PDA

View Full Version : Reheating alloy

MR CHEN
03-10-2020, 01:11 AM
If I mix a pot of alloy, flux it, turn the pot off, do I need to flux again before casting?
I flux with sawdust and leave it on top of the melt.

Rcmaveric
03-10-2020, 01:21 AM
I don't. I flux with borax and leave the glass sheet on there. When it gets to the last inch of melt I use wax to flux the borax out and any carbon on the bottom. Refill and flux and then coat the top with new borax.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dtknowles
03-10-2020, 01:22 AM
Do you need too. I don't know. Why wouldn't you. I flux often. I too, leave the ash on top but I scrape it off and reflux pretty often. Thinking about it, I usually reflux when I add metal so I think if you don't add metal you could skip reflux until you do.

Tim

FLINTNFIRE
03-10-2020, 01:24 AM
I would say no , I clean all my scrap when melting outside , I do drop some wax in at times when casting but you have already fluxed and as long as your surface is covered you are not oxidizing , I do it myself at times when adding older oxidized bullets or ingots but I also put cat litter on top of alloy in pot.

44Blam
03-10-2020, 01:54 AM
If you are fluxing with sawdust, why not? I flux with sawdust and made a HUGE bag of it a year or two back from one project... I'm still using it... I actually like the smell of pine sawdust...

MR CHEN
03-10-2020, 03:53 PM
So it sounds like I'm good to go if I don't add to the melt while casting.

RydForLyf
03-10-2020, 04:30 PM
I flux when starting but add fresh lead one pound at a time to keep pot full and prevent having to monkey around with spout. After 15 or maybe 20 pounds, I may flux again if the top is starting to get lumpy. I don’t flux nearly as often as I did when I first started casting.

Springfield
03-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Melt it, then stir it, if you have crap on the top you need to re-flux, if you don't, then you don't. Not really any guessing involved.

kevin c
03-10-2020, 07:01 PM
^^^

Pithy, practical and to the point.

FLINTNFIRE
03-11-2020, 12:11 AM
I add to pot constantly sprues every so many casts and a little ingot here and there old bullets and whatever prefluxed lead I have rendered down and have ready to go , do not get much lumpy or other stuff in my casting pot , every once in awhile I skim off the old cat litter and debris and put in melting pot so when I melt scrap down it gets remelted and clean ingots to start over . On sprues I have a old metal bread pan that I drop them in along with any rejects I notice , that way in constantly adding I do not have spout freeze unless I want to take a short break then I cast till pots down well under half and put mold on hot plate at warm and fill pot with sprues and ingots and go do something for the time it takes to unfreeze spout and start over .