PDA

View Full Version : New Sight - Installation & Points Before Pulling Trigger

John Boy
11-19-2008, 09:00 PM
OK, you have the Best Vernier Sight now ...
1... So, How do you install it on your rifle?
2... And, how do you line up on the target - looking through that little hole in the ocular?
3... And, what else do you do while looking at the target before you squeeeeze the trigger? We do it approximately 23000 times a day and what physiological action takes place when it happens?
4... And what 'aid' do you carry in your Range Box to better the physiological action?

All of the above are 'ACCESSORIES' to Having Bought the Best Sight!

e15cap
11-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Is this a test????

John Boy
11-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Nope - just basic questions that follow the purchase of the 'Best Sight' through till that target has good groups. Heck, it don't stop just buying the 'Best Sight'. One has to take it out of the box and do things with it

e15cap
11-20-2008, 09:31 AM
What gun are you mounting a sight on? What sight are you mounting? Just look thru the hole and your eye should center the front sight. I carry eye drops in my shooting box as out west we have dry conditions most of the time.
Best Roger

August
11-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Get a Hadley eye-cup from Lee Shaver. It has about a dozen different apertures. Very nice for changing conditions -- time of day, amount of coffee, clouds, cleanliness of glasses, etc.

Try an aperture insert in your globe front sight. Don't have a globe front sight?? Get one!!!

Focus on the front sight, not the target. Using an aperture front insert the attention is on the "space" between the target and the aperture (front). You can, and will, shoot MOA groups with this technique -- all the way out to Tularosa.

montana_charlie
11-20-2008, 01:04 PM
OK, you have the Best Vernier Sight now ...
1... So, How do you install it on your rifle?
It's easy to see that you set the base on your tang, and anchor with two screws.
The screws should be tight...but not 'welded' down. The optimum torque spec for screws of that size probably falls close to 20 (or so) inch-pounds.

What is important is that the tang sight and spirit level agree with each other on what is 'plumb'.

One way to do that is to use a 'bullseye level', which can be had for a buck or two, from a hardware store.
Mount the gun in a cleaning vise (or similar) so that the bullseye is centered as it sits on a barrel flat. Then see if the spirit level agrees.
If they don't, you have to choose which one will be your 'reference'. I go with the barrel flat, and adjust the vial in the spirit level to agree with the bullseye.

Then turn the gun sideways, and position it so the 'upper' barrel flat will center the bullseye. Check the staff of the tang sight by balancing the bullseye on it.

If they agree, you're done.

If you decide to simply use the spirit level as the 'reference', then position the rifle to center the bubble, and use a vertical level against the side of the raised staff.
CM

11-20-2008, 01:24 PM
mt charlie,
First, kudos on smoking out the junk about shooting shotgun slugs at game for a "few hundred yards" thread.... well done!

Next, your explanation of getting to plumb with the tang and front sights is the best I've seen in a while.

SharpsShooter
11-20-2008, 01:42 PM
.......and if the front is level and the tang is not plumb, loosen the tang screws and cut shim stock to correct by placing a shim under the base on the appropriate side, tighten the screws and re check. Cut the shim thin enough to hide it under the sight base.

SS

John Boy
11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
... we're getting there
* Mounting and using shims to put vernier in plumb
* Center vernier on bubble level (if one is used)
* Hadley Ocular --- what is the best opening size?
* Focus on the front sight - yipper!
* Use eye drops - yep, Visine... http://www.visine.com/tout-advanced-relief.jsp e15cap and only one other BPC shooter has ever mentioned using Visine ... VBull. Holder of over 40 National Records.

