PDA

View Full Version : Tracfone

abunaitoo
03-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Anyone use Tracfone?????
Still looking for a cheap carrier, and saw them at walmart.

Hickory
03-06-2020, 07:34 PM
I have tracfone Samsung J7 Sky Pro and (for me) one year of service, $125.00 is a just about right.

skeettx
03-06-2020, 07:40 PM
I really like mine,
Get the phone that has Triple Minutes so when you
get the Annual + 400 minute card you get 1200 minutes and what
ever bonus you can rangle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-400-Minute-1-Year-Service-Plan-Prepaid-Phone-Card/52673287?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=3383&adid=22222222227041410269&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=95814726272&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-196269786512&wl5=9028392&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=52673287&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhojzBRC3ARIsAGtNtHVkdCfpd_aMomSR0qMp sPV1yUcyGu_BdO_zw6ZpYjAKW8NsG9cOEVsaAla5EALw_wcB

https://www.bestreviews.guide/tracfone-triple-minute-phones?origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=381543623188&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=&google_params[adgroupid]=76772379734&google_params[campaignid]=6490998898&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=dsa-19959388920&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9028392&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&new_api=true&dest=0&sys_id=0|254&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhojzBRC3ARIsAGtNtHUEQcKm4BboDpXiVEfV uXmZVFf5F7dk5annKzMT_pMC81MVc1g5RGUaAk5wEALw_wcB

Mine is NOT a smart phone and will NOT do apps, but it will make phone calls and send texts.

Mike

xs11jack
03-06-2020, 08:42 PM
my wife had one and about 400 min stored up. when she bought a new phone and registered it the minutes disappeared. You couldn't give her a million minutes if it was on tracfone.
Ole Jack

Elkins45
03-06-2020, 09:21 PM
If you don’t use your minutes within a certain period you lose them. I bought one for my dad when his health started declining so he could make emergency calls. Of the hundreds of minutes I paid for I doubt more than 10 were ever used. Any sort of prepaid cell phone is generally most popular with people who need a burner phone or people with bad credit than people who expect to keep the same number and same carrier for an extended period of time. Or for people who truly only want a cell phone for emergencies. If you plan on using it very much there are probably cheaper options on a contract.

abunaitoo
03-06-2020, 11:23 PM
I have t mobile now.
I almost never use the phone.
Just for "In case"
Paying $20 a month.
Looking for something cheaper.
Just a basic plan.
No stupid phone for me.
They have a basic plan for $19.95 for three months.
Looks like just what I need.
Only thing holding me back is dealing with people at walmart.
Don't know about your parts, but it seem walmart will hire anything here.

Tripplebeards
03-06-2020, 11:58 PM
I use straight talk from Walmart. $45 a month for unlimited calling and internet use.

My dad has a trac phone and never hangs it up so his minutes get burnt up really fast.

ioon44
03-07-2020, 09:07 AM
I bought a Galaxy J7 Sky Pro from tracfone for $40.00 just to see if I wanted to get into a smart phone. I tend to pile up more data, text and phone minutes than I use.

Rich/WIS
03-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Wife and I had them for years, when days/minutes got low bought another card and reloaded. Good reception where we were and had no issues with it. Use a Samsung smart phone now for additional features with Verizon now, but for a basic phone the Tracfone is hard to beat.

waksupi
03-07-2020, 10:21 AM
I have tracfone Samsung S7 and (for me) one year of service, $125.00 is a just about right.

I have the same, the phone does all I need and more. The one year service includes 1000 minutes. Plenty for me, I have around 3000 minutes on mine since I use it so little. Internet access doesn't use the time apparently, which is handy when I'm looking for an address or business.

I was clued in by a sales person when buying more airtime. Buy four 90 day cards, rather than the one year card. Cheaper.

Shepherd2
03-07-2020, 10:59 AM
My wife and I both have one. We don't have cellphone service where we live so we both have one for use when were away from home. Neither one gets used very much but they are comforting to have in case of an emergency or need to contact some one. We both get the annual card which costs about $100. The minutes do carry over from year to year. I have about 4000 minutes on mine and probably use 30 or 40 a year. There have been a couple occasions when I really needed a phone and my Tracfone was in my pocket.

