PDA

View Full Version : 1911 metal peening

Battis
03-06-2020, 12:03 PM
I just recently started shooting the Rock Island 1911 .45. I noticed that the metal edge is peening where the hammer rests. It's only visible with the slide off. I thought it might be a carbon buildup or whatever, but it's metal. I don't dry fire the gun. Any ideas? I'm waiting to talk to the place I bought it.

fn1889m
03-06-2020, 01:02 PM
The most likely cause of the problem is that someone fired the gun without the slide in place. Is there a corresponding blemish on the hammer?

If you bought it new, then it either happened in the back room of the gun shop, or in your house. Is it possible you left the gun disassembled, and someone messed with it? Wife, kid? No one would dry fire it without the slide at a real gun shop without being fired themselves.