PDA

View Full Version : Walnut for

fn1889m
03-09-2020, 12:23 AM
Today was a good day. Went to my LGS range and picked up 5 gallons of range scrap. Owners said any Sunday was OK. Came home and cast ingots (with dry scrap). Did not get great results fluxing with candle wax. Used walnut Lizard bedding from the tumbler. It seems to work well. Is this a thing? Does anyone else use walnut for flux? It formed a nice cover over the lead. When I remove it, the lead was clean.

FLINTNFIRE
03-09-2020, 12:29 AM
Whatever works for you is a good thing , I use wood debris and sawdust and oil , if it works for you then go with it.

fn1889m
03-09-2020, 12:35 AM
Will mix it with wax next time.

lightman
03-09-2020, 10:02 AM
Any substance that produces carbon will work. Paper, leaves, sawdust, ect. It seems like pine works better than some other types of wood, maybe because of the rosin thats in it. But if what you have works thats what matters.

I usually flux 2 times with sawdust when smelting scrap followed with one time with wax.

bangerjim
03-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Yes anything that is carbon-based will work to flux, although some things smell and work far better!!!!!

I use ONLY bees wax for reduction for the final re-melting process and during all casting sessions. Smells great and has a higher flash point so it does not ignite as easily as smelly old paraffin candle wax.

banger

Elpatoloco
03-09-2020, 07:13 PM
Will mix it with wax next time.

I use pecan hulls from peeling pecans all winter. I always throw them in with the melt when its heating up. Scared of moisture. Works well and keeps me from hauling a bunch of them off.