PDA

View Full Version : Better press for swaging?

rockrat
03-20-2020, 09:11 PM
Have an RCBS Big Max press setup for swaging, but picked up an RCBS Ammomaster today and wondering if it would be a better press to use.
Thoughts?

rancher1913
03-20-2020, 09:45 PM
hard to beat a big max for heavy work

Darth-Vang
03-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Or you can just get a bullet swaging press for that purpose. It is specifically design for the sole purpose of swaging after all.

rancher1913
03-29-2020, 01:55 PM
have both and much prefer the big max.

Faret
03-29-2020, 06:21 PM
If I had to use a reloading press rather than a swaging press id take the big max.

M.A.D
04-06-2020, 07:55 PM
Ammomaster is great for reloading BMG, Cheytac etc..... But a swage press it is not.... Id go the big max any day over it... Or ask Richard Corbin to make a few more Walnut Hill presses.... Last time i spoke to him, he said he might make a few to put on ebay

Zbench
04-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Every One of Dave Corbin's presses can be used for reloading and swaging. I have all 3, the S Press, the H press and the Hydro. The manual presses have a three position toggle at the end of the ram which allows for varying stroke lengths. The shortest stroke is for swaging, the longest for reloading. Additionally, the hydro press has an adapter which allows for use with standard shell holders. I use the hydro all the time to resize and reform heavy brass.

So, if you want a world class swaging press made by a company that is still in business and makes dies for the same, give swage.com a look.

Ammomaster is great for reloading BMG, Cheytac etc..... But a swage press it is not.... Id go the big max any day over it... Or ask Richard Corbin to make a few more Walnut Hill presses.... Last time i spoke to him, he said he might make a few to put on ebay

midnight
04-07-2020, 12:25 PM
IMHO as Dean Grennel used to say, the Walnut Hill is the most versatal press out there. I use three for swaging but I find myself always finding new ways to use it. I made a whole set of adapters from short 7/8-14 grade 8 bolts. I square the bottom of the bolt head and relieve the threads under the head so it will sit flat on the top of the ram. Mill off some of the top of the bolt head, then drill and tap for every thread you might conceivably need. Drill and tap them all the way through. I was able the use an old B&A core swage by screwing a stop in the bottom to hold the unthreaded punch. I didn't have to modify this beautiful old die in any way and it now produces perfect tapered cores with one slightly rounded end. Nobody makes dies like these anymore & I didn't have to make a new ram for the Rockchucker like you used to have to do. The Walnut Hill ram can be made to do a great many jobs. I could go on forever on this but I better stop. This post is getting too long and I still can't spell versatal?

Bob:-?

wonderwolf
04-08-2020, 10:21 PM
Walnut hill all the way!