PDA

View Full Version : Pumps are fun!

Texas by God
03-18-2020, 10:35 PM
A friend was the high bidder for this Winchester model 270 .22 S,L,LR pump. It was a bit crusty so he brought it to me for cleaning up. I had only seen this variation in catalogs previously- although I'd shot a semiauto version and my brother has a lever action version. They all used the same receivers and buttstocks it seems. It cleaned up pretty well and I hit this dog food can ten for ten with Remington Golden .22 shorts.
I told him to take his time coming to get it....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200319/720442cb6e3d24ea487cf31d56c681e4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

rking22
03-18-2020, 11:13 PM
Cleaned up right nice! I readily admit to a serious affinity to pumpguns, of all types. You might get a chance to swap him out of that little Winchester, worth a try anyway.

Bad Ass Wallace
03-18-2020, 11:25 PM
I have a little Winchester 06 that is magic, then I bought a Pedersoli Lighting in 44/40. What a delight to use!

marlin39a
03-19-2020, 07:18 AM
I picked up a Marlin model 38 years ago. 22 s,l, lr, octagon barrel. A slick shooting little gem.

Rich/WIS
03-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Had a Model 250 lever action, was my first .22. Shot the daylights out of it for years before the locking recess in the top of the alloy receiver wore out. Sent it back to Winchester and they replaced the receiver for free. Shot it some more and noticed that the locking recess was starting to wear out again so it went down the road. The fixed breech models used a steel locking bolt that was harder than the receiver and unless kept lubed wore out the receiver. Not sure if Winchester ever solved that problem but if I had it now would make sure it was lubed and the leading edge of the locking plate was polished slightly to remove the sharp edge.

Drm50
03-20-2020, 11:41 AM
The soft cast receivers were the bug a boo of the Win 22s of post 64 era. in auto,pump and lever.

redhawk0
03-20-2020, 12:02 PM
That's a really nice looking Winchester.

I have a 1971 rem 572 that I absolutely love. I bought it in 1977 used when I was 14. It's quite is accurate out to 75 yards...I pick off chipmunks at that distance with mine. They certainly are a lot of fun.

I nicknamed mine the squirrel killer about 40 years ago.

redhawk

GBertolet
03-20-2020, 12:05 PM
I have one of those. My father bought it for me in 1964, the year of Winchester's great debacle. It is a cheaply made rifle, built to a price, not a standard. It's not even close to it's predecessor, the 61 Winchester in quality. The action on mine is anything but smooth, with lots of friction. Still, despite this, it is a nice, good looking little carbine, great for plinking. I have a friend, who is a local scoutmaster, who borrows this rifle periodically, for the scout's merit badges in marksmanship. The scouts love it.

Texas by God
03-20-2020, 03:28 PM
It reminds me of the model 1200 Winchester pump shotgun. Nice looking, but nowhere near the gun a Remington 870 or Ithaca 37 is. This one is in clean shape inside so it should be alright for the 64 year old kid that owns it now. The previously mentioned Winchester 61 and Remington 12 were twice the gun and twice as expensive. I've seen a worn out Remington 572 also. The steel on alloy lockup was the culprit there too.

Bigslug
03-25-2020, 01:07 PM
Browning's Winchester 1890/1906/62A is at the top of my list for "Last Firearms Likely to be Working after the Fall of Civilization". It's a TANK!

Fun? You bet!

I bought my 1906 when I was very deep into Highpower Rifle competition. I was shooting a match with a .308 every other weekend, and was using a match .22 rifle with match ammo to practice the course of fire on alternate weekends. I realized that I was taking it WAAAAY too seriously and had forgotten how to simply screw around with a .22.

The inline-feeding, S/L/LR capability of Browning's pump lets me take any random rimfire ammo and dump it in - which I have deliberately done to get me out of the extreme of individually-weighed, rim-thickness-measured match ammo. If the dog food can falls over, we're golden!:mrgreen:

alfadan
04-18-2020, 11:54 PM
Dad had one. I didnt really care for the feel of the action, kind of springy, non-affirmative feel. I have an old 1930's stevens pump and just the other day was sitting in a chair popping at an 8inch swinger at 75 yards. The old thing is quite impressive in accuracy and the nice little "cling" was quite a hoot.

