PDA

View Full Version : D.A. revolver ejector rod straightening

cupajoe
03-13-2020, 05:36 AM
I have seen the fixture used to correct runout of an ejector rod but I can't see spending that much cash for something used once in a great while. I am considering clamping the yoke in a padded vice, setting up a dial indicator to find the high side and then using a piece of heavy wall tubing to coax the rod back where it should be. Once the high side is found and marked, can the correcting be done with the cylinder still in the yoke or will the operation "spring" the yoke? I appreciate any input.

Greg S
03-13-2020, 07:52 AM
Why go through the headache if it is available at gunparts.com (Numerich). I would only straighten a crane. If it 8s unobtainium, look at using a drill press to hold and manually spin and dial indicator.

Buzz Krumhunger
03-13-2020, 08:56 AM
I’m not sure there’s any guarantee that one you get from Numrich/Gun Parts will be straight, or even the part you ordered. Several times I’ve received the wrong part from them.

KCSO
03-13-2020, 10:05 AM
Use a lead hammer for straightening. Use a flat plate and put the high side up and tap it back to straight, no big deal. My plate was ground flat in a surface grinder 1/2 steel and used only for straightening.

cupajoe
03-13-2020, 05:00 PM
I guess I could roll it on a piece of glass to determine if the bend is at the threaded section or further up on the "main" shaft. If it is at the threaded section thats going to be a little trickier. Thanks guys.

TNsailorman
03-13-2020, 05:13 PM
I bought a new S&W K frame ejector rod from Brownells for something like $8.22 shipped. I couldn't justify buying repair equipment or fooling with trying to straighten the damaged rod for that. James

NOTE: I just check Brownells online site and found the following. S&W Extractor Rod over 2". Part # 940-054-551WB. Price $10.99 plus shipping.

cupajoe
03-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Got it done. Don't have a flat plate so I used the drill press and dial indicator. Started out at .014 runnout, got it down to less than .003 and called it good. Thanks fellows.