PDA

View Full Version : Does the Hy-tek coating effect BHN hardness

GSP7
03-25-2020, 03:31 PM
Does the Hy Tek coating make a 12 bhn lead bullet act like a harder bhn rated bullet than uncoated

For example a .44cal 240 grain Kieth style SWC 12 bhn, would a coated (HY-Tek) bullet perform like a harder BHN, than same 12 bhn bullet uncoated?

.:Fire:

Ausglock
03-25-2020, 04:00 PM
NO. The coating has no bearing on the BHN.

GSP7
03-25-2020, 04:04 PM
never bought coated before so I dont know what its like...Thought it might be like hard plastic and effect mushrooming

Four-Sixty
03-25-2020, 04:29 PM
A uniform coating must have some effect on the performance of the bullet.

What if you threw a peeled orange, versus an unpeeled orange against the wall? I would think if they hit at the same velocity, and mass, the peeled one would splatter more. Not the best analogy. I would think though that a uniform covering, particularly in its entirety, would affect bullet performance some way.

Without the same deformation, does it "act" harder?

GSP7
03-25-2020, 04:45 PM
I would think though that a uniform covering, particularly in its entirety, would affect bullet performance some way.

I would think the coating will effect mushrooming and expansion in some way also

Conditor22
03-25-2020, 07:36 PM
IF you quench the boolit before coating and rely on the extra hardness quenching gives you then yes both HiTek and Powdercoating will affect the end hardness because baking the boolit to set the coating will take most of what you gained by quenching.

If you quench after the last coat, you can gain much of the extra hardness back.