PDA

View Full Version : i want to blue a pistol...what with?

mozeppa
03-14-2020, 06:04 PM
i did one with potassium nitrate, and i really liked the color ...but hated the crystallization that occured...aka "the clean up"
as it cooled there was crystal formation in all the crevices , holes...everywhere.

cold bluing is too blotchy looking.

so what do i use to get a nice dark blue color (chemically) without the intensive clean up?

i'm not looking to use a rust cabinet either.

thanks, mike

Winger Ed.
03-14-2020, 06:54 PM
I'd send it out to be done.

For all the where-with-all it takes to do a really good bluing job like the factories do--
I've never known anyone to beat the system and do anything in their garage that even comes close.

RKJ
03-14-2020, 07:53 PM
Take a look at Brownells, they have a very good cold blue. I don't recall the name right now but I don't expect it would be hard to find.

LAGS
03-14-2020, 08:08 PM
You do not need to use a Rust Cabinet with Slow Rust Bluing.
I just hang my parts in a bathroom that has been steamed up from the shower.
The steam does not have to be constant.
Steam up the room , hang the parts and shut the door for a few hours with the shower turned Off.
I leave my parts over night and boil them in the morning.

roadie
03-14-2020, 08:57 PM
I've blued a lot of guns with the hot blue method, never did I have a problem with cleanup when the guns were properly boiled after the cold rinse. If you don't boil them, then yes, for sure you'll have salts leaching out of crevices forever. Brownells has a solution that neutralizes the salts, I never used it as I had no need to.

If you don't want to rust blue, and you don't like cold blue, your choices become kinda slim.......send it out, or paint it. I never tried potassium nitrate on it's own, curious as to the color and depth you get with it.

Buzz Krumhunger
03-14-2020, 09:12 PM
Brownells Oxpho Blue has been the best cold blue I’ve used. I redid a Remington 788 with it and it came out pretty good. No blotchyness and dark blue.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Take a look at Brownells, they have a very good cold blue. I don't recall the name right now but I don't expect it would be hard to find.

You're probably trying to think of Oxpho Blue. Some nice jobs have been done with it with a little care.

Another option is Belgian Bluing. You'd need one cold tank and one hot tank, but since it's a pistol the tanks could be small.

RKJ
03-14-2020, 09:22 PM
You're probably trying to think of Oxpho Blue. Some nice jobs have been done with it with a little care.

Another option is Belgian Bluing. You'd need one cold tank and one hot tank, but since it's a pistol the tanks could be small.

That is it. I did a Smith M28 that turned out nice.

roadie
03-14-2020, 10:12 PM
I found that if the part is not completely clean and free of oil, a cold blue will be blotchy. I clean with a hot detergent solution and rinse well. For a small, solid part, a scrubbing with lacquer thinners works to get oil off, but it should then be cleaned to be sure of no residue. The main thing is to never touch the metal with greasy fingers, or dirty gloves.

I also soak steel wool in the thinners as it's usually coated with oil and will destroy a cold, or hot rust blue job.

waksupi
03-15-2020, 12:25 PM
i did one with potassium nitrate, and i really liked the color ...but hated the crystallization that occured...aka "the clean up"
as it cooled there was crystal formation in all the crevices , holes...everywhere.

so what do i use to get a nice dark blue color (chemically) without the intensive clean up?

thanks, mike

To get rid of the crystallization, drop it in some Mountain Dew, scrub with a toothbrush, rinse, dry, oil.

wnc435
03-15-2020, 12:31 PM
I use Vans instant gun blue. I thoroughly clean using carb and choke cleaner to remove oils then boil in soap and water then use boiling distilled water for rinse. then fully dip into solution while still hot. Then rinse in boiling distilled water again blow dry then oil and polish with Birchwood Casey's Sheath.

Photog
03-15-2020, 09:15 PM
Not sure of the cleanup issues either. Clean thoroughly, boil in potassium nitrate and sodium hydroxide blend for 15 min, then dip in clean motor oil. Clean with a bit of water and paper towel (its like 4000 grit paper), comes out looking like Ruger Black. I put the blueing solution back in an old kerosene jug and it keeps for a long time.

Tokarev
03-25-2020, 08:03 PM
If one is Okay with the pitch-black "blueing" then you can dump the parts into any soda drink that says "orthophosphoric acid" on the label, for a week or two.
The stainless or alloy steel obtains the "parkerized" greenish tint, while carbon steel becomes pitch-black.
Experiment on a piece of scrap material before you go ahead with the real parts!!!