Traffer
04-19-2020, 12:02 AM
Once you start shooting pump rifles you're hooked. Nothing else will satisfy that need. I grew up with an '06 Winchester...it got stolen. I don't think I have been the same since.

georgerkahn
04-19-2020, 07:48 AM
I was having a cup of coffee in a local Micky-Dee's when a gentleman walked in and asked if anyone present may wish to "buy a rifle". As the fellow appeared relatively harmless, I "bit", and -- in the trunk of his auto -- was a Model 12C Remington pump .22. I bought it! Doing a bit of research, including faint stock-markings, it turns out this pump .22 was owned by and used in a Shooting Gallery in New York City! (It bears no factory serial number) Apparently, way back when, there were 'Galleries as frequent as barber shops and saloons on the Avenues, where folks could lay down a few coins to shoot one of these -- mostly, from what I have been told, .22 Short ammo... What pre-dated video game shops?
Anyhoos -- both sons put many boxes of ammo through it, as have I -- and I cannot recall a single malfunction or failure to fire! Your are MOST correct: Pumps are indeed fun!
geo

frkelly74
04-19-2020, 08:18 AM
Pumps are fun! My first BB gun was a pump and my dad could pump it and shoot it from the shoulder at an amazing rate. I had to put the butt on my hip and muscle it into submission to get it cocked and ready for the next shot. Hey, I was a 65 pound weakling but it was still fun and better than not shooting.

gewehrfreund
04-19-2020, 08:42 AM
To me, the ultimate pump 22 is and will always be the Rem. 121.
That said, I haven't had one, or any pump, in a long time until a couple of weeks ago when I won a store brand Sav. 29 at a local auction.:smile:
If the weather ever gets better, I may even get some opportunities to shoot it other than just a test fire.

Elroy
04-19-2020, 09:00 AM
About 10 years ago me,and the woman went up to Marietta,and stopped at one of them permanent flea markets at an old Rink's store,and I got interested in a little 10-22 a guy had.I can't remember what he had on it,but it was probably too much.He also had other guns.I ended up with the 10-22,and a little ugly pump for one deal..The wife was with me so I gave her the pump. It had either a plastic woodgrain fore end,and a wooden butt,or vice versa ,anyways I gave it to her probably so she wouldn't give me the old "You don't need another gun " speech..I had never heard of the Model 270,so I looked it up,and was surprised to find out that the thing was starting to get kinda desirable,and was also surprised that it came out of the factory with the plastic,and wooden stock. She kept it for a few years,and never shot it,and one day I had a guy over that I trade guns with sometimes,and he ended up with it.If I'm not mistaken she asked him $200,and got $190 from it..I can't remember for sure,but I don't think I would have given the guy at the flea market over $250 for both.

Traffer
04-19-2020, 09:02 AM
I was having a cup of coffee in a local Micky-Dee's when a gentleman walked in and asked if anyone present may wish to "buy a rifle". As the fellow appeared relatively harmless, I "bit", and -- in the trunk of his auto -- was a Model 12C Remington pump .22. I bought it! Doing a bit of research, including faint stock-markings, it turns out this pump .22 was owned by and used in a Shooting Gallery in New York City! (It bears no factory serial number) Apparently, way back when, there were 'Galleries as frequent as barber shops and saloons on the Avenues, where folks could lay down a few coins to shoot one of these -- mostly, from what I have been told, .22 Short ammo... What pre-dated video game shops?
Anyhoos -- both sons put many boxes of ammo through it, as have I -- and I cannot recall a single malfunction or failure to fire! Your are MOST correct: Pumps are indeed fun!
geo

Yup, I was at shooting galleries where they had pumps of various types shooting shorts. My '06 was "shorts only" indicating that it too was a gallery gun. Although it probably had many many thousands of rounds through it, it still shot well...that is until my stupid brother stuck the barrel in a mud puddle and pulled the trigger "to see what would happen" It put a hairline crack in the crown. It never shot well again.

Texas by God
04-19-2020, 11:55 AM
My dream pump .22 is a Remington 12C octagon barrel, crescent buttplate, ivory bead and period receiver sight. I could have had one a few times at the money a nice deer rifle cost - but I balked in my youthful ignorance. I’ve had two 1906 Winchesters and they are Tanks- like 1897 Winchester shotguns!

