PDA

View Full Version : Simple lube and coincidence...

Shome10x
03-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Ok... I indicated an issue in another post with HiTek.

Well another solution was to lube with regular bullet lube. So I pull out the hidden Star liner and lube the bullets. For a moment I couldn’t remember what lube remained in the Star. No problem, the lubes I used in the past were all good. So I lubed them and shot them. All went well...

Funny thing happened... I remembered the homebrew lube mix and don’t think I’ve shared in the past. It works well for low to mid range loads. Easy mix with a 60/40 ratio... or 70/30 mix if you like the consistency. Here is where the coincidence comes in. Recipe is 60 of your favorite beeswax and the 40 is, ready....Corona ointment. Yes that’s right:

gwpercle
03-23-2020, 01:10 PM
If there's a shortage of Corona Ointment in my area ... Do you think Bag Balm would be a suitable substitute ?

Corona Ointment...now that is funny !
Gary

Shome10x
03-23-2020, 01:35 PM
Gary,

I would try BB and see. I originally got the idea after reading older recipes with just beeswax and Vaseline. Figured why not add a petroleum jelly with favorable additives. So I sought out pj bases and came up with the Corona rich in lanolin.

I’ve used it for ~15 years or so. No issues in the window I use it in. Plus it has a distinct medicine smell when fired.

stevenjay1
04-02-2020, 11:53 AM
The Corona Ointment is interesting. Whats the velocity and weight of the bullet you use this for? I have Steven Model 44 in 25-20 SS with a less then perfect bore but it does shoot well with the 87 grain bullet but I do get some leading with other lubes. Thanks, Steve

Shome10x
04-02-2020, 08:21 PM
I’ve used it only for my pistol rounds. Heavy 45 acp, match 45 and 38. Over the years of developing loads it has not failed...meaning no leading, goood-great accuracy. So simple it is worth a try.

Noticed past thread where someone used the Bag Balm mentioned above. I think the Corona is a little softer but both should work.

Martin Luber
04-02-2020, 09:27 PM
How do you produce it? Melt in a double boiler?

Shome10x
04-03-2020, 06:21 PM
Double boiler just until wax melts. Add Corona until melted and mixed. There should be enough residual heat to get the job done.

I usually use those small crock pots sized for potpourri. Stole one from the wife and bought a couple of backups at yard sales.