PDA

View Full Version : S&W 686+ vs. Georgia LEO Handgun Qualification

Hrfunk
03-07-2020, 09:42 AM
Good morning everyone! Here's number 30 in this series. I hope you like it!

Howard

https://youtu.be/QiuY3dA2Qgs

Silvercreek Farmer
03-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Good video. I missed what ammo you were using.

Hrfunk
03-07-2020, 11:02 AM
158 grain Magnums. I think these were Armscore.

Howard

rintinglen
03-07-2020, 11:04 AM
I like it! This is a good course and I was impressed by your shooting in the cold. But then, we ex-Marines tend to be pretty cool. There were several things I thought that stood out. I liked the reloading and movement that is included. We saw 25 yard shots, 3 yard shots, and some in between, with mandatory reloads at several points. The only criticism I have is that some of stages seemed to suffer from “micro-management.” “Shoot one shot at the left target, then one shot at the right...”. I’d prefer that it said “ fire one shot at each target” and let the shooter decide which target to engage. But that quibble aside, it was a pretty good test overall. I am particularly in favor of courses that have a move-to-cover stage, as I think it unwise to simply stand there while trading shots with a ne’er-do-well.
I vote for the snubbie Model 19-my Model 66 2 1/2 is one of my favorites.

Hrfunk
03-07-2020, 11:54 AM
I like it! This is a good course and I was impressed by your shooting in the cold. But then, we ex-Marines tend to be pretty cool. There were several things I thought that stood out. I liked the reloading and movement that is included. We saw 25 yard shots, 3 yard shots, and some in between, with mandatory reloads at several points. The only criticism I have is that some of stages seemed to suffer from “micro-management.” “Shoot one shot at the left target, then one shot at the right...”. I’d prefer that it said “ fire one shot at each target” and let the shooter decide which target to engage. But that quibble aside, it was a pretty good test overall. I am particularly in favor of courses that have a move-to-cover stage, as I think it unwise to simply stand there while trading shots with a ne’er-do-well.
I vote for the snubbie Model 19-my Model 66 2 1/2 is one of my favorites.

Thank you! You're comments and vote are recorded!

Howard

Tatume
03-07-2020, 12:41 PM
If I had that grip and liked it, I would attempt to correct the deficiency. Using a 2" sanding drum in an electric drill (preferably drill press), it should be quick and easy to expand the speed-loader relief. Because the grip lacks checkering, it will be easy to refinish. Personally, I would hand sand both panels with fine sandpaper, and finish with tung oil and steel wool.

Tatume
03-07-2020, 12:53 PM
My vote for favorite of the ten firearms is the Model 686 Plus.

Rick Hodges
03-07-2020, 05:07 PM
I thought you said anything below the shoulder connection was a miss....because of the targets you substituted. Looks like you made quite a few low hits.

I like your targets better anyway, and don't understand not giving credit for lower torso hits.

My Vote is for the Model 19. I have a soft spot for the S&W Model 19/66....what I carried when I started on the job.

Tatume
03-07-2020, 05:14 PM
Anything below the shoulder and in the arms was a miss. The body is a hit. I agree, it was not completely clear. But if you pause the recording when the official target was shown, it can be seen clearly.

Rick Hodges
03-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Anything below the shoulder and in the arms was a miss. The body is a hit. I agree, it was not completely clear. But if you pause the recording when the official target was shown, it can be seen clearly.

Fair enough....still doesn't make sense to me.

Win94ae
03-07-2020, 06:02 PM
I thought you said anything below the shoulder connection was a miss....because of the targets you substituted. Looks like you made quite a few low hits.

I like your targets better anyway, and don't understand not giving credit for lower torso hits.

My Vote is for the Model 19. I have a soft spot for the S&W Model 19/66....what I carried when I started on the job.

Indeed, he forgot to keep his shots higher. He needs to take this test over again with the proper target.

I'll vote on the 2.5" Model 19, just because I have a 2.5" 66. :)

Win94ae
03-07-2020, 06:04 PM

No. There is a scoring area that ends just below the chest.

Tatume
03-07-2020, 07:08 PM
No. There is a scoring area that ends just below the chest.

Not according to HR Funk. I'm only saying what he explained. I have never fired the Georgia qualification course, so what do I know? I don't even claim to be right, as I simply don't know.

Hrfunk
03-07-2020, 09:23 PM
There is a 10 point “Center Mass” area on the official target that ends roughly half way between the sternum and the belly button (or at least where they would be on an actual person.) In reviewing the video, there is one shot that was probably low enough to be in the 8 point area, so I’ll deduct another 2 points from my score. Georgia is the only state that uses that target and I wasn’t able to get any of them. I substituted the B21, and I thought that worked well enough to demonstrate the course.

Howard