Drm50
04-19-2020, 12:32 PM
I only have 2 pump 22s now. A 62 and 61 Wins, both in 95% condition. I actually like the 62 better but the 61 is deadly off hand. I think it’s all in the trigger. Also have 2 centerfire pumps, 14 & 141 Rems, both 35cal. I had a dozen more pumps mostly 22s that I’ve sold thinning down the collection. I’m letting go the safe queens to keep shooters. These old pumps can’t be compared with newer junk. My favorite deer rifle is over 100yrs old.
There will be very few people saying that 100yrs from now with today’s excuses for firearms.

panhed65
04-19-2020, 06:45 PM
those old 14 and 141's are nice and well made guns. I shoot a 141 in 35 rem. and it never lets me down. bought is cheap years ago cause it needed a crown, someone must have let it sent on a wet carpet in a truck or something. will never get rid of it.
Barry

Baltimoreed
04-19-2020, 06:57 PM
My first pump was a Daisy bb gun, model 75 I think. As a grownup I bought a Remington 572 Deluxe Fieldmaster then I found a Rossi 62 rifle [no fugly safety]in a nickel finish and a nice blond tiger-striped stock. I wore the Daisy out but I’ve still got the others.
Shotgun wise I’ve got a mismatched ‘97, a Norinco trench 97, Model 17-19-24 Marlins and my Winchester Model 12 trench that I built. Had an 870 slug gun for a while. Almost forgot my newest, a Riverside /Stevens 520-30. Pumps are fun.

Texas by God
04-19-2020, 09:39 PM
A few years ago I worked on my BIL’s Stevens Visible Loader .22 pump. If I wasn’t already bald, I’d have pulled out my hair trying to get that thing timed. I discovered first hand why the old timers called them “Miserable Loaders”. I won’t touch one again:-/

Jedman
05-16-2020, 07:31 PM
There is a gun store about a hour north of me in MI that has 3 , 22 pumps for sale. They have a Rem 12 A, and a Rem 12 C w/ tang sight, and a savage M 1903 with a magazine.
I have been resisting going up there as I will probably come home with one of them and I am trying not to buy any more guns unless it’s a holy grail single shot I don’t have.
I am a little familiar with the Rem. M 12’s but never seen a Savage M 1903 except pics online.
That Savage is kinda homely looking but getting more interesting the more I think of it. I tried to find something wrong with them online but from the little I can find they are a solid gun.
I don’t know what a visible loader is ? Hope it’s not the same model.

Jedman

Texas by God
05-16-2020, 10:25 PM
The Visible Loader has an exposed breech block and hammer that makes it resemble (to me) a pump action Little Favorite. The cartridge is visible as it slides up into the block before being pushed into the chamber. I'm not sure of the model number. Lockup comes from underneath via a pivoting arm that abuts the front edge of the receiver.

Jedman
05-16-2020, 10:57 PM
Thanks Thomas , I searched the visible loader and found it was made in several model no.s 70 , 71 ..... and was a unusual design. The model 1903 Savage is much different and if I get a chance to buy it I probably will and will look at that Rem 12 C, if it is the NRA model I will get it also but this gun shop is pretty savvy at what they are selling and this is a consignment gun and they don’t have it listed as the N.R.A. model. I got my stimulus check and don’t think I should get it but if they are going to twist my arm ... I will stimulate the economy buying a few guns . :bigsmyl2:
Jedman

Baltimoreed
05-16-2020, 11:18 PM
I used my stimulus on a Winchester pre A 52. It’s becoming my favorite .22. But it’s not a pump.

beagle
05-25-2020, 09:59 PM
Dad had a (then new) M61 in .22 Mag when they first came out. Nice little rifle. I had a M62A Winnie and both left me. Last year I located another M62A and it won't leave. Love shooting the lightweight pumps. Great bullfrog harvesters. Now if I could locate about 5 bricks of .22 Shorts at reasonable process I'd be happier. One of those little rifles coming home made me a happy man as it./beagle

I only have 2 pump 22s now. A 62 and 61 Wins, both in 95% condition. I actually like the 62 better but the 61 is deadly off hand. I think it’s all in the trigger. Also have 2 centerfire pumps, 14 & 141 Rems, both 35cal. I had a dozen more pumps mostly 22s that I’ve sold thinning down the collection. I’m letting go the safe queens to keep shooters. These old pumps can’t be compared with newer junk. My favorite deer rifle is over 100yrs old.
There will be very few people saying that 100yrs from now with today’s excuses for firearms.

Drm50
05-25-2020, 10:39 PM
That 22mag probably leaves nothing but lips on bull frogs. I know a guy who used a Monroe County Gig on frogs. It used 22 shorts.

