PDA

View Full Version : Even MORE star sizer ???'s

FN in MT
11-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Gentleman,

My STAR sizer came in and it's truly a thing of BEAUTY! Now a few questions and pleas for input..

Bench space is at a premium. I have thought I'd like to mount the press to a piece of 1/2 plywood 1' wide and 2' or 2 1/2' wide. This would allow me to sit it on the shotshell bench, then drop three or four 25# bags of shot on the plywood to secure it. OR C-Clamp it to the bench. I have no idea at all about handle pressure when sizing.

Or........ IF You think it's going to move around too much I'll simply drill a few holes, mount it to the bench. I could always remove it to make room for other projects.

I got a .430" die as I'm going to size #429421 slugs so how should I position the shot pellets in my STAR die?? leave the middle holes open I'm guessing? Any tried and true measurement for positioning the top punch??

Thanks,

FN in MT

Jon K
11-18-2008, 06:56 PM
FN,

I have the 2nd row open on the die and the punch is 1' from the housing. it was like that when I got it, and i use it on Saeco #442/420/ Lyman 427666.

garandsrus
11-18-2008, 07:18 PM
FN in MT,

You will want to clamp or screw the sizer to the bench :)

John

lathesmith
11-18-2008, 07:55 PM
FN, I think you may want to consider 3/4 plywood instead of 1/2". And, as garandsrus suggests, clamping this to the bench is the way to go. Enjoy!
lathesmith

cajun shooter
11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
You might want to wait before you mount that star. I see that you live in the cold North and will need a heater of some sort. Even with soft lubes at time. I mounted mine on a 3/8 piece of aluminum thats 4 1/2 x 12. Then mounted this to a 2x6 about 9 in. Then mount this to a 2x6 about 16 in. This setup allows you to use a travel iron for heating lube in sizer and the longer piece is for mounting to bench. The smaller piece keeps heat away from bench. This set up allows the sizer to be used with 4 in. clamps and then removed when not sizing. Have fun!!

FN in MT
11-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Appreciate all the replies. After a long bike ride I think I will simply mount it on my shotshell loader bench and live with it. I can always take it off if I need the room.

I've got the heater base as I keep my loading room quite cool in the Winter as my Malamute and Siberian like to come in to be with the Alpha Male (Yours truly) and the cool basement keeps them comfortable.

Now I need to cast some .44 slugs so I can try this Baby out!!

FN in MT

cuzinbruce
11-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I bought a Star a few years ago. It was already mounted on a piece of aluminum angle about a foot long, and wide enough for the base on the sizer. A heavy piece of aluminum. I just clamp the vertical part of the angle in a bench vise and go. Works like a charm.

454PB
11-18-2008, 11:01 PM
The Star takes more time to get everything adjusted correctly, but is certainly worth it. To make it easier when you change dies, it's a good idea to use a dial caliper and record the measurement between the boolit punch and the top of the die.

mtgrs737
11-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I have mine screwed to a Midway heater and a "C" clamp to hold everything to the bench.