PDA

View Full Version : LLA melt?

XWrench3
03-18-2020, 02:34 PM
so, its been a while since i did anything with cast boolits. and a few things have changed. i have a bunch of 44 mag boolits that i am not going to use anymore. but they have been lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, that i mixed with moly powder. i would like to melt these down, and re cast them into 45-70 govt boolits. but at the same time, i don't want to make a huge mess of my pot. i think the LLA will burn off??? but the moly powder??? anyone ever tried anything like this?

Winger Ed.
03-18-2020, 02:48 PM
Tossing old, lubed boolits into the pot for fluxing is a common practice.

Sure, they'll smoke, but its no big deal.
I never used moly, but I'd expect it to either burn off or float.

Dusty Bannister
03-18-2020, 03:15 PM
A small amount of those bullets added from time to time would be no real issue. Fill the pot and let it melt, might be a problem best resolved with a melting pot for scrap lead. With the combination you mentioned, I would use the scrap lead pot and not worry about it.

parson48
03-18-2020, 03:26 PM
I melted a bunch of 'em one time a few years back. Get pretty messy. Stirring in sawdust helped as I recall.

Dapaki
03-18-2020, 03:42 PM
It's awful! The lube sticks to the walls of the pot under the lead. I'm processing #85 more pounds of it this weekend and I'll take pictures.

ShooterAZ
03-18-2020, 04:13 PM
I have thrown in a few at a time and had no problems. If I had a whole bunch of them though, I would do it in the smelting pot with some sawdust. I would not put them in my Pro Melt.

Pb Burner
03-18-2020, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't put them in my casting pot, but wouldn't hesitate to melt them down in my "smelting" pot, with plenty of sawdust and some wax.

megasupermagnum
03-18-2020, 09:05 PM
No problems here. I've never tried filling up an empty pot with them, but 50-100 bullets on top of an already filled pot is no problem. It is no different than wax lube. The one and only thing I ever put in a casting put that I didn't like was bullets with the hollow base filled with hot glue. Hot glue when burning at 700+ degrees smells like a tire fire.

XWrench3
03-19-2020, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. i will round them up, and throw them into the smelting pot. i'm going to also find a couple of pieces of scrap wood, to turn into sawdust. glad i have a table saw. it makes that job a lot easier and safer.

robg
03-20-2020, 09:51 AM
never had a problem with lla lubed boolits going back into the pot .

djryan13
03-20-2020, 12:01 PM
I used LLA as a flux for a while when it came with the sizers. Didn’t have anything else to do with it.