwood dowel, inch to inch and a half. When one gets beat up cut another piece. One dowel can be cut to 4 usable sprue plate whackers.

When you're looking around the shop a lot of stuff can be used as a "hammer" :shock:

Outpost75
05-28-2020, 02:36 PM
NAPA 1 pound rubber mallet $5.99. Been using the same one ten years I got for $1.99.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_5751018?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwr32BRD4ARIsAAJNf_3_tP2eGfDrUR6wBIwf UFWSYADy8dDOOwUkbi_U9SRP8GRkn6SttpAaAiPcEALw_wcB

dragon813gt
05-28-2020, 04:23 PM
I use an oak dowel. Probably around 1.5” diameter. Don’t know how old it is but I’ve never used anything else and won’t have to replace it anytime soon.

robg
05-29-2020, 03:18 PM
used a chair brace for a few years till it broke now use s small nylon faced hammer .

Jniedbalski
05-29-2020, 03:28 PM
I just use a 12’’ long bar of solder I think it’s 50/50 .it’s hard enough to work but soft enough to not tear stuff up. Works good. I have wanted to melt it down several times for the tin. But then I would be without my knocker.

brass410
05-29-2020, 03:34 PM
composite carvers mallet here, because it fits good to the hand (transmits no vibration to wrist carperol tunnel issue) non damaging to mould. Really if I spend $$$ to buy nice moulds then why shouldn't I have a nice mallet to match. Yes I'm a tool freak and I like nice high quality tools. I'm sure there are others things that will work but tools are an extension of the hand and I like to hold onto nice things ie red heads with green eyes, blondes with blue eyes, and brunettes with brown eyes.

izzyjoe
05-30-2020, 10:18 AM
I use an old broken handle from a post hole digger, been using for 10yrs, its beat up but I still use it! I have a small dead blow hammer, but it didn't feel right to me, but I turned it around and used the handle, and felt better. So if I ever retire the wood beater, I'll cut the handle of the dead blow, and use that probably the rest of my life, unless somebody steals it!

alamogunr
05-30-2020, 11:10 AM
georgerkahn mentioned the hammer mold that was going around a few years ago. It went thru my hands after casting 3 hammers. That is what I use to open sprue plates until I get things adjusted enough that I can use my gloved hand to open. The first one is still in use and at the rate it is getting beat up, the other two will go my sons in new condition.

As I recall, the hammer mold disappeared a few users after I passed it on. That was a real shame since there were several still on the list when it was no more.

Kylongrifle32
06-02-2020, 09:27 AM
An oak tabacco stick about 14" long has been in use on my bench for twenty years now.

Conditor22
06-02-2020, 12:47 PM
+1 on rawhide mallet.

I have 3 different weights.

most molds drop easily --- some take a little more persuasion :)

I find mallets are easier to aim-hit the handle bolt

Gar10
06-02-2020, 12:56 PM
I had a couple of broken baseball bats lying around one made from ash and the other made of maple. I cut them off about 12 inches above the knob and sanded the edge smooth, works great.

joebaja
06-05-2020, 12:11 AM
"Nothing like a good piece of hickory"

Tritium
06-08-2020, 10:16 PM
10" of broken hickory axe handle head.

alfloyd
06-13-2020, 10:09 PM
I made one like this one.
https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/tools/mould-mallet

Lafaun

Ozark mike
06-13-2020, 10:38 PM
Im seeing baseball bat handles hammers and other things i would call rough on a mold if it takes that much force. Just push on the sprue plate and it should cut er off with out much force unless I'm missin something.

missionary5155
07-05-2020, 05:57 PM
Hickory whatevers...........
When I started casting on my own shortly after the green machine turned me loose found a pile of hammer handles for sale. Bought a dozen for $5.
Used one on a hammer and so far on #4 opening molds.
Mike in LLama Land