PDA

View Full Version : Virginian Dragoon...

375supermag
03-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Hi...
I bought a new to me .44Magnum Virginian Dragoon yesterday.
Blued and case hardened color with a 7-1/2" barrel.
Revolver locks up tight with essentially no end shake and a minimal cylinder gap.

I didn't really need it...I have four other .44Magnum revolvers including a stainless steel Virginian Dragoon with a 7-1/2" barrel.

Combined with the Uberti SA Remington 1875 .45Colt clone I bought last month, this year is off to a very good start.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Congratulations on your Dragoon purchase. Being happy is what counts. I had two of them back around '79 or '80, but eventually both went down the road. I ended up with a USSA Seville. Now, I'm kind of scheming on a Uberti .44 mag. 1873 Colt clone. I think the best .44 mag. I ever owned was a Ruger Super Blackhawk, but a close friend talked me out of it, saying that he'd never part with it. Next time I saw him--maybe 6 months later, he said he had given it to his son-in-law. [smilie=b:

LUBEDUDE
03-12-2020, 02:26 PM
I had a V/Dragoon in the mid 80’s. I bought it at the Ft. Worth gun show. I thought that the crooked sight bent hard left would not bother me. But it ate at me like a termite so I sold it even though it shot fine. I didn’t want to put the time, money and effort for a repair.

GSP7
03-12-2020, 05:58 PM
Here's ya some info

https://www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf

NuJudge
03-15-2020, 06:32 PM
I have a Stainless one on which the forcing cone split, but it never gave me any trouble before that. I have a blued one which I used to shoot a lot, and gave me no trouble. I got two more Stainless ones from my father's estate, and he liked them.

Pachmayr used to make rubber grips for them, which was an improvement. Somebody used to make a scope mount that clamped on the barrel, I had one and it worked well, but it was hard on scope tubes.

375supermag
03-15-2020, 10:04 PM
Hi...
I got the new to me Virginian Dragoon out to the range today.
Took a few adjustments to the rear sight to get it hitting consistently on a steel plate at 25 yds.
Ran about 50 rounds through it and the action is a bit stiff and the ejector rod wants to stick intermittently. Probably take it apart and clean it up and relube it and see if that helps.

Nice revolver and we will get these couple minor issues ironed out.
Then we will do some accuracy tests at 25yds to see what kind of potential it has.