PDA

View Full Version : Shipping cost of handgun?

littlejack
03-24-2020, 02:30 PM
I dont know if this is the proper site for this or not, but here goes.
12 days ago I won a handgun on GunBroker. I sent the seller the winning bid in the form of a USPSMO. It took snail mail 7 days to get it to the seller in Arkansas. It was signed for and delivered. The seller went to ship it, via UPS, and the shipping fee was over 200.00 to my FFL in Corvallis Oregon. They flagged him because he was not an FFL holder. So, he took it to his dealer/FFL, and their UPS shipping is 190.00. So, he called me and tells me that he can't take that much of a hit for shipping. He hasn't cashed the MO, and told me he would send it back, OK? I told him I didn't have much choice, DO I? I told him I didn't want the money back, I wanted the handgun I had won, and for him to honor the auction agreement. Wanting the handgun, I told him I would send him half the postage, being 95.00. I told him I would send my half of the shipping cost, being 95.00
When he sent proof the handgun was sent.
So, he is supposed to contact me with the proof of it being sent when his FFL dealer gets it sent off. I guess my question is;
He should have known what the shipping fee was going to be when he posted the handgun for auction, CORRECT?
Has anyone been caught up in this type of situation?
Opinions please.
Regards

littlejack
03-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Oh, one other thing.
I contacted GunBroker, and apparently they expect buyers and sellers to solve their own issues. The seller said he would even give up his membership at GunBroker to not go through with the sale. So much for his A+ rating.

OutHuntn84
03-24-2020, 02:42 PM
Right now some shipping costs are through the roof! I have seen that on some things I have tried to order lately and I have canceled my orders because of outrageous shipping costs. That really isn't his fault and I cant blame him for not wanting to just take the hit on it. Maybe ask him to hold onto it and give you first dibs when shipping calms down.

NSB
03-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Have him call around and look for another FFL to send it. My local FFL charges $90 and that's mostly profit. The gun can be shipped a lot cheaper than that. I might be wrong on this part, but I believe an FFL can still ship through the mail.

JimB..
03-24-2020, 02:54 PM
I paid $60 to send one UPS a couple months ago.

The beauty of using the FFL is that they can use USPS, and I’d expect it to be cheap.

littlejack
03-24-2020, 03:08 PM
I did tell him to try another FFL dealer in his area. He told me he had delt with three others in the past, and he won't do business with them again. I realize that the shipping fee is high. I thought I was stepping up to the plate to help him out him out with half of the fee, even though it is not my responsibility. If I had been the seller, l would have known what the shipping fees were before I put the item up for auction. If I hadn't known the shipping fee, by God I would have took the hit to keep my part of the bargain. I was raised by two Okie parents to honor your word, and when you make a deal with someone, you stick to your part of the deal. I know, in this day and age, that's doesn't hold true to many people.
But it does me.

Greg S
03-24-2020, 03:20 PM
Is it something not in production anymore. I'd walk myself. Sounds fishy to me for 2bills. My friend is an Internet FFL and ships everything for 30-40 bucks. Handguns USPS and long guns FEDEX with his account. I'd discretely find out the shop and inquire myself. It might be price gouging and if so I'd walk.

jimb16
03-24-2020, 03:42 PM
Just remember that any handgun must be shipped overnight. Long guns don't. That accounts for the much higher cost. But even so, that amount is much higher than it should be.

Sam Casey
03-24-2020, 03:50 PM
My area dealer (FFL) will pack and ship for $80.

clintsfolly
03-24-2020, 04:20 PM
My FFL mailed my handguns for $20. and cost of mailing. Never spent more $40. total. When gunsmith returns them he get $20. I figure it’s worth that to know my guns not setting on the porch and is in good hands!

Shawlerbrook
03-24-2020, 04:26 PM
Sounds like price gouging to me . I was looking at handguns on GB and most shipping was $20 or less. As an aside, I only buy guns from ffl holders online. Just my preference.

littlejack
03-24-2020, 05:06 PM
The seller told me a couple days ago, that his FFL only deals with UPS.
I just came back from the PO, and the clerk quoted me, for a handgun, from FFL to FFL, 27.xx for a 7 pound package, and 38.xx for a 10 pound package. Doesnt sound like his FFL is taking very good care of his steady customers. What's up? Apparently he doesnt want to go to the trouble of driving to the PO.

