PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen one of these knives

GOPHER SLAYER
03-06-2020, 06:14 PM
I bought this knife in a yard sale for 50 cents. It has a name & model number on it but the printing is very faint. I can make out what looks like CUICO. The handle looks like teak and is heavy. The handle had a cap but it is missing. It looks as thou Bucky Beaver tried to sharpen it.

Rick Hodges
03-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Cutco?
We have a paring knife from them....steel is very hard but doesn't hold an edge very well. The blade shape looks like a Buck but the handle looks like "Cutco"
https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=hunting-knife

Winger Ed.
03-06-2020, 07:05 PM
I'm in for it being a CUTCO. I've got a couple, and like 'em.
They aren't super high end, but for the price, they're OK.

I don't remember seeing that one in a catalog, but haven't looked at one in a few years.

A buddy has a kid that sold them for awhile, that's where I got mine.
I've never seen them in stores, its sort of a deal like Tupperware or Amway.

I think they're made in New York.

Get on youtube and look for the reruns of the 'How its Made' TV show.
One of their episodes take you through their factory watching how they're made..

Walks
03-06-2020, 07:10 PM
Expensive !!!!
Send My Wife's back every year for sharpening, at $10 A pop.
Bought her a set of COLD STEEL Kitchen Knives two Xmas's back.
Cutco doesn't get used much anymore. And I can Sharpen them Myself.

Still .50 is a killer deal on a Cutco. Your's looks like one of their Hunting knives. A straight blade you can Sharpen yourself.

NyFirefighter357
03-06-2020, 07:21 PM
I'm with it being a Cutco too. Pretty good knife & at $0.50 it's a great deal.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-06-2020, 09:24 PM
It does have a model number,1068.

blackriver
03-06-2020, 09:39 PM
It is a Cutco. I have several of that type. That style was discontinued years ago. It came with a decent sheath. You got a deal, definitely not a cheap knife.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-06-2020, 10:40 PM
We've got a set of Cutco kitchen knives. The handle is present on all Cutco knives, and is known as "the Lamb wedge" because of it's inventor, Frank Lamb. Usually you can find a tiny LM present on the grips. I've also got two Cutco hunting knives, but neither has that blade design.

winelover
03-07-2020, 08:13 AM
CUTCO 1721 KB

Olean, New York

Made in USA

What is etched on a serrated blade knife, about the size of a steak knife, that is our dedicated tomato slicing knife. Got it from my deceased mother's kitchen. Never had the need to sharpen it.

Winelover

jonp
03-07-2020, 01:10 PM
If it's the 440C steel it isn't bad. My Cold Steel Voyager had that steel (just lost it) and it held an edge pretty well and wasn't that hard to sharpen. You should be able to sharpen it yourself either with a stone or carbide.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-07-2020, 02:29 PM
The knife I have even has a patent number stamped on the handle. I would not have believed you could patent a knife or it's handle. After all, knives have been around for a while.

EMC45
03-07-2020, 09:56 PM
The handles on all the Cutco knives we have are made from bowling ball material. My wife used to sell them. They are solid knives and hold a pretty good edge. The company makes KaBar knives.