PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Conversion $$$$$

Fly
03-08-2020, 11:57 AM
Has anyone noticed how much Cartridge Conversions have gone up. I have two, one for one of my 1858 remy & one for
my colt dragon. I bought the cheapest price one at the time Howell. Been very happy with it. I have not abandoned my
cap & ball, but both are fun to shoot. I was looking last night at some & the price has gone up crazy. I can't remember what
I paid for the Howell cylinder I think less than $100 but maybe someone can chime in on that. But some of them are $300 are more.
Even the cheapest Howell is over $250 & some of theres are $300. I would never pay that & hope you won,t ether. Let them sit on
there shelves & rot. Let,s hear from you guys.

Fly

Tar Heel
03-08-2020, 12:13 PM
While I do not know the original prices and when those were introduced, I do believe they are overpriced for the material and time to make them. I think they are jacking up the price to capitalize on a very specific market, if you know what I mean. Heck, for $300 one can buy a used cartridge gun.

indian joe
03-09-2020, 01:15 AM
Has anyone noticed how much Cartridge Conversions have gone up. I have two, one for one of my 1858 remy & one for
my colt dragon. I bought the cheapest price one at the time Howell. Been very happy with it. I have not abandoned my
cap & ball, but both are fun to shoot. I was looking last night at some & the price has gone up crazy. I can't remember what
I paid for the Howell cylinder I think less than $100 but maybe someone can chime in on that. But some of them are $300 are more.
Even the cheapest Howell is over $250 & some of theres are $300. I would never pay that & hope you won,t ether. Let them sit on
there shelves & rot. Let,s hear from you guys.

Fly

Fly
I bet our hair has turned from black to grey (or fell out) since those conversion cylinders were a hundred bucks - I've been interested in them for ages and I reckon the first price I saw was around 250 - most of the price of a cheap capgun at the time anyway.
joe

Good Cheer
03-09-2020, 08:08 AM
While I do not know the original prices and when those were introduced, I do believe they are overpriced for the material and time to make them. I think they are jacking up the price to capitalize on a very specific market, if you know what I mean. Heck, for $300 one can buy a used cartridge gun.

Yeah reckon you got something there.:rolleyes:
The prices are enough to give anybody pause and thwart impulse buying.

mazo kid
03-09-2020, 09:29 AM
I don't think they were ever $100.00; can't remember what the Howell's started out as, but do remember they were expensive. When he started out (IIRC) he was a small business. I bought my cylinders for just over $200.00 each and got one as a bonus when I bought a used C&B revolver.

shortlegs
03-09-2020, 10:01 AM
Taylors & Co. Firearms has some of the lowest prices on conversion cylinders.

KCSO
03-09-2020, 10:24 AM
Depends on what kind of conversion you want. Even the cheapest the Taylors requires cylinders made with a draft to the chambers and this requires a special set up for the milling and reaming the chambers. If you think this is expensive on a basicly novelty item. (No Mass Market) Try buying a quality milling machine and making the tooling to do the job. Even turning down the cylinder on a cap and ball and chambering and making a back plate and a firing pin ect. is a long and costly job.

Now in 1866 Remington was converting revolvers for $4 each. Surplus revolvers were $6. and this was a factory with a heavy demand. Most folks today will just go t Cimarron or Taylors and buy a modern style conversion revolver rather than spend the extra on a authentic conversion.

frogleg
03-09-2020, 11:22 AM
Yep in 1968 I was pumping Gas at a Skelly station gas was 19 cents a gallon (gas war remember those?) and I was getting paid 1.50 an hour, It's all relative I guess.

Fly
03-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Maybe you guys are right, I just do not paying near those prices. But my memory fads me. KCSO I,m a retired tool & die maker & owned my own
tool shop for many years. I know about machining believe me. But with CNC machines & such we have to day that is still way out of line. Those cylinders
cost more than a complete pistol. I know the cost goes down the more that made. But that is still way out line. Those cylinders don't cost that much more to
make than say a Pieta replacement cylinder. But what can I say I bought two myself. I just don,t remember paying that much, but I must have.

Fly

Jniedbalski
03-10-2020, 04:52 PM
I always wanted one my Self. The price always kept me from buying one. I can buy a cartridge gun for not much more.