Q#3 has not been discussed yet

OK, back to the mount of the sight. After it is shimmed up plumb, here's a trick to counter the rotation of the bullet from a right hand twist bore. Tilt the vernier to the left so the plumb of the sight lines up with the level bubble just touching the left hand line. If you have a left hand twist - go the other way. Now, you have a zero wind drift to counter act the rotation of the bullet

11-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Question #3
Blink, focus, exhale, squint, relax, flinch?..... I give :mrgreen:

I think????? you are referring to non-wind induced rotational drift. I guess if it is of consequence you would need to have the rear sight tilted slightly to the left to compensate for the drift in a right hand twist barrel.... with increasing offset as the sight was raised and range increased. I think the non-wind "drift" in the direction of the twist (bullet rotation) is called the Magnus Effect. For the left hand twist the offset for the rear sight would be to the right. Just my guess on all that for sure. I could be all bassackqwards. Interesting to note that the Buffington sight on the trapdoor has the offset for drift built into the sight. Don't know also if that rotational drift effect works the same with roundballs??

Seems like that could double cross the shooter as much as it could help though when doping wind. Like I said don't know. I've always just set the sights to plumb and adjusted to conditions, loads, etc. based on what is happening with POI. :???:

WildmanJack
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
How about, take a deep breath, let half of it out and then hold it. Your pulse should slow a bit and the gun won't move quite as much when trying to sight on a long target.. Am I right or as most of the time.. Full of it.!!!!! lol
Jack

e15cap
11-20-2008, 08:55 PM
All the above is the straight dope - now go shoot the damn thing.
Best Roger

John Boy
11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Blink
If you are using iron sights, be sure that your aiming eye is directly behind the aperture and that you are BLINKING every few seconds to maintain the same moisture coating on the eyeball. Also, DON'T stare for over four to six seconds at your sight picture without glancing to one side of target for a few seconds to eliminate "burning" the target image into the back of your eye. If this happens, you can be aiming somewhere else than your vision indicates.
Kevin Tinny, NMLRA Past President

And yes, we all blink on the average of 23,000 times a day

And on this rotational bullet twist correction of the sight, it was either Rink in his book on ballistics or Halford's 1880 book on the art of shooting - that stated one needs to add 4 MOA @ 1000yds to compensate for the non gravitational drift of a bullet

appleseedgunsmith
11-23-2008, 04:14 PM
dear 405,

Read on, and be educated:

Hornady's own website advertises their SST slug as capable of sub 2" groups at 100 yds. thats what they call "super accurate". 12 ga 2 3/4" with .500 dia. 300 gr saboted bullet, muzzle vel 2000 fps and 100 yd vel of 1641 fps! B.C. of .200! using g1 drag funct. and adjusting for sights 1.5" above axis of bore. look at the following table:

yds drop
(0) -1.5
(100) 0
(200) -11.6
(300) -42.7
(400) -100.8
(500) -191.9

This is my .50-90 load. I designed this bullet on CAD and steve brooks cut the mold. .510 dia. 750 gr (744 actual). semi spitzer bore rider muzzle vel of 1122 fps and 100 yd vel of 1061. using g1 drag funct, B.C. of .455 ! sights are .75 above axis of bore.

yds drop
(0) -.75
(100) 0
(200) -30.3
(300) -94.8
(400) -196.6
(500) -338.5

as you can see the sst slug may have a drastically lower B.C. but has plenty of velocity to get to 500 yds with only 1/2-2/3 the drop of my gun. actually they both reach 500 yds with nearly the same velocity, 910 for the sst and 912 for the .50-90 and for some reason my gun and similar loads are used on 1000yd creedmoor shoots and to win at BPCR competition. i am not saying that the sst slug has enough stability to reach 1000 yds effectively. but there is no reason other than some gun writers egotistical rantings in a magazine that the sst loads could not be used in a slug barrelled sharps to kill game at 500 yds.

if you still doubt then call the two hunters in the pics and tell them that what they did is criminal because they got their trophys at more than 250 and 460 yds with sharps rifles. slugs or rifle bullets- what's the difference? these folks aren't exactly using 7mm mags! louisanna and some other states now allow single shot breech loaders shooting straight walled cartridges like .45-70 in the primitive deer season because the ballistics are comparable to muzzleloaders (and so are shotgun slugs!)

sometimes technological innovations are only possible by "thinking outside the box".