PDA

View Full Version : Which is best? MVA or Lee Shavers sights

high wall
03-13-2020, 10:06 AM
Hi.. I have a new Pedersoli high wall coming,, which is the best vernier sight? MVA or Lee Shavers?

country gent
03-13-2020, 11:15 AM
High Wall I have all most all MVA soule long range rears with the hadley eye cups installed in them have no complaints with any if them. The repeat are easy to read and sturdy. Ive never worked with a lee SHaver so cant comment there. I also use the MVA front spirit level globes.

Tatume
03-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Both are excellent.

NSB
03-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Both are excellent and both are great to deal with.

DHDeal
03-15-2020, 08:46 PM
Best? Well MVA is known for their quality sights and optics. Shaver is also a well known supplier of BPCR stuff.

I have and use MVA, Baldwin, and Heilman rears and can't tell a difference in quality between the MVA or the Baldwin. I haven't paid attention to Shaver's products in a long time as I've got my rifles set up the way I want them.

Between the 2 choices you've mentioned, MVA has so many choices and their quality is known.

John Boy
03-15-2020, 08:57 PM
High wall ... flip a coin. Both sight are excellent and equal cost
Question... what’s the longest distance you plan to shoot? Out to 600yds, a mid range. Over 600 a long range vernier. For windage adjustments, the Soule vernier is my choice

RedlegEd
03-15-2020, 09:05 PM
Hi. Welcome to Cast Boolits! I have both and they are both excellent sights. I actually own more of Lee's sights than the MVA, but as country_gent pointed out, I think you might do better with a Soule and Hadley cup instead of a vernier if you plan on shooting >300yds. Whichever brand you choose, you can't go wrong. Make sure you have a good hooded globe front sight to go along with the rear sight. Also, be particularly careful when ordering to get the proper base for the rifle. Not all Highwalls have the same tang screw hole spacing and angle. If you go with Lee Shaver, I highly recommend the economy Soule sight (https://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/winchester-1885-rifles-economy-mid-range-soule/) as it will fit most shooter's needs very well. I'm sure you'll really enjoy your new rifle, especially with good sights. Let us know how it works out.
Ed

rfd
03-18-2020, 08:54 PM
with lee shaver sights, and if yer looking to compete, the super grade is the way to go as it will include the adjustable hadley eye cup and the base will allow infinite vertical adjusting to keep it square to the barrel - you won't get either with the economy grade. i've had both versions and both will include a windage micrometer soule, but the super grade is absolutely the better way to go if competition is the goal.

1Hawkeye
03-26-2020, 06:17 PM
Both are quality sights. I prefer the MVA mid range tang sights for a rear sight and the Lee Shaver spirit level globes for the front. I like the way that Lee's sight secures the aperture like a Lyman 17a rather than a spring tab that gets caught on everything and lets the aperture move around.

barnabus
04-02-2020, 06:13 AM
mva hands down

John Boy
04-02-2020, 11:25 AM
Gents, save your posts ...
High Wall

Last Activity
03-27-2020 08:56 PM