PDA

View Full Version : Trift Store find

44magLeo
03-07-2020, 04:24 PM
There is a Store nearby called Thrift Hunters. They sell used stuff.
I finally happened to be in town when they were open.
I found a Klutch No 1 arbor press. It came with a box of extra stuff. The PO used it for making Jewelry. I guess most of the extras were for that.
Seems in good shape. Paint looks very good. No rust anywhere.
I don't know much about arbor presses so I don't know how good the $45 price is.
It didn't have instructions with it, have not looked to see if I can find any yet. On the left side by the ram it has two socket head screws with lock nuts. I assume these are for adjusting for side to side play.
If so I think it's missing the two on the front. There are two threaded hole in the plate that holds the ram in place. I assume these should have adjusting screws like on the side. Perhaps some one cab enlighten me about this.
I plan on using this with my Lyman Shell Sizers as well as my Lee Loaders.
I'll mount it on a piece of 2x8 I have left over from another project. This way I can use it wherever I want.
I bought a propane burner too. The body is all stainless steel with a hinged cover. It has the name Fire Magic on this cover. I think it came off the side of a BBQ grill. I took the hose of my turkey cooker to test it out. Seems to work fine. The control knob is a bit fussy and the igniter is frozen. No problem with either issue. New igniters can be bought most anywhere. I paid $17 for it. Just need to get a hose of it's own. It may not be as hot as my turkey cooker but it will work well for camping.
They had another thing there I was looking at. It was a piece of stainless steel about 16 or 18 inches square with a lid about 10 inches square in the middle. Open the lid and you find a stainless steel sink. About 6 3/8 inch in diameter and 7 inches deep. Larry, the guy behind the counter, told me what it was for. In a church when you dispose of Holy Water you can't just pour it down the drain. This was set over a hole drilled 30 feet deep. Thus way the Hoy water goes back to the center of the earth.
At these dimensions it will hold almost 550 lbs. of lead. With a solid frame work under it to support the weight it could be my next smelting pot. there is a drain hole in the center that would need to be plugged. The flat bottom wouldn't be hard to add a pour spout. The cover will need a bit of modifying to allow the control handle to fit.
The price is $44.
Larry said over the next week there was going to be a lot of items marked down. Need room for more stuff. If this is one of them I just might buy it.
There was a bunch of other stuff but these were the ones that fit here.
Leo

44magLeo
03-07-2020, 04:38 PM
I just had a thought, Perhaps this should be in the Casting Equipment section. I don't know how to move it myself and I don't want to retype this over again. So if the moderater wants to move I'm down with that.
Thanks
Leo

upnorthwis
03-11-2020, 10:03 PM
I picked up 35 lb. of #8 shot for $5.00 Always make stops at thrift stores. Never know what turns up.

elmacgyver0
03-11-2020, 10:09 PM
Use the sink to melt silver to cast boolits that will work for both Werewolves and Vampires!
Win, win situation!

44magLeo
03-11-2020, 10:15 PM
I miscalculated somehow on my weight in lead the holy water sink holds. With a bit of proper button pushing on the calculator it comes in closer to 90 lbs. the 550 I said before. Still at 980 lbs. that's a pretty good amount.
Leo