Metrobluing
03-30-2020, 07:11 AM
Have you ever considered Brownells Dicropan IM hot water bluing chemical? Hot water bluing is simple to do and has an awesome finish. Great for refinishing a pistol.

brstevns
03-30-2020, 12:32 PM
If one is Okay with the pitch-black "blueing" then you can dump the parts into any soda drink that says "orthophosphoric acid" on the label, for a week or two.
The stainless or alloy steel obtains the "parkerized" greenish tint, while carbon steel becomes pitch-black.
Experiment on a piece of scrap material before you go ahead with the real parts!!!

Does that really work?

Tokarev
03-30-2020, 07:33 PM
Does that really work?

What is this question supposed to mean?
If you are questioning my integrity and credibility, go buy a bottle of soda (remember to read the label as many of them nowadays come with no orthophosphoric acid required for this to work), degrease a piece of scrap metal, and give it a try. Post back after a week.

brstevns
03-30-2020, 09:22 PM
What is this question supposed to mean?
If you are questioning my integrity and credibility, go buy a bottle of soda (remember to read the label as many of them nowadays come with no orthophosphoric acid required for this to work), degrease a piece of scrap metal, and give it a try. Post back after a week.

Please forgive me I was not questioning your integrity or credibility. I was just so surprised that something this simple was never put forth before. I was just trying to express my delight that something so simple works.
and wanted to say I am glad you posted the information. The problem with the written word is that it does not always come out the way a person wishes. I should have just said WOW! Great information that I was not aware of and I plan on giving it a try. Once again, please forgive me for any misunderstanding. We are a family here.

Tokarev
03-30-2020, 09:45 PM
No offense taken then! This is the folly of one-liners.
This simple method does work, although, like I said, it takes time and patience because it is slower than other methods.
Oh, I almost forgot! Let the bottle sit open for some time, shaking it every once in a while. You want all CO2 to escape as otherwise it might form bubbles on the part and you get a funny pattern.

flounderman
03-30-2020, 11:16 PM
Mark Lees rust blueing is the best and quickest I have found. No special equipment needed. I boil the parts to degrease them after I clean them with a degreaser, and heat the part with a heat gun, apply the blue, boil it and if it needs more, repeat the procedure. I have gotten satisfactory results, with one application. The heat gun heating the parts is what makes it work. When you apply the oil, is when you see how dark it is

brstevns
03-31-2020, 11:51 AM
No offense taken then! This is the folly of one-liners.
This simple method does work, although, like I said, it takes time and patience because it is slower than other methods.
Oh, I almost forgot! Let the bottle sit open for some time, shaking it every once in a while. You want all CO2 to escape as otherwise it might form bubbles on the part and you get a funny pattern.

Thank you for your understanding.
Now a question, should the container with the part be left in a warm area? or does it seem to make a difference?

Tokarev
03-31-2020, 01:30 PM
I kept it in the basement where it is just below 70 degrees all year round. Not sure if it works better at warmer temperature. If you are interested, just toss a few scrap pieces in and see how they progress.

brstevns
04-05-2020, 03:18 PM
I kept it in the basement where it is just below 70 degrees all year round. Not sure if it works better at warmer temperature. If you are interested, just toss a few scrap pieces in and see how they progress.

thanks will give it a try

Geezer in NH
04-09-2020, 05:18 PM
When the metal comes out of the bluing solution it is boiled in a hot water boil for the same time it was in the salts then rinsed in clear water [tank keeps filling and dumping]. Don't do that salts will crawl everywhere there is a crack or hole.

If it does after the hot water bath you need to increase the time it is in it and CLEAN the water.

Ecramer
04-16-2020, 08:54 AM
I recently rust blued a Colt Detective Special using Brownell's Classic Rust Blue. It was a first time for me, and I'm overall happy with the result. My steam closet consisted of an overturned plastic tub like you put your belongings in when moving, and a shallow metal baking pan full of water resting on the heat pad I use my my lower back -- it doesn't have to be elaborate. I made a couple of mistakes, but it was a good practice run for rust bluing a set of shotgun barrels I'll do later this year.

oldred
04-17-2020, 01:59 PM

thanks, mike

Are you talking about "Nitre blue", dipping the parts in molten potassium nitrate? I would have serious doubts about the safety of doing that to an entire pistol as the molten bath is hot enough to destroy the temper of heat treated parts and thus could seriously weaken things like cylinders, etc. Normally Nitre blue is only used for small parts such as screws, etc.