PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 mold

Doubles Shooter
03-22-2020, 12:21 PM
My search skills suck. I'm thinking about casting reliable cycling plinking boolits for a 1in9 twist barrel AR. I would like to avoid gas checks if possible and plan to powder coat. Retired on a small pension so I'm looking to keep it as low cost as possible. I've been using Lee molds for the .45 with great success, but it looks like the only .22 mold they have is a gas check design. Any suggestions?

geslayton
03-22-2020, 12:31 PM
I ordered some other calibers in Lee molds that are for gas checks that I plan on trying without checks. I'm interested to see what others have to say. I plan on powder coating, but, will be shooting through a suppressor so don't want to risk having a gas check come off!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

35remington
03-22-2020, 06:34 PM
A load that cycles the action lacking a gas check will not shoot very well. Just the facts as I have experienced them. Getting over gas check phobia is needed if one wants this to work.

Tatume
03-22-2020, 06:47 PM
I've never done this with an AR14 (Dog Faced Pony Soldier Model), but I had lead accumulation in the gas system of my M1 Garand.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-22-2020, 09:02 PM
22 cal rifle Molds without GC are kind of rare for a reason, because it's tough to get good accuracy without a GC, especially with an AR.
The Lee 22 is a clone of the RCBS 22-055 and is a good design. you should give it a go without a GC and see how it works. If you happen to have poor accuracy, then pickup some GCs and try again.

lar45
03-22-2020, 09:51 PM
I've never done this with an AR14 (Dog Faced Pony Soldier Model), but I had lead accumulation in the gas system of my M1 Garand.

I saw those Lowers for sale and talked to the wife, she said, go buy a bunch of them and we'll sit on them for awhile... By the time I got back, they were all sold out :( I did pick up a Screw Cancer-15 lower for her though :)

fcvan
03-23-2020, 10:15 PM
I bought the Lyman C225-415 and was not a fan of dealing with the pesky little checks. I later bought the NOE 62 grain plain based designed for powder coating. That boolit took some load tweaking to run in a new AR 15 but shoots just fine in the Ruger Mini 14. Once I hardened up the alloy and water quench after PCing things started running right. I'm getting 1" groups from the Ruger and the AR at 2250 FPS. From a 24" rifle I'm getting 2450 FPS and good groups. The best part is no pesky little gas checks.