PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in a peep sight?

Kev18
03-09-2020, 11:52 PM
Anything special I need to know? I really want to sight this thing in properly. Il probably go hunting with my rifle more this year, so I want it to be as accurate as possible.
Is it similar to open sights/ buck horns, or does something change? :Fire:
https://i.imgur.com/ZcNo1Z0.jpg

Winger Ed.
03-10-2020, 12:01 AM
Put the top of the front sight in the center as you look through it, and it should be a sharp image.
The rear sight will normally be a little fuzzy.

The sight picture from the front sight forward to the target will be the same as a open buckhorn.
The full circle of the rear aperture will help your sight alignment be better and more precise.

The buckhorn/open leaf is made to quickly acquire and follow a moving target,
the peep sight will be more accurate on a stationary/long range one.

M-Tecs
03-10-2020, 12:10 AM
http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?page_id=502

rockshooter
03-10-2020, 12:39 AM
good article- thanks for the link!
Loren

tdoor4570
03-10-2020, 10:00 AM
thanks for the link liked it good info

pietro
03-10-2020, 10:48 AM

Anyone unfamiliar with peep sights should learn/practice they way they use the sight.

For a clean sight picture, it's best to either remove the rear barrel open/iron sight or switch it out for a folder.

The shooter should look THROUGH the peep sight aperture, and not "at" it - rendering the peep sight virtually invisible while shooting.

While looking through the aperture, the shooter should focus on the front sight, placing it "on target", beit game or paper. (it's OK if the target is slightly out of focus)

The shooter should NEVER try to center the front sight in the peep sight aperture, since the human eye naturally does that subconsiously.

While a small aperture works best for zeroing and shooting at paper targets, many find they attain faster sight acquisition while hunting if they remove the aperture (not possible due to the design of a few peep sights) and shoot through the resulting "ghost ring" w/o very much change in accuracy.

When I have a tang peep sight mounted on rifle that has a rear barrel iron sight, I usually switch the rear sight out for a folder, then set up the rifle with dual zeroes for different ranges (like 50-75 yds for the bbl sight & 150yd +/- for the tanger). YMMV

I've found that practice makes perfect...….. [smilie=b:

Drm50
03-10-2020, 11:04 AM
Pietro has good advice. I have peep sights on around 25 rifles from 22s to 45/70. The tang sight I don’t use on hunting rifles. They are slow and basically for stationary shooting. On my hunting rifles I have receiver sight type peeps. These with large aperture are about as fast you can get on moving targets.

country gent
03-10-2020, 01:44 PM
A Lot make the mistake of using to small a aperture in the rear sight for hunting, this limits the light getting to the eye and lowering vision. Sight in for a center hold. As has been said you look thru the rear not at it the eye naturally centers in it. A large bead front can help with seeing sight alignment.
A little trigger time and you will be surprised how fast and accurate these sights can be

northmn
03-10-2020, 03:37 PM
Those old tang sights were often called "long range sights". When used in a pair with the iron sights they were often set at a longer range like 200 yards as an instance. If one gets really good with them and it is a good set properly mounted you can adjust for different ranges. Very few do that today and long range shooting with that type of sight at game may be questionable. Would take a lot of practice.

DEP

dverna
03-10-2020, 06:10 PM
I used tang sights on both a Marlin 1894 and Uberti 1873 clone for fast CAS shooting...with the aperture removed.

You can shoot accurately and fast with them.

I would be concerned with mounting a tang sight on a hunting rifle that will be carried in the woods. Seems it will catch branches and/or get moved. That would not be a problem hunting from a blind.

I have a “beater” Winchester 94 that I purchased a tang sight for and hope to try it out this year.

TCLouis
03-10-2020, 08:11 PM
Not what you are asking, but is the interior of the barrel on that rifle shooting condition.

Just curious, going by the look of that receiver and hammer?

Texas by God
03-10-2020, 09:26 PM
Start out at 25yards, then 50 to get the windage right before you try long range. Save that ammo by starting close- because you can't bore sight the 86.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Kev18
03-10-2020, 10:11 PM
Start out at 25yards, then 50 to get the windage right before you try long range. Save that ammo by starting close- because you can't bore sight the 86.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ok, il try short range and move up.

Kev18
03-10-2020, 10:12 PM
Not what you are asking, but is the interior of the barrel on that rifle shooting condition.

Just curious, going by the look of that receiver and hammer?

Yes, barrel is in good condition, probably shot this thing hundreds of times. I put alot of time and money into it.

Kev18
03-10-2020, 10:13 PM
Also, does anyone know where I can get small wrenches to tighten the nuts for the sight? I cant find any that small...

pcmacd
03-10-2020, 10:23 PM
Also, does anyone know where I can get small wrenches to tighten the nuts for the sight? I cant find any that small...

I have a set of "ignition wrenches" I purchased from Sears 48 years ago. Even though Sears is not around much, they sold the brand. Ask at an Ace Hardware. Or any number of places that now carry Craftsman.

I used them for the first time in 30 years just last week. I mean, where does one find a 5/32" box wrench?????

