PDA

View Full Version : Herters shotgun press

richhodg66
03-08-2020, 12:50 AM
An older gentleman has this for sale locally, Herters Model 7-64-N72M is what he has it listed as. Says he bought it new in the 60's and just hasn't used it in years. Seems to be complete and working and he has an owners manual for it. Asking $55 for it. Good deal? Something about this one, it seems to have adjustable powder and shot rather than bushings, which would seem like an advantage to me. Thoughts?

Wayne Smith
03-08-2020, 12:42 PM
If you can use it at that price it would be well worth it. Unless you are a collector and if you don't load shotgun probably not.

Springfield
03-08-2020, 12:58 PM
I have 2 of those, but haven't loaded with them yet. The power shot measure is adjustable, but not with a screw, you just put washers in the hole until it throws the proper amount. It works and can't get out of adjustment, but it is time consuming if you change loads very often. Probably should sell mine, but they look so cool setting there on my bench.

Pressman
03-08-2020, 04:30 PM
I had one follow me home last week for $20.00 as the dealer who had it wanted rid of it. He was tired of carrying it to shows and bringing it home again. Most younger people today have never heard of Herter's and don't care about these things. So, now I have two of them.
The powder/.Shot measure is a good one, but only if you have the disks to adjust it. They are usually always 100% missing.
If you have a place to put it, they are a great artifact from the old days, the golden age of reloading. If not most folks consider them to be a boat anchor.

Ken

richhodg66
03-08-2020, 09:07 PM
I had one follow me home last week for $20.00 as the dealer who had it wanted rid of it. He was tired of carrying it to shows and bringing it home again. Most younger people today have never heard of Herter's and don't care about these things. So, now I have two of them.
The powder/.Shot measure is a good one, but only if you have the disks to adjust it. They are usually always 100% missing.
If you have a place to put it, they are a great artifact from the old days, the golden age of reloading. If not most folks consider them to be a boat anchor.

Ken

How special are the discs? Could some kind of washers work rather than the ones designed for it? I'll probably look at this one tomorrow.

I kind of wish it was a 16 rather than a 12. Lots and lots of ammo options for 12 available, not so much for the 16.

Springfield
03-08-2020, 09:11 PM
There are probably some discs in it. If not I can measure mine.

Pressman
03-08-2020, 11:18 PM
There should be disks in it. But they are set for a specific powder and weight. That you don't know.
The second one I picked up is 16 gauge.
I do have some instructions for it should you get it.

richhodg66
03-09-2020, 08:17 AM
There should be disks in it. But they are set for a specific powder and weight. That you don't know.
The second one I picked up is 16 gauge.
I do have some instructions for it should you get it.

So if I'm understanding, one would either have to luck into finding a set of these discs or have some made?

Most of the shotshell loading I have done thus far has been for round balls and a little buck shot. For that, the shot measure would be pretty much useless. As to powder, I can charge cases with a Lyman 55 like I've done.

The old gentleman who has it lives about 50 miles west of me, but has an appointment this afternoon about 30 miles east of me and has kindly offered to stop just off the interstate next to me and let me take a look at it this afternoon. Sounds to me like he mainly wants to see it go to a good home. I'll post how things go.

Pressman
03-09-2020, 09:22 AM
If he bought it new then he just might have all the disks, check with him.

gwpercle
03-10-2020, 04:49 PM
The base price for the Herter's Professional Model 72 Shotshell Reloding Tool with powder and shot measure was in 12 ga. 16 ga. or 20 ga. was $41.95 according to the 1968 catalog .

Pressman ...you got it for 1/2 the list brand new price...good score !!!
Gary

Earl Brasse
03-10-2020, 10:42 PM
Just a thought... as long as you have one good/factory washer that fits the hole, you should be able to put "substitute" washers behind it as needed. Even if the "substitutes" are smaller (as long as the center hole allows the keeper bolt/screw) the factory one will do the sealing & the behind ones will just be adjusters.

Pressman
03-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Earl, that is thinking outside the box, I like that.

I am wondering how the OP came out with meeting the gentleman who owns the press, we need an update.

richhodg66
03-11-2020, 08:16 PM
I got it. No discs, but price was adjusted accordingly. I really think for most of what I want to do with it, I'll be charging and loading round ball or buck shot off the press anyway.

I got a big work bench I'm working on getting space for and then need to do some work on it, but the plan is to mount a lot of these neat old tools I have on it just to use them now and then. Hope to get it done soon now that the weather is better and there's some daylight after work.

Pressman
03-11-2020, 09:23 PM
Good to hear, you are going to enjoy the challenge. And it is an interesting artifact of our reloading tool past.

richhodg66
03-11-2020, 09:32 PM
I need to measure the inside diameter and see if there is a washer the right diameter that could work.

It is a neat old machine.

richhodg66
01-07-2021, 06:51 AM
Can someone post a picture of what the adjusting discs for this look like and also possibly the dimensions of them> Kind of thinking about this old beast lately and what it's gonna take to get her going.

Pressman
01-07-2021, 03:58 PM
If you have the press, just take the powder measure apart you will see how they work and what they look like.