PDA

View Full Version : Searching the odd parts drawer

Pressman
03-13-2020, 08:23 PM
I got to thinking today, that I have recently seen a Mauser front site in my parts odds and ends. I think it is a new Brownells tall blank. Then it occurred that I have a '96 Swede that will probably need that sight when spring and the shooting season arrives. Looking in all the obvious places I never found the front sight.

But I found a fitted rubber recoil pad for a Swiss K-31, which I have, so that will get installed soon. Then surprise, I found a very nice, really nice Carcano receiver and bolt, when and where that came from I have no idea. I know I have two Carcano rifles that have no stocks, now I have a receiver that needs a barrel. I am winter, cabin fever dreaming again, maybe a 6mm Remington barrel, maybe a 6.5x55 Swede barrel, maybe a 7.5 Swiss barrel. Or....

The action is plenty strong, though the split bridge is kind of a pain to work with. And no after market fancy triggers are available. But, still it's something to ponder.

Some years ago I had a Carcano rebarreled to 308 and chambered for 7.62x39.

Ken

jimkim
03-14-2020, 01:17 AM
I got to thinking today, that I have recently seen a Mauser front site in my parts odds and ends. I think it is a new Brownells tall blank. Then it occurred that I have a '96 Swede that will probably need that sight when spring and the shooting season arrives. Looking in all the obvious places I never found the front sight.

But I found a fitted rubber recoil pad for a Swiss K-31, which I have, so that will get installed soon. Then surprise, I found a very nice, really nice Carcano receiver and bolt, when and where that came from I have no idea. I know I have two Carcano rifles that have no stocks, now I have a receiver that needs a barrel. I am winter, cabin fever dreaming again, maybe a 6mm Remington barrel, maybe a 6.5x55 Swede barrel, maybe a 7.5 Swiss barrel. Or....

The action is plenty strong, though the split bridge is kind of a pain to work with. And no after market fancy triggers are available. But, still it's something to ponder.

Some years ago I had a Carcano rebarreled to 308 and chambered for 7.62x39.

KenHow about 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, or 35 Remington. I've got one myself, and have looked at it for years trying to think of something to rebarrel it to.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

TCLouis
03-14-2020, 02:59 PM
Pressman
6.5X57 or 6.5X257 is where ya wanna be with that Carcano.

Pressman
03-14-2020, 03:21 PM
Lots of great ideas here, now that the local spring gunshow season is finished do to COVID-19 fears it looks like spending $$$ will be more available.

I have found that some Carcano's will drop into a Mauser 98 stock. It's a little big but that can be fixed as long as the action length is correct. Getting closer.

Adam Helmer
03-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Pressman,

Thanks for the heads up. I checked in my closet and found a mint condition M24 Mauser action from who knows where in an old box of many parts. I would like to have it barreled up to 7x57MM.

Adam

frkelly74
03-14-2020, 05:08 PM
I found a Phillips screw driver and a barlow knife and a folding metric allen set. I like your junk drawers better.