PDA

View Full Version : H&i ???????

abunaitoo
03-22-2020, 10:49 PM
I used to use the Lee push through, but changed to the Lyman for faster lubing/sizing.
Even though I powder coat now, I still size with the Lyman.
One thing I've always wondered about the Lyman.
What does H&I stand for?????
I would think is should be S&L, size and lube.
Just rambling with questions today
Nothing else to do.

Bazoo
03-22-2020, 11:00 PM
Each part was given a letter on the schematic of the lubesizer, those happen to be H&I and have never had their designation changed.

Walks
03-22-2020, 11:44 PM
I believe the "H" is the sizing body and the "I" is the ejector pin that pushes the bullet out of the die body and helps set the depth that the bullet goes into the die.
Think the Top Punch is called "G" or "J".

rbuck351
03-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Yeah, Lyman just labeled each part starting with a then b and so on rather than using numbers. Top punch is g, h is the sizer and i is the pin.

Larry Gibson
03-23-2020, 01:23 PM
The H and the I stand for nothing other than on the parts list the parts are listed A through (?) with the sizer body being listed as part "H" and the sizer rod being listed as part "I".

abunaitoo
03-24-2020, 06:05 AM
All this time I was thinking there were some "special" words for it.

Green Frog
03-24-2020, 03:41 PM
All this time I was thinking there were some "special" words for it.

OK, it's "part with the Hole" and the "Injector." Fixed it, so do you feel better about it?
Actually this is an example in industry of having a useful label and keeping it, even though in this case the history of its origin has really lost its significance.

Froggie

abunaitoo
03-24-2020, 11:14 PM
Hole and Injector
Now that makes sense.

alamogunr
03-24-2020, 11:50 PM
This comes up periodically. I asked the same question many years ago. I was directed to an illustrated parts list. I don't remember where it was but it showed the same thing that has been posted above.

gwpercle
03-25-2020, 02:21 PM
Hole and Injector
Now that makes sense.

Tonight I will sleep much better..... :kidding:

Green Frog
03-25-2020, 03:41 PM
I think they’ve been using variations on these same line drawings since the late 1800s.
Here’s one from the 41st Ed of the Lyman Ammunition handbook and one from the 32nd.

Froggie

1hole
04-04-2020, 04:36 PM
When I started, the #45 was the only lube/sizer. No mystery or hidden meanings about it, the H and I designations were how they were displayed and listed in Lyman's sales material.

The early sizer dies had an internal stepped diameter change that shaved bullets to size. Later, they changed to a much better tapered through hole that swaged the bullets to size and that has become the standard.

MT Chambers
04-08-2020, 02:15 PM
Even after I'm dead and buried they will always be referred to as H & I parts.