PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Weights for Cowboy Action 45 Colt

B R Shooter
03-17-2020, 01:34 PM
Can I use WW for cast in the 45 Colt? I'm going to cheat just a bit and powder coat them, but just wondered if WW is too hard.

Budzilla 19
03-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Shouldn’t be a problem !!! If worried, cut them 2/3 ww to 1/3 pure and be happy!! 50/50!ww/pure will stretch your ww even further and PC will help!! Just my opinion, good luck whatever you decide

fredj338
03-17-2020, 02:35 PM
Waaay back when I was shooting CAS I used lino because I got it cheap. For the pressures/vel in CAS, you could shoot straight lead. So I would cut it by half if you have pure lead. If not, then just make sure the size is correct.

USSR
03-17-2020, 02:41 PM
...I would cut it by half if you have pure lead.

+1.

Don

gwpercle
03-17-2020, 03:32 PM
For decades I used air cooled COWW , worked just fine .
Then my free unlimited WW source retired from the tire business....
To stretch my supply mixed 50-50 with lead ...actually this works even better especially in handgun and 30-30 Winchester boolits .
Gary

Walks
03-17-2020, 04:00 PM
Unless you intend to shoot the gamer loads, COWW will work just fine. Most of what I shot in My Cowboy Shooting Days were COWW with a bit of #2 thrown in. But then I've always preferred a harder bullet then most.

FYI, if the steel targets are made correctly, then the bullets will shatter and hit the ground and make a line in the dirt at the base of the target. Softer bullets Will Not shatter, but will bounce off the ground and go just about anywhere.
At the extremely close ranges SASS allows targets to be placed these days it's better to have a bullet break up and hit the ground in front of the target, then to have it bounce off the ground whole.

Springfield
03-17-2020, 04:46 PM
Personally I have found the harder bullets hit people much more than the softer ones, especially if a gamer is using them and they are tooo slow to shatter. No one has ever complained about getting hit with fragments of my 50/50 bullets pushed with Blackpowder, nor my son's bullets used with smokeless, with the same alloy. I have been hit many,many times by guys who run fast and hard.
I went to a Cowboy night shoot a few times, with backlighting, and you could see where the fragments went, it was an eye opener. In any case, 50/50 works great for cowboy shooting, maybe even softer if you have an abundance of soft. Pure soft would work fine but it can be more difficult to cast well. IMHO, only been shooting SASS shoots for 21 years, the last 10 with my wife and 2 kids.

GoodOlBoy
03-17-2020, 06:08 PM
To stretch my supply mixed 50-50 with lead ...actually this works even better especially in handgun and 30-30 Winchester boolits .
Gary

Agreed. I tend towards a wee bit softer for both 45 LC and 30-30. I was gifted PC'd bullets a few years ago by some nice folks on here. They shot ok in my 45s, but I'd rather just shoot lead if I could. COWW cut with a little recycled roof flashing I was very partial to. Downside is I'm not allowed to fiddle with it (IE casting) since the cancer surgery years ago. One of the many reasons I haven't loaded in a long time.

God Bless, and good luck!

GoodOlBoy

lightman
03-18-2020, 06:05 PM
Wheel weights work great in the 45 Colt. But if you are going to powder coat them you can get by with a softer alloy.