Patrick L
07-08-2020, 09:50 PM
I wanted a Remington 572 in the worst way, which is not surprising since I have 4 870s and an old 760. Seemed like I just needed one.

Turned out to be a disappointment. Was not particularly accurate, horrible trigger, and suffered from a lot of parts breakage. But, given my past experience with Remington, I really think this particular gun was just a lemon. Ended up selling it.

Who knows, maybe I'll get another one some day.

Gtek
07-09-2020, 12:05 AM
Still waiting on someone or someway to get a 22" micro-grooved threaded front end pump with either a rotary or stick mag model.

Texas by God
07-09-2020, 12:20 AM
A Henry pump .22 was at Academy the other day, it and Chipmunks were the only .22 rifles they had.

rking22
07-09-2020, 12:57 AM
Patrick L , what you want is a Remington 121! Wonderful rifles, accurate and reliable.

cp1969
07-09-2020, 01:14 AM
I had a Winchester 270 pump but it had the black plastic forearm and a dial-adjustable rear sight. Wish I'd kept it. Also have a Winchester 1906 Expert pump and a Model 61. For me, the M61 is the most naturally pointing .22 I've ever owned.

pietro
07-09-2020, 12:34 PM

At one time or another over the past 50 years, I've owned/shot/hunted with several different slide/pump action .22 rifles.

None have had a scope, a few had tang sights, and the remainder open/iron barrel sights.

They were:

Savage 1914
Stevens 70 (Miserable Loader)
Stevens 75 (Savage29)
Remington 12B Gallery Special (.22 Short)
Remington 121A
Browning BPR (LR)
Marlin 38

I've never owned/shot any Henry, Noble, or Winchester slide/pump .22 rifles, other than listed above.

My favorite was the Marlin 38 - YMMV.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-09-2020, 12:49 PM
I can only bring one memory of a pump .22 L.R. to mind, that of a Win. Mod. 62 that was in almost new condition and which belonged to the father of a kid I did some small game hunting with back in the 1950s. The kid, a bit of a Neanderthal throwback, decided to show me how to shoot fish one day when the squirrels were scarce. There was a beautiful, clear creek that ran through the forest with several deep pools, and one could see the rainbow trout. He stuck the rifle's barrel into the water about a foot deep and pulled the trigger at what seemed to be the appropriate moment. There was a visible streak in the water for about 18 inches, but no fish was harmed. After several such demonstrations we moved on to other endeavors. Even though I was a kid myself, I had thought that the barrel would burst and was surprised when it didn't. I declined his offer to give it a try, and certainly wasn't going to subject my Stevens single shot to participation in this sport. He did allow that he'd only ever been successful in shooting one fish after many tries on other occasions. Winchester made a fine rifle!

farmbif
07-09-2020, 12:55 PM
I don't think there are very many visible loaders that function properly anymore. they are few and far between. I had one that looked great but would only fire the first shot pumped through it after that first shot it failed to fire due to a chip on bottom edge of barrel where the firing pin strikes and only the first round through it would eject properly. when I got serious about getting it straightened out found there was man making some parts for them, mostly screws, but not the parts I needed. And was warned by several well trained and seasoned gunsmiths not to attempt taking it apart unless I was sure of what I was doing. turned out they are worth a bunch of money and a I found gun shop owner that wanted it a whole lot more than I did and gave me just about about $700 credit towards anything he had in stock, not bad for a $75 investment.
As far as the Remington 12's and 121's, fine guns when they work properly, currently have a 121 that probably needs carrier dog and action bar springs, its not so easy to find parts for these. My friend who owns a pawn shop felt bad for me with my luck with pump action 22's and sold me a nice early model 572 for $200.
I guess I'm hooked on slide action 22's since learning to shoot on my pops Winchester model 62

Jedman
07-09-2020, 06:16 PM
I picked up this Win. M 1906 the other day. It has been relined so the bore looks like new and when I took it apart the action parts show very little wear. It’s been near 100 degrees here for the last 7-8 days so I haven’t shot it yet.
When my wife seen it she said she wants to shoot it and thinks it should be hers. I’m OK with that as she has better eyes than me and probably will fit her better. We have a war going on with raccoons right now, she woke me up early this morning as there was a family of 5 eating our sunflower seed and I got 4 of the 5 with my Marlin 57 M in 22 mag. Now I will see if she can shoot a few.