Kev18
03-10-2020, 11:41 PM
I have a set of "ignition wrenches" I purchased from Sears 48 years ago. Even though Sears is not around much, they sold the brand. Ask at an Ace Hardware. Or any number of places that now carry Craftsman.

I used them for the first time in 30 years just last week. I mean, where does one find a 5/32" box wrench?????

Im ordering a set now. Thanks!

bigted
03-11-2020, 09:22 PM
Just a hint about mounting ... ensure that the staff is perfectly vertical with the front sight. The further up you adjust the aperture, the farther off your horizontal will be if the staff is not vertical with the front sight. I usually use a small level that I use on the receiver side to ensure plumb on the receiver ... then either a plumb bob or the level to adjust the mounting of the staff mount so that the staff is perfectly level/plumb. To adjust I file on one side or the other of the wrist mount to adjust left or right for that perfect plumb stance of the staff.

Other then that ... the farther up the staff, the higher the impact moves on your target ... to move the impact left on target, move the aperture left ... right impact, move the aperture right.

Adjust your aperture size so as to have as clear of a vision of the front size as you can get. In my case, I use this size aperture for hunting and target. In low light, I will remove the aperture completely as mentioned above, for a ghost ring setup.

Receiver sights are ... in my opinion ... the absolute best sight available. Fold it back over the comb when carrying and a fast flip up when needed. Great setup!

W.R.Buchanan
03-11-2020, 10:45 PM
I mean, where does one find a 5/32" box wrench?????

In a Craftsman Ignition Wrench Kit! That's where. Harbor Freight probably has something close?

Just like the one I have from back when engines had distributors and coils with points and such like that. Also 1/4" drive socket sets had sockets down to 1/8".

Randy

Kev18
03-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Anyone know a period correct folding rear sight? Or where I can get one?

Randy Bohannon
03-12-2020, 01:00 PM
www.MVA.com

bigted
03-12-2020, 03:33 PM
Kev, look on Ebay. I have seen vintage wrist mounted Lyman and other standup sights for various rifles.

Kev18
03-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Kev, look on Ebay. I have seen vintage wrist mounted Lyman and other standup sights for various rifles.

Yeah but the old ones are expensive. Il look for a folding rear sight.

bigted
03-12-2020, 04:46 PM
Midway USA has em for 120. "Marples wrist mounted peep sights"

Kev18
03-12-2020, 06:28 PM
Midway USA has em for 120. "Marples wrist mounted peep sights"

I dont want a peep sight, I want a folding rear sight so I can fold it down when I use my peep.

bigted
03-12-2020, 06:30 PM
Ahhh ... I missed that ... srry ... LOL

Thinkin I'm clickin with ya now.

bigted
03-12-2020, 06:44 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marlin-Model-336-30-30-Lever-Action-Rifle-Folding-Rear-Sight-Riser-/233375440425

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004990046

These?

44Blam
03-12-2020, 10:33 PM
www.MVA.com

I think the site is:
https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

Anyway, I sent my wife the link to the 101 mid range as a 'suggestion' for my birthday - which is coming up... I want to put that on my 1895.
Currently, I have a Skinner peep sight and I can hit 2' plates at 300 yards consistently and have hit plates at 400 yards but I'm holding above the target...

Kev18
03-13-2020, 12:59 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marlin-Model-336-30-30-Lever-Action-Rifle-Folding-Rear-Sight-Riser-/233375440425

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004990046

These?

Ya, something like that, I have one on my marlin, id like one of those old lyman folding leaf sights.

35 Whelen
03-14-2020, 06:11 AM
It's a little surprising how much misinformation there is on using aperture sights, but it really is simple. Disregard the aperture or peep, just look through the hole and put the front sight where you want the bullet to go.

35W

Kev18
03-14-2020, 08:22 AM
It's a little surprising how much misinformation there is on using aperture sights, but it really is simple. Disregard the aperture or peep, just look through the hole and put the front sight where you want the bullet to go.

35W

Yeah, I need to practice that. Iv'e always had barrel sights.

bigted
03-16-2020, 09:22 PM
I know that is my battle as well. Hard to remember to NOT focus on the ring. When I relax and do not use them as barrel sights ... they work very well.

As stated ... look through the aperture not at it. Hard for me but if I keep in practice ... as with trigger squeeze ... it gets easier for me.

Kev18
03-17-2020, 06:48 PM
I went to shoot yesterday just for fun with my dad. I bought him a Henry wild life edition 45-70 brass frame for Christmas. It was his first time shooting it so I brought my rifle too. I was probably at 50 yards or so and hit the target (A road sign maybe 8x20 inches). I hit it 2/3 shots. I haven't sighted it in yet but its doing decent.

skeettx
03-17-2020, 06:57 PM
For your Tang sight and rear barrel sight
Sight the tang sight for 200 yards, and the barrel sight for 100 yards
So you can keep the barrel sight on and will just be looking over it when
you use the tang sight

Mike

jimb16
03-17-2020, 09:00 PM
I shoot a lot of skeet. As a result, for quick shots out to 50 yards, I don't even bother with a rear sight. My cheek weld is consistent enough that using only the front sight, I can hit minute of soup bowl every shot. I use the tang sight for longer or precision shots only. At 50 yards, the shots overlap with the tang sight, taking time to aim carefully. My 73 is about as accurate as I am on good days and will do anything I need it to out to 100 yards. BTW My marbles came with 3 different size aperture disks. I sometimes shoot with the small disk with a large aperture. It is a good one for hunting as it is large enough for fast target acquisition at typical hunting ranges.