ReloaderFred
03-24-2020, 05:36 PM
An FFL dealer can ship a handgun via Flat Rate Box, to another FFL, however he/she has to fill out form 1508, which is a simple form: https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

If he/she adds insurance, then that's on top of the cost of the Flat Rate Box, and can normally be done for about $25.00+/- total. When I had my FFL, that was my preferred way of shipping a handgun, and it's normally quicker than FedEx or UPS, and a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rockrat
03-24-2020, 05:40 PM
He could send it in a flat rate box for about $20 insured. Thats all it cost me, besides the $20 FFL fee to send a S&W 28. UPS was $105 and Fedex was $85. If all the FFL dealer will do is UPS, he needs to get another FFL dealer.

littlejack
03-24-2020, 05:45 PM
Update:
I just called the seller and told him what I found out at the PO. He said he knew that information. Apparently, he has four PO's in his area. I don't know how much area he is talking about. Here's the catch; Apparently the manager/s of the PO's are such that they can make up some of their own restrictions. His FFL/dealer told him that the PO's in their area will NOT accept firearms period.

PNW_Steve
03-24-2020, 06:15 PM
The handguns that I have bought there were shipped for $10-$20.

I just bought a Walther PPS from a seller in Florida. I am in Washington .State. They charged me $10 for shipping.

The shipping on the last AR rifle i bought from PSA was $19

These folks appear to get special shipping rates.

littlejack
03-24-2020, 06:23 PM
I dont know, seems to me, the whole system is screwed up. There seems to be different rates for a whole lot of different people and FFL's.

Snow ninja
03-24-2020, 06:33 PM
What was the agreement on shipping at the gunbroker auction? There’s always a line stating shipping costs. Usually a dollar amount or a line that says Buyer Pays Actual Shipping Costs. I feel it would be obligated to that.

littlejack
03-24-2020, 07:48 PM
Listing states, 3rd day shipping 30.00
Ground 25.00.
In my last conversation, the handgun is at his FFL/dealer being boxed up. Supposed to picked up by UPS tomorrow. As I look at what has happened, I believe it was a combination of a lot of things that went south at the same time. I believe I won the bidding of the handgun at a good price. So, with the circumstances of the situation, I have no choice. Besides, I want the handgun more than I want my money back.
Item, Used, pristine, Davidsons Exclusive Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter 41 Magnum. Money sent 720.00. Money for extra shipping, 95.00. Total 815.00. The saying goes something like this.
If you're happy with the price you payed, it was a good buy.
I'm happy.
Thank you for y'all's input.

alamogunr
03-24-2020, 08:01 PM
I got a handgun from a dealer on GunBroker a few weeks ago. I didn't say won because it was a "buy it now" situation. I'm sure I paid a little more but the free shipping and no credit card fee were advantageous to me. Those 2 things were worth at least $50-60. I did check around GunBroker and could not find that particular handgun near that much less than I paid.

littlejack
03-24-2020, 08:09 PM
If you're happy, that's what counts.

ddixie884
03-24-2020, 08:47 PM
On a scarce hard to find item I guess you can bite the bullet. I would normally call his bluff and make him take the GB hit otherwise.......

When S&W 696s were hard to get I bought one on GB and the seller charged me nearly $90.00. He dropped this on me after the auction. I think the gun didn't bring what he wanted it to. I did get a good buy on it. I gave up the money but gave him an F on his feedback and went into detail about what a dishonest seller he was............

Drm50
03-24-2020, 08:54 PM
This is a rip off. I send guns UPS to FFLs all the time and only pay shipping. Depends where it’s going as to how much. My FFL charges a flat $35 but he can send USPS flat rate, so he’s making $20 a gun. ( insurance extra )

Kraschenbirn
03-24-2020, 09:35 PM
Shipping for my last GB handgun purchase (3-4 months ago) was $35, including insurance, from FFL seller in NC to gunshop just up the road. Took longer to get the gun...IL background check and waiting period...than it took USPS to get it here.

Bill

littlejack
03-24-2020, 10:15 PM
Ok, I did what I should have done when he first quoted me the 190.00 shipping fee. I called UPS. Shipping from his FFL in Arkansas to my FFL in Oregon is:
50.00 air.
35.00 for 3 day.
25.00 ground.
So, tomorrow I'm going to call him and ask him; What's going on?

JimB..
03-24-2020, 10:25 PM
Ok, I did what I should have done when he first quoted me the 190.00 shipping fee. I called UPS. Shipping from his FFL in Arkansas to my FFL in Oregon is:
50.00 air.
35.00 for 3 day.
25.00 ground.
So, tomorrow I'm going to call him and ask him; What's going on?

What’s going on is his buddy is an FFL and charging $150 for the transfer, then kicking some of it back.

Also explains the lies about what the USPS will or will not do.

Nice gun though!

