PDA

View Full Version : A Lube to Duplicate LBT Commercial??

32Special
11-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I've cast off and on for about 25 years (I restart whenever bullet prices go through the roof or have a need for a specialty bullet).

I've ony used a few bullet lubes. NRA Alox, of course, but I found it too soft and messy for my uses.

LBT hard, I believe it is commercial, has been the best I've tried, and I'm almost out. I bought some LBT soft last time, on Veral's recommendation, but it doesn't work as well. I did a side-by-side test last week using LBT soft and hard lubes; same load loaded the same day and only varying the lubes. I got some leading at 9mm velocities with soft, but none with hard. Hard has worked for me in every application from 600 fps to 2000 fps. LBT soft was good at 38 special velocities, but even then, the hard gave better accuracy.

Is there a lube that duplicates LBT commercial but at a lower price? The LBT commercial requires a heater, but stays in the bullet grooves and is non-sticky after it cools.

I wouldn't be opposed to making a lube, but many of the recipes I see posted seem like alchemy and have an amazing variety of components (many of which I haven't heard of or would know where to get).

targetshootr
11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I have the same dilemma with Magma lube. It works well but I'd rather make my own without having to find eye-of-newt and such.

jhalcott
11-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Did you ever try Felix World Famous Lube ? I've used it in 7T/cu, 30-30, .44mag and 35 rem and whelen. Velocities above 2000 and below 800 fps. Excellent accuracy and so far NO leading. On cold days a heater helps.

KYCaster
11-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Try Lar's White Label lubes. (link at the bottom of this page) His Carnauba Red works very well for me in pistol and rifle up to 2000+ fps and you can't beat his prices anywhere.

Jerry

Southron Sanders
11-19-2008, 03:08 PM
A favorite bullet lube of mine is to melt some beeswax and then add some "Bore Butter" into it. Generally, I prefer 7 parts beeswax to 3 parts of Bore Butter. The lube works fine with breechloading black powder firearms. I don't see why it wouldn't work just as good with loads containing smokeless powder and shooting bullets at a moderate velocity.

When melting beeswax, use the "double boiler" technique because if heated too high, it could catch fire! Never, never, leave melting beeswax alone-I always stay around so I can turn down the temperature if it starts to "smoke."

Everyone has their own favorite lube reciepe! It is fun to experiement until you find a reciepe that is just right for you.

32Special
11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm looking for a hard when cold, non-sticky lube. My sizer has a heater.

I sent Whilte Label an email, but haven't heard back. Carnauba Red might be the ticket I'm looking for. Any idea what is in it? For the price he asks I wouldn't set up to make it. I'm just curious. For a $1.60 per stick, I wouldn't make the mess at home!

IF I knew what was in LBT commercial, I might set up to make a duplicate because of the cost savings and the fact that my experience has been so favorable with it.

Lloyd Smale
11-20-2008, 08:26 AM
mix felix and a comercial hard lube like magma blue and you will get a lube that looks and acts like lbt. Ive never tried it but id bet if you mixed javalina and magma it would get you there too.

Just Duke
11-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Try Lar's White Label lubes. (link at the bottom of this page) His Carnauba Red works very well for me in pistol and rifle up to 2000+ fps and you can't beat his prices anywhere.

Jerry

I here that. It works great in my 45-70's and all my 45 Long Colt rifles and pistols.

32Special
11-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I've emailed Lars twice about his lubes, but have gotten no answer. Is he normally difficult to reach?

I wanted to quiz him about the differences between the Red, 2500+ and his blended lube (forgot what he calls it; been a few days since I looked and emailed).

I do think the Carnauba might be just the ticket.

45r
11-22-2008, 09:28 PM
I've tried 2500 and carnuba red and both are excellent,use 2500 in cold weather and carnuba red in hot.Have shot ragged hole groups with revolvers and my Marlins.Don't even think about other lubes since they work so well and price is hard to beat.2500 doesn't need heat and is becoming my most used over carnuba red.