PDA

View Full Version : Colt Python to help fight Coronavirus!!

Patrick L
03-22-2020, 10:10 PM
Ha! Made you look!

Actually I broke out an old "Python" to fight off the incredible boredom of not being able to go shoot!

https://i.imgur.com/06ZBjyZ.jpg?1

I'm taking all of the advice about not going anywhere unless it's absolutely necessary seriously. That includes going to the range. Boy I really envy the country folks who can literally just go shoot in their own back yard. They frown on that in the suburbs.

Anyhow, I got this for my son when he was a little guy (He's 26 next month.) I built a target trap out of a big cardboard box, and we used to shoot airsofts, his Red Ryder, and this down in the basement. I'll bet it's been 10-12 years since we shot down there.

I figured what the heck, shooting a pellet gun is better than not shooting at all. It doesn't do too bad. I can manage about 30-33 feet in my basement, so I reduced a standard 50 foot target about 78%. Here's what I did.

https://i.imgur.com/YBZPnPC.jpg

That one really low shot and the two just out of the black were with reclaimed pellets. I wanted to see if I could reclaim and shoot them again. Apparently not, or at least not consistently.

This reminds me of MY Crossman 357. I got mine as a teenager back when they first came out in the 80s. Those older ones were closer copies of an actual Python, and were 6 shot. I really loved mine.

Oh well, this will have to do for the forseeable future. Oh, and I also dug out my old rubber X bullets for the .38s These are primer powered, but tougher to make shoot. I'll need to play around with those a bit. As I recall, there were poi differences and other issues. I bet its been 20-25 years since I shot those.

Chihuahua Floyd
03-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Might have to take the air rifle down to the basement this afternoon.
Supposed to rain all day today.
CF

Thumbcocker
03-23-2020, 09:41 AM
Been dryfiring at the Cardinals on the bird feeder.

FergusonTO35
03-24-2020, 11:10 AM
I remember gazing at those Crosman break-top Pythons when I was a kid. My folks wouldn't let me get one because it looked too much like a real gun, which I now understand why they did.

Patrick L
03-25-2020, 02:47 PM
Yeah Ferguson, the one I had back when they came out in the early 80s was a dead ringer for a real Python. Correct number of rib slots, long sight ramp along barrel, Colt style target grips, etc. I LOVED that gun. I even bought the other barrel off the parts list (I think I got the gun as a four inch, bought the six inch barrel???) as you could swap them by removing the pivot screw. I eventually gave it to my godson.

Like I said, this one I picked up for my son maybe 10-15 years ago.

PNW_Steve
03-25-2020, 03:54 PM
I could go to the range and still comply with the social distancing. It is an outdoor with a shelter over the shooting benches. I have never seen more than two other shooters there when I have gone and that was on a Saturday.

I decided to go for it only to find that our recent flooding dumped may tons of mud on the range so its closed. Last time they had a small maintenance issue it took over a year to fix.

So, no range trip for me. I may wander up in the mountains and do some plinking.