Daveco
03-07-2020, 11:26 AM
We used to use tracfone but got tired of having to keep up with refilling the account before the card expired so that we wouldn't lose our minutes. We've switched to a prepaid service now named redpocket and are much happier. No contract, but it's set up to renew every month with our credit card so no worries about getting a card and all of that. I think the basic deal is 500 texts, 500 minutes, and 500 Mb of data for $10.00 a month. No relation or anything, but that's the best deal that we found. Only drawback was that they can't send pictures with an iphone for some reason, but that isn't a problem for us.

alfadan
03-07-2020, 02:35 PM
I use total wireless from walmart, same thing I believe. I get 6 gig unlimited and unlimited text and talk for 35 a month. Best thing is, my company pays me 40 a month to use my personal phone.

georgerkahn
03-07-2020, 02:57 PM
My Tracfone -- direct from them -- was by far the BEST cellular telephone I ever had! HOWEVER -- most sadly due to my most rural region, when the upgraded to analog several years back, it was still better than AT&T or Verizon -- only other choices, as TracFone uses anyone's towers. Hence, in fishing and hunting trips, I'd regularly be the "hero" as only mine worked! Another "however", last year most towers again upgraded, so my operation became spotty at best. I since then went to Spectrum "by the gig" plan with unlimited talk & text -- for $14.00 a month including everything. I believe they use Verizon towers, but may be wrong here.
What I'm "saying" is find someone with a cellular telephone as you wish, and hear from them re coverage. What is a great 'phone -- regardless of make or carrier -- in one area, may be no more than a paper-weight not that many miles away.
Good luck!
geo

jonp
03-07-2020, 03:08 PM
I had one for several years and it worked well. I switched to Virgin Mobile for some reason and that worked great. Maybe it was losing the minutes on one and rolling them over on the other or something.

Now we use Consumer Cellular. Uses the AT&T network, comes in great and the cost is less than the majors and there is no contract. Month to month and cancel anytime you want. Went AT&T network because Verizon doesn't have a tower anywhere near my camp up north. Unlimited text, calling and 15 data (I think) for both of us is $85. Bought our phones off Amazon unlocked. Wife my old Galaxy 6 Neo and I have an Oukitel. Bought the Galaxy because it has a removable battery so you can replace it and carry a spare. Got the Oukitel because the battery is twice the size of a normal phone. Using it for a couple of days answering emails, texting, podcasting and it only go's down 1/2 or so.

If your looking to not have a contract I highly recommend Consumer Cellular. I had Cricket before them and they also were fine. Consumer was a little cheaper for us.

30calflash
03-07-2020, 04:56 PM
Depends on the type of tracfone you purchase, how much you plan to use it.

I had a flip phone for quite a while and was very happy with it although ran light on minutes a couple times at the end of the 90 days. Had to upgrade and went to a low end smart phone.

I've an LG tracfone now, $15 a month plus tax. 500 minutes plus lots of text and data that I will never use up. I can't get a balance of the minutes on this one like the flip phone but I've not run out, easier to text than the flip model and so far am pleased with it.

I did have another phone that wasn't LG mfr and it lasted about a year, so it's LG for me for the foreseeable future. YMMV

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-07-2020, 05:23 PM
I use Tracfone. You don't need to buy it at Walmart, just order direct from tracfone's website. Also, you can buy time/minutes in the future and it's put directly on your phone account.
First I bought a Galaxy J7 skypro, through their website for $40, but I didn't like the phone, it's too large...and I don't like the android software, it's not user friendly...so after 6 months, I bought a used "unlocked" iphone off ebay for $100, and transferred my time/minutes/data to it. The phone much is smaller, I love it... and I prefer Apple's software.

Also, while channel surfing on the TV, I seen on QVC, they had a LG smart phone that came with a 1 year tracfone plan, for only $49. I was gonna order it, just for the minutes, but the small print said the phone comes preloaded with the minutes/time/data on a "new" account only...can't be transfered to an existing account.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-07-2020, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah, you should investigate what cell service has the best signal in your area. Verizon is the best in my area, and I found out that Tracfone uses Verizon towers in my area, that is another big reason I chose Tracfone.

waksupi
03-08-2020, 01:35 PM
I have very marginal signal here at home, ranging from one bar to none. I recently put up a cell booster, and now get three bars pretty reliably.

jonp
03-08-2020, 07:59 PM
I have very marginal signal here at home, ranging from one bar to none. I recently put up a cell booster, and now get three bars pretty reliably.

Which one? Wilson of semi antenna game makes a great booster

MrWolf
03-09-2020, 08:22 AM
I use a we-boost 4g-x. Think it is that or real close. Put up a 43' cell tower. Went from basically nothing to 2 bars of 4g. Was good enough I ran my house internet off of it. When Frontier finally admitted I had service at my house, my Verizon cell internet was faster than their copper. I am rural with 81 acres in mountains. There is a Consumer Cellular tower about 5 miles away that I can't access due to mountains. I have to use a tower 53 miles away.

