PDA

View Full Version : Lee 2Cavity .454 RB Mold

trapper44shooter
03-11-2020, 05:44 PM
I am almost ready to start BUT I am a little confused on heating up my mold how long should I leave it on top of my 4 20 for it to warm up & will I still need to dip the corner in the molten lead too I have already prepped the mold I cleaned it with alcohol & I took a wooden match & let the mold blacken up good with carbon :wink:

Mk42gunner
03-11-2020, 06:56 PM
I usually rest the mold on the alloy as it heats up, then once the pot is fully liquid and fluxed, I test by dipping the front lower corner in the pot. If lead sticks to it, it needs to heat more. If lead doesn't stick, start filling the cavities.

One thing in your favor is that round balls are very easy to get well filled boolits.

Don't be nervous start casting. If you have problems, check back for more advice.

Just be safe,

Robert

metricmonkeywrench
03-11-2020, 07:03 PM
To help things along I picked up a single burner hot plate from Wally World with an old tile saw blade (circular saw blades work as well). I turn the hot plate to mid range and crank up the lead pot. About the time the lead is stable the moulds are ready to go.