PDA

View Full Version : G.C's without sizing?

unclebill
11-20-2008, 12:04 AM
hello
how do i install gas checks without sizing the entire boolit?
i am using a LEE sizer.
thank you
bill

hiram
11-20-2008, 12:13 AM
I use a pair of channel lock pliers. Take 2 pieces of leather and make jaw covers with them. Oversize piece of leather, fold in half and staple. Then slip them on the jaws.

unclebill
11-20-2008, 12:27 AM
I use a pair of channel lock pliers. Take 2 pieces of leather and make jaw covers with them. Oversize piece of leather, fold in half and staple. Then slip them on the jaws.

and do what with that?
just smash the g.c. on from the sides?

hiram
11-20-2008, 12:34 AM
open the pliers enough to fit the bullet. Place a gc on as best as possible on one leather covered jaw and the nose of the bullet is agaist the other jaw, squeze slowly. If you need a picture, let me know.

unclebill
11-20-2008, 01:06 AM
many of them are quite loose
as in i can just set the boolit into it and when i pick it up .
the gas check is still on the bench.

unclebill
11-20-2008, 01:09 AM
44man
QUOTE ;just run the base of the boolits into the die only far enough to crimp the checks, don't size the whole boolit.
;UNQUOTE

how do i do that?

Ricochet
11-20-2008, 11:43 AM
It's doable with a Lee Factory Crimp Die made for a cartridge with a case neck diameter close to the boolit diameter. Hold the base of the boolit in the top of the die as you operate the die as if crimping a case. Adjust the die to proper finished diameter of the check.

44man
11-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know what's going on. I posted a lot of stuff and it is not here!!!!!

44man
11-20-2008, 01:48 PM
It looks like a whole page is missing.

jack19512
11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
hello
how do i install gas checks without sizing the entire boolit?
i am using a LEE sizer.
thank you
bill

I install the gas checks by running the base with gas check installed into my sizer first instead of the nose first. I only run the boolit into the sizer just enough to install the gas check which isn't much. Then I use a short piece of dowel and small hammer to knock the boolit back out of the sizer and into my hand. It only takes a light tap to knock the boolit back out. This has worked very well for me.