PDA

View Full Version : Two day wait for background check

rockrat
03-17-2020, 05:25 PM
Was by the LGS and they were telling me that it is now a two day wait for a background check. Probably most of the people are not at work because the Governor has restricted groups to no more than 10, so some have had to stay home

sparky45
03-17-2020, 05:29 PM
Talk is that gun sales have gone through the roof. Non - gun owners getting with the program.

Winger Ed.
03-17-2020, 05:30 PM
Never heard of that before.

Its got to be due to the folks in the ATF office not being there.

jdfoxinc
03-17-2020, 06:40 PM
FBI Does the background checks.

kerplode
03-17-2020, 09:32 PM
There's a major, 2008-level, run on guns and ammo at the moment.

The checks are slow because sales volumes have skyrocketed and there are fewer people working to complete them than normal.

rockrat
03-17-2020, 09:47 PM
In Colorado, CBI does the background checks and you pay a fee

kerplode
03-17-2020, 09:52 PM
CBI processed over 14000 checks over the last week...Double the volume for this time last year.

tomme boy
03-17-2020, 11:25 PM
We don't have to do them here if you have a carry permit. Most states have a deal with the ATF that if you have a carry permit, that is all you need. This was actually mandated but some states are not following it.

Dieselhorses
03-17-2020, 11:53 PM
Permit or not you still get checked-even after the fact. Carry permits only mean you were eligible at the time you got it as far as the ATF goes.

samari46
03-18-2020, 12:58 AM
Louisiana, if you have a carry permit less than 5 years old they enter that info on the 4473 and they don't have to call it in. Found that out when I bought my M&P 2.0 9mm this year. American Rifleman latest edition said January was the highest record ever. When I called S&W today after ordering a pistol case I asked if they were experiencing high sales the lady said things were kinda crazy. And a lot of on-line ammo sellers were reporting delays in shipping due high sales. Normally you see this in an election year but with the corona virus in the U.S. and increasing numbers of confirmed cases (over 6500 at last count that they know about) people have or are buying firearms and ammo which adds to the increased sales. In any event, stay safe and healthy. Frank

MrWolf
03-18-2020, 08:40 AM
We don't have to do them here if you have a carry permit. Most states have a deal with the ATF that if you have a carry permit, that is all you need. This was actually mandated but some states are not following it.

Same here. Just give them my driver's license and my ccw card.

Handloader109
03-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Government has slowed down a bit. But it is mainly the panic buying again.

reloader28
03-18-2020, 02:31 PM
No check here. Just hand them my carry permit, sign the paper and walk out the door with my gun

abunaitoo
03-18-2020, 03:30 PM
At Our Gunshow this past weekend, almost everyone came just to buy ammo.
One shop ran out of .223.
I'm guessing people are stocking up "just in case"
Smart thing to do.

tomme boy
03-18-2020, 04:23 PM
Permit or not you still get checked-even after the fact. Carry permits only mean you were eligible at the time you got it as far as the ATF goes.

Not in the 38 states that are following the agreement or mandate. You hand them your DL and permit and walk out of the store with what you bought.

tomme boy
03-18-2020, 04:26 PM
We also have what is called a pistol buyers permit if you do not have a carry permit. You hand them that and your DL and you walk out with it. No other checks unless the store is antigun and calls it in anyway. Dicks and Dunham's and Walmart were like this.

dale2242
03-19-2020, 09:09 AM
Oregon state Police and FBI do the background checks in Oregon.
If you are clean it only takes a few minutes.
The cost is $10...dale

Minerat
03-19-2020, 10:54 PM
Last night was told that CBI was not accepting checks until further notice. They had a back log of 7500 and not enough staff. The guy told a young couple buying their first gun that it would probably be 5 days to complete the sale. They were looking at a 9 mm and there was no ammo on the shelf.

FLINTNFIRE
03-20-2020, 12:46 AM
Oregon can still delay you to even if you are clean , I had a 3 month delay , instant check my rear , it is instant once in awhile have a name same as someone and even though your social is different its a delay . Mandatory waiting period for someone who already owns what a joke

tomme boy
03-20-2020, 02:09 AM
Supposed to be 48 hrs then if they don't hear back from nic's they have to give it to you.

perotter
03-21-2020, 06:19 AM
Heard thru the grapevine that people from states with strict gun control and have no gun are borrowing guns from relatives that live in other states.

FLINTNFIRE
03-21-2020, 06:52 AM
Well oregon state police do the check and what I read online a few years ago when they say delay they mean till they say ok , washington liberals passed the law that says a semi auto rifle is a assault weapon extra 18 dollar for check and at least a 10 working day wait , pistols are done through local law so paper work makes it a couple days at least , federal law and then state law on something that is an enumerated right .

Big Tom
03-21-2020, 06:39 PM
Yep, same in Ohio. You fill out the paperwork, but they don't have to call it in.

No check here. Just hand them my carry permit, sign the paper and walk out the door with my gun

Duckiller
03-24-2020, 10:48 PM
California has a 10 day wait. Working days. #2 son who works part time for Cabelas in Oregon says they have a 2000 request back log on their background requests. He work last black Friday after Thanksgiving and then they had a 500 request backlog.

tomme boy
03-25-2020, 01:45 AM
Just looking up some info about this. If the feds are doing the check, they have 3 business days to approve or deny. If there is not word then the FFL MUST proceed with the transfer. If the state is doing it they have to do the 3 business day turnover as they are now the POC to issue. If there is a problem then the FBI has to go recover the guns. That is how it works.

I think I seen our Governor here in Iowa said that all NICS checks WILL be done on time and with no delay. We are more free than a lot of states. The only thing helping us is that most Farmers are republican. This state caters to the farmers.

Duckiller
03-27-2020, 04:52 PM
I would question your "MUST" proceed. I believe most dealers "MAY" proceed. They might not wish to offend the agency doing the background check. An FFL has to deal with agency doing background checks long term on a daily basis and is not going to piss them off for no reason. FFLs have the right to refuse to sell to anyone if they think there is something funny going on.

Tripplebeards
03-28-2020, 09:52 AM
That’s the way it was always was for pistols in WI till a few years back.

PNW_Steve
03-28-2020, 01:54 PM
Here in Washington I used to be able to pick up guns the same day with my CPL. Instant check usually took :15-:30 minutes.

With the new law I had to take a "class" and get a certificate then wait ten days while local LEO does an "enhanced" background check.

It is ridiculous requirement. The "class" and test are lame and a waste of time. Take a look at them.

Also, if I already have a CPL then I probably own guns already. What does the 10 day waiting period do? Am I going to decide not to shoot someone because I don't have the "right" gun in my collection?

Washington state is going downhill fast. With Constitutional carry, state premonition and Castle doctrine it used to be very protective of 2A rights. Unfortunately that is changing quickly.

A two day wait is not stop any criminals from getting guns.