Drm50
03-24-2020, 10:38 PM
The point is you don’t need a FFL to ship to a FFL. You can ship UPS or Fedex yourself. Only FFLs can ship handguns in US mail. Individuals can ship long guns in the mail.

fatelk
03-24-2020, 11:51 PM
Big companies that ship a lot get a significant discount. For example, I sent a revolver back for repair work last year, from Oregon to Florida, and was able to use my employer's corporate UPS account (with permission, and I paid) for the discount. I think it was Next Day Air, insured, with Adult Signature required, and it was something like $26. I don't remember what full retail was, but it was a lot more.

Maybe it just went for less than he was expecting, and he figured he'd either hose you with shipping to make up the difference, or you'd just back out and he could keep it. Who knows. Either way, if you're happy with it and OK with what it cost you, then all's well that ends well. :)

littlejack
03-25-2020, 12:33 AM
I talked to him on the phone, after he had received the text I sent him about the shipping rates. He had rechecked the fees, and found that he had failed to check the option to get a cheaper rate. Tomorrow, he is going to pick up the package at his FFL, and go to the UPS facility and send it from there, hopefully with the proper shipping rate.

littlejack
03-25-2020, 12:42 AM
I truly believe the seller is trying to get this transaction closed, as cheap and fairly as possible. Anyway, the cats out of the bag.

fatelk
03-25-2020, 01:18 AM
Glad it's working out. Sounds like a neat gun!

OutHuntn84
03-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Wow what a goose chase, but that is one slick looking pistol!!!

Burnt Fingers
03-25-2020, 11:32 AM
Local Post Offices aren't allowed to make their own rules. Have an FFL box it up, fill out the form, and take to the PO. If they balk ask them to call the postal inspectors.

cabezaverde
03-25-2020, 11:54 AM
My FFL mailed my handguns for $20. and cost of mailing. Never spent more $40. total. When gunsmith returns them he get $20. I figure it’s worth that to know my guns not setting on the porch and is in good hands!

Me too!

RJM52
03-25-2020, 12:50 PM
I have a local dealer who charges $10.00 over the actual shipping cost... And all handguns can go in a flat-rate USPS box if brought to the PO by a licensed dealer. Add some insurance to that and depending on the size of the box. The most I have ever been charged for a shipment is about $35.00...most are under $30.

The other dealers I deal with here are usually a $25.00 fee...

The last time I looked UPS and FedEx handguns do not have to be shipped OVERNIGHT but can also be shipped Second Day Air. This is a lot less money.

This is the fault of the seller for not knowing the shipping price before he posted the add. As a Buyer I also ALWAYS contact the Seller before I even bid on an auction if it says "Buyer Pays Actual Shipping Cost".

Just because someone has a A+ rating doesn't mean they know what they are doing...that rating could have all been from other Sellers rating someone as a Buyer...

Bob

PNW_Steve
03-25-2020, 01:11 PM
My FFL has charged $25 to receive a gun for me for several years. Last week I picked up two and without a word he charged me $35 each.

Maybe I should look into an FFL license. We only have one in town. Maybe he needs some competition?

littlejack
03-25-2020, 01:45 PM
I called him again this morning. He went to the UPS facility and had everything straightened out. The box/container size and weight has a
lot to do with the price. He originally had it packed and packaged in an oversize box for extra padding. So, he repackaged to a smaller box and sent it off. Total charge, 64.xx.
I agree, he should have known all this information before he even started this sale. I definitely learned a lot from this situation. Hopefully, it will help others before they wind up in the same. Thank the you all for your information. It definitely helped.
Handgun should be here Friday.

TNsailorman
03-25-2020, 03:42 PM
Happy to see that it worked out for you. Enjoy, james

littlejack
03-25-2020, 03:49 PM
You bet.��

DocSavage
03-25-2020, 09:06 PM
I've sent handguns to both manufacturers and gunsmiths and have'nt paid more than $85 thru UPS or FedEx have had some arguments about sending a handgun need to be an ffl etc but usually a phone call to higher ups solved the problem.

ddixie884
03-25-2020, 09:08 PM
Cool, good deal.......

Goldstar225
03-25-2020, 09:19 PM
Glad to see a happy outcome. That's a far more reasonable price for an individual to ship UPS. It's about the same amount I've paid in the past.

littlejack
03-25-2020, 10:30 PM
Yes, and that's 2 day air.

littlejack
03-27-2020, 08:27 PM
Lol, I can't win.
The handgun made to the FFL in Corvallis Oregon. I'm stuck in Hollywood Kalifornia helping my B.I.L move to the Oregon coast. I won't be able to pick it up until Monday.
I want to go home, and hold my prize.