GaryinOh
03-09-2020, 11:25 AM
You might want to try checking on line for Tracfone deals . I bought a smart phone from HSN for $65 1500 min talk 1500 text 1.5 gig of data 1 yr service and free shipping. I do not think you can get a better deal than that.

waksupi
03-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Which one? Wilson of semi antenna game makes a great booster

This is the one I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AWGY4TE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Elkins45
03-09-2020, 08:55 PM

I did the same thing and it helped quite a bit. This spring ATT put up a tower on the next ridge over from us and now I get a full signal anywhere in the house. With the booster the farther from the living room you were the less it helped. I paid over $200 for it several years ago but now you can find good ones for <$50 on Amazon or eBay.

Once they turned the tower on here I unplugged our booster and put it in the closet.

fecmech
03-10-2020, 01:27 PM
I have had a TracFone for over 10 yrs now and my wife also. Cost is $99/year with 800 minutes. My phone currently has about 4000+ minutes and my wifes over 5k. Just use for occasional calls and emergencies. Very happy with the service.

Beerd
03-10-2020, 08:02 PM
fecmech,
with all that time saved up you might as well follow Waksupi's advise and buy four 90 day cards and get 360 days for less than $80.

TCLouis
03-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Wife and I bout have one and the minutes just keep adding year after year.
If your wife lost her minutes it is because she completely re registered, did not carry here registration forward.

Service for Trac Fone and ALL of the others is very spotty in this area.

bedbugbilly
03-11-2020, 11:11 AM
My wife and i use Consumer Cellular - I still have my flip phone which suits me fine - my wife has an android smart phone - with an AARPs discount, our bill is just under $56.00 a month (not separately but for the two of us combined). She doesn't use much data but there is data included in the plan as well as texting. We get excellent reception when we travel back and forth from MI to AZ - we've had it for a number of years now and it has been the best service we have ever had. She does more long distance calls than I do but neither of us worry about making them as the plan is more than ample to cover the use of our two phones. Plus . . . NO CONTRACT!

abunaitoo
03-11-2020, 07:58 PM
What I'm looking at is to replace my phone and plan.
tmoblie.
Tracfon has a nice flip phone.
I'm looking at their basic plan.
No data needed. Don't plan to play on the net.
I don't think the basic plan has rollover minutes.
Doesn't really matter.
I almost never use it anyway.
Just looking for something cheaper.

rond
03-12-2020, 08:25 AM
I use Walmart Family Mobile which is Trac Fhone. I have very limited cell coverage at home so I use wi-fi calling.

Lloyd Smale
03-13-2020, 05:34 AM
weve had on for probably over 10 years. Only cell phone we have and its still a flip phone (you can get those fancy ones though) Only time I use it is when I go to camp or the wife goes out of town. Cost us a bit over a 100 bucks a year and minutes you buy and don't use can be rolled over.

Elkins45
03-13-2020, 05:29 PM
minutes you buy and don't use can be rolled over.

That’s different then when we bought one for my dad (2007 or so) because we had to buy a new card every year even though he hardly used any of his minutes. That’s a much better deal that how it used to be.

Lloyd Smale
03-16-2020, 06:18 AM
I still have to buy a new card every year for around a 100 bucks but the unused minutes carry over. After about 10 years of this I probably have enough minutes to talk 24/7 for more then a year!

Beerd
03-16-2020, 02:24 PM
I believe you have a 30 day grace period to renew your Tracfone service or, POOF, goodbye rollover minutes.

gravel
03-17-2020, 01:23 AM
been using flip tracfones for years. today I ordered a smart phone from them for $40. chat sales guy assured me the minutes (600+) would transfer. I saved the chat log. :) I expect the minutes will transfer but there will not be any data included. so it will be a half-smart phone. still an improvement.

abunaitoo
03-17-2020, 02:11 AM
Looking at he flip phone.
Don't want to text, web surf, chat, listen to music, whatever.
I don't even answer my cell phone.
Might use the camera and clock.
Just for basic emergency calls.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2020, 06:26 AM
flip phone is all I use. Never sent a text in my life and don't even know how to take a picture with it. I don't even turn it on unless I want to make a call. People want to talk to me they can either leave a message on my home phone and MAYBE ill get back to them or get off there but and come over and physically talk to me. Wonder if actual speech will go away with evolution???:coffeecom
Looking at he flip phone.
Don't want to text, web surf, chat, listen to music, whatever.
I don't even answer my cell phone.
Might use the camera and clock.
Just for basic emergency calls.

waksupi
03-18-2020, 09:47 PM
My Tracphone had koncked out on me, figured it was broke. Internet wasn't connecting. Bought a new one, no internet.

I went to Tracphone chat, and they told me I was out of data. Huh? What's that?

I found out you need to go in and shut down all the apps that run in the background on the phone. They drain the data. I bought another 2Gb of data for $10, so back in business.