PDA

View Full Version : First casties

Bigtravoz
03-08-2020, 02:45 AM
Did my first experiment in casting today. Learned a lot about the techniques that are required to get the perfect pour. Had it down pat by the time I ran out of lead. I think they came out alright for a beginner.

Iwsbull
03-08-2020, 04:29 AM
Nice looking boolits and welcome aboard. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful guys in here to help us newbies out. Glad your here and off to a great start.
Are you going to lube or powdercoat and what all are you casting and loading for?

Land Owner
03-08-2020, 05:46 AM
Not so "good looking" if they are supposed to be 22 Bator Boolits… [smilie=1: :kidding:
Just kidding. Nice! What caliber/mold? Where Down Under?

...oh and, Welcome Aboard.

Bigtravoz
03-08-2020, 05:54 AM
Nice looking boolits and welcome aboard. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful guys in here to help us newbies out. Glad your here and off to a great start.
Are you going to lube or powdercoat and what all are you casting and loading for?
Using lee alox lube the Lyman cast book recommends it for rifle loads.

Bigtravoz
03-08-2020, 05:56 AM
Not so "good looking" if they are supposed to be 22 Bator Boolits… [smilie=1: :kidding:
Just kidding. Nice! What caliber/mold? Where Down Under?

...oh and, Welcome Aboard.
200 grain lee mould 309. Will be gas checked, well the ones not shot subsonic will. Loading in a 30-06. Near Melbourne Australia.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-08-2020, 08:52 AM
I should have known you were from down under from "casties"! Welcome to the hobby and to the forum! What do you plan on shooting with those?

StuBach
03-08-2020, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the addiction.

Very nice first run.

kevin c
03-08-2020, 01:06 PM
I had trouble starting out with stubby groove less pistol boolits and here you are starting out by dropping a perfect long, skinny, multi grooved beastie with a gas check relief no less. Impressive!

Bad Ass Wallace
03-08-2020, 06:10 PM

Next thing you'll be casting boolits for multiple guns and have lots of moulds!

https://i.imgur.com/5R8I0TW.jpg

Bigtravoz
03-09-2020, 05:50 AM
I should have known you were from down under from "casties"! Welcome to the hobby and to the forum! What do you plan on shooting with those?
Fallow deer, and feral dogs and foxes. Probably some paper for giggles too.

Bigtravoz
03-09-2020, 05:51 AM
I had trouble starting out with stubby groove less pistol boolits and here you are starting out by dropping a perfect long, skinny, multi grooved beastie with a gas check relief no less. Impressive!
Thanks. I have made lots of sinkers in a past life. Lol

Bigtravoz
03-09-2020, 05:54 AM

Already got a work mate begging me to make wadcutters for him. Guessing that will be my next mould. Lol

Land Owner
03-09-2020, 07:46 AM
Near Melbourne Australia.
Been there. Done Moomba Festival. Interesting City/countryside along the southern shore. I peeved one sheila in Melbourne and she cussed me for a week "at every bar in town" (so I was told). Oh well...we were younger then.

During my career, I designed site and structural work for a launch complex in Woomera too. Sadly, it was not constructed so I did not get to go there. Some warehouse/office-type buildings were built at that site (I think), but not the launch pad or rocket launcher.

I watched an hour-long YouTube documentary about the Dingo there. They are an infestation on the West side (?) of an ultra-long fence (literally 1000's of kilometers - if I recall correctly) and are a bane to cattlemen and sheep ranchers. Lots of trigger time in them I suppose. Too bad they are good for nothing...

Bigtravoz
03-09-2020, 07:49 AM
They are good for the hip pocket. $120 per dog in Victoria.

lightman
03-09-2020, 09:54 AM
Welcome aboard, Mate! It looks like you are off to a good start.

Bigtravoz
03-11-2020, 02:20 AM

Very nice first run.
I am certainly addicted. Haven’t shot one yet and I am already chasing ingots of bullet grade casting lead. Picked up 12 kgs of lead this afternoon and cast 75 this morning, cause I had the day off thanks to a ruptured disc. Only good position that didn’t hurt was standing in front of the pot upright. Will have an order placed soon for some good stuff to alloy my lead to the right composition.

Bazoo
03-11-2020, 03:36 AM
Howdy, throw another ingot on the barbie! Welcome to the CB.GL. forum.

44Blam
03-14-2020, 11:17 PM

Wow Wallace - looks like you've been visited by the tinsel fairy!

Welcome to the hobby - with all that money you save - you'll be able to make more boolits and shoot more. :D

Winnie1886-4065TC
03-17-2020, 02:57 PM
I am certainly addicted. Haven’t shot one yet and I am already chasing ingots of bullet grade casting lead. Picked up 12 kgs of lead this afternoon and cast 75 this morning, cause I had the day off thanks to a ruptured disc. Only good position that didn’t hurt was standing in front of the pot upright. Will have an order placed soon for some good stuff to alloy my lead to the right composition.

I know how you feel Big. I just ruptured 2 of them about 2 months ago... luckily no surgery needed but I ended up with nerve damage in my right leg due to the ruptured material pressuring the nerve bundle. most pain I had ever been in in my life... and I have had kidney stones. I'm only 35 and this has really made me rethink some things.
Your boolits look great! im still shooting some that grandpa cast more than 30 years ago, saving up for the production pot now and should be casting for 44-40 and 40-65, and 45acp soon. Keep up the good work !

Bigtravoz
03-20-2020, 04:50 PM
I know how you feel Big. I just ruptured 2 of them about 2 months ago... luckily no surgery needed but I ended up with nerve damage in my right leg due to the ruptured material pressuring the nerve bundle. most pain I had ever been in in my life... and I have had kidney stones. I'm only 35 and this has really made me rethink some things.
Your boolits look great! im still shooting some that grandpa cast more than 30 years ago, saving up for the production pot now and should be casting for 44-40 and 40-65, and 45acp soon. Keep up the good work !

Sounds similar, mine effected my left leg mostly, happened in a bike accident years ago. A production pot would be nice but honestly I just used a small frypan on a gas burner. Don’t need the best to get the job done.