Kev18
03-18-2020, 12:18 AM
I shoot a lot of skeet. As a result, for quick shots out to 50 yards, I don't even bother with a rear sight. My cheek weld is consistent enough that using only the front sight, I can hit minute of soup bowl every shot. I use the tang sight for longer or precision shots only. At 50 yards, the shots overlap with the tang sight, taking time to aim carefully. My 73 is about as accurate as I am on good days and will do anything I need it to out to 100 yards. BTW My marbles came with 3 different size aperture disks. I sometimes shoot with the small disk with a large aperture. It is a good one for hunting as it is large enough for fast target acquisition at typical hunting ranges.

I got the lyman tang and it came with three disks also. Its a good sight but honestly I just didn't like the look of it. Iv'e been wanting a ladder style peep sight forever and finally got one from a member on another forum. Can't beat the price I got it for... Im really thankful.

veeman
03-18-2020, 10:34 AM
You'd have to D&T, but you might consider a Skinner peep. http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

Kev18
03-24-2020, 11:42 PM
I went to shoot a few rounds and it shoots nice at close range. Maybe 20-40 yards is good. At long range it needs to be adjsuted more.

Geobru
03-28-2020, 07:06 AM
I use a tang site on my 86 for hunting and am amazed at how easy it is to quickly get on target, moving or stationary. I hunt in the timber, so shots longer than 125 yards are rare, so I sight the tang sight in for 100 yards. For a 200 yard shot, I adjust the height a certain number of turns up and consistently hit an 8" target at 200 yards. Best 100 yard target is 1.75".

I use aluminum shims made from pop cans to get my tang sights plumb.

Kev18
03-28-2020, 08:09 PM
I use a tang site on my 86 for hunting and am amazed at how easy it is to quickly get on target, moving or stationary. I hunt in the timber, so shots longer than 125 yards are rare, so I sight the tang sight in for 100 yards. For a 200 yard shot, I adjust the height a certain number of turns up and consistently hit an 8" target at 200 yards. Best 100 yard target is 1.75".

I use aluminum shims made from pop cans to get my tang sights plumb.

Whats a good target size, for hunting? a paper plate? Its about the kill zone of a deer... Heart lungs etc...

35 Whelen
03-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Whats a good target size, for hunting? a paper plate? Its about the kill zone of a deer... Heart lungs etc...

I used to shoot High Power and the bulls for that discipline are in 6" increments; that is 6" @ 100 yds., 12" @ 200, and ultimately 36" @ 600, all of which make for a consistent sight picture. So, I like 6" centers.

35W

Kev18
03-29-2020, 11:37 AM
OK, thanks.

pietro
03-30-2020, 01:29 PM

After a rifle is zeroed, I practice using reality...….

I cut deer vital area sized 12"x18" ovals out of (free) cardboard brown boxes/cartons, attach of them each to a stake, then set the stakes out at typical/random "hunting" ranges (25yds, 50yds, 75-100yds, 150yds, etc)

Most of the time I face away from the "target", before rapidly turning & firing to simulate suddenly-presented game shots.

Kev18
03-30-2020, 03:40 PM
After a rifle is zeroed, I practice using reality...….

I cut deer vital area sized 12"x18" ovals out of (free) cardboard brown boxes/cartons, attach of them each to a stake, then set the stakes out at typical/random "hunting" ranges (25yds, 50yds, 75-100yds, 150yds, etc)

Most of the time I face away from the "target", before rapidly turning & firing to simulate suddenly-presented game shots.

Makes sense. Il try that. I have a life size deer decoy thats made for archery. I used it for a few shots. Now it has a few holes... bad idea.

M-Tecs
03-30-2020, 04:59 PM

The old adage of using a 8" or 9" paper plate is spot on for an actual apx size. For myself I use a 6" target to judge max distance. This gives been a little margin for error. I wounded a buck in 1971 with a bow. That was the first deer I shot. Didn't like the feeling. In the years since I have lost one with the rifle. That is at total of two lost with about 60 taken the bow and 150 plus with a rifle or handgun.

The pics below are from one of my bow kills. Field dress weight was 156 and it scored 126. The reason I took the pics is a coworker was claiming 18" behind the should was still a solid lung shot.

15 inches top to bottom

18 inches

10 inches

Kev18
03-31-2020, 12:45 AM
Can't get any better then those pics. Thanks :)

Walks
03-31-2020, 01:33 AM
I think both Marbles and Williams still make folding leaf bbl sights.

And take the instructions to the Range with you.