Jedman

FergusonTO35
07-10-2020, 01:00 PM
I really want Henry to come out with a carbine version of their pump .22. Last time I looked, they only offered it with the 20" octagonal barrel, which I already have in a lever action.

Jedman
07-21-2020, 10:47 AM

I am going to blame this on Texas by God. I didn’t even own a 22 pump until reading this post and now own 2.
I found this one at a local shop yesterday and like it a lot, it is more of a full size mans gun 24” barrel and a larger forend than most. It is made by Savage but has the brand name Keystone on it and although worn looking it has a nice clean bore and the wood has no damage and the action is slick.
I did shoot a woodchuck with the Win. 1906 last weekend , two quick shots to the head and he was done.
These pump 22’s are fun !
Sorry for the poor pic of the rifle, after posting and looking at it you can’t even tell it is a pump action, to much glare.

Jedman

Jedman
07-21-2020, 11:04 AM
A little better pic taken outdoors.

Jedman265080

Texas by God
07-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Nice! And You're Welcome. My first Win06 was from a elderly widow neighbor. It had THREE rings in the barrel and the only time I hit anything with it I closed my eyes first. Later I had one with a Numrich barrel( canted a bit)- that shot great. They are both gone now like many others.

koger
07-25-2020, 08:04 PM
I had long longed for a Rem 12-121 pump 22, but could never fine one for less than $600 and up. It took me 5 years, but one day I was in a little shop in Lexington, and he had a sweet 121, with all original blue and wood, with metal checkered butt plate. He also had a new in the box TC .32 Cherokee. He had $325 on each one. I offered him$600 for both out the door and he bit. I stopped on the way home, and traded the TC to a unfired Browning ML, .45, which I sold a week later for $700. I still have the .22, this has been about a year ago. The .22 was dead on, and I killed a few squirrels and stray cats, and one groundhog.

curiousgeorge
08-23-2020, 09:41 PM
I have a Remington 572, one of the older guns with the longer barrel. Wears a 4 power scope and shoots like a dream. Keep it sighted in with CCI short CB's. When I used to shoot long rifle cartridges it made 5 shot 'bug holes' at 35 yards. No mercy for the squirrels.

I sold my 12C octagon barrel about 2 years ago. Eyes couldn't see the fine sights any more. When I first got it about 25 yrs ago I was amazed at the accuracy. Went for yrs and didn't seem like I ever missed with it. It was time for someone else to enjoy it as much as I had.

LarryM
09-01-2020, 09:19 AM
I took dad's 572 down to the range yesterday. The date code on the barrel comes up 2/60. He bought it new in the Spring of 1960.
He put the cheap Optex scope on it sometime in the late '80s as he could no longer see the sights good enough to use. The scope is a ***, it will not hold zero.
Anyway, I managed to still have an enjoyable afternoon with it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50292296896_0f80212818_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jCaaHb)

Drm50
09-01-2020, 01:36 PM
I had a 572 that was some kind of special edition. I think it was a model used by a female trick shooter that Rem had working for them. I put a Weaver K4 on it and had it zeroed with shorts for squirrels and frogs. I have parts from Sav with clip magazine left from making 1 out of two. Also have a few Stevens VL parts too.

roysha
09-01-2020, 05:50 PM
I hope to heaven you folks are happy. I had no intention of buying another .22 for a while until I started following this cotton pickin thread. It started with just a quick peek, then regularly checking it, then, naturally, looking for one of the pumps I lusted for as a child in the 50s. So, once again, my meager "gun fund" is utterly depleted because you folks MADE ME BUY A REMINGTON MODEL 121.

Should be picking it up Friday or Saturday.

I have to learn to stay off the rimfire forum. All it does is cost me money.;-)

Jedman
09-01-2020, 09:10 PM
roysha, They make new money everyday, they quit making Rem 121’s long ago.
You made a good choice !

Jedman

rking22
09-01-2020, 09:18 PM
An exec elect choice, like Jedman said, they don’t make them anymore! They would cost a couple thousand if they did, so you got a steal on a fine rifle! Pictures are nice, hint hint.

Plate plinker
09-06-2020, 09:17 PM
HA! I too love the model 61 and have a model 12 remington.
The model 61 is perfection when shouldered. I can hit dang near anything with it.

Good luck with rem model 12 barrels seems most all are horribly pitted.

mf79
09-07-2020, 11:57 AM
I have a win 1890 in 22 short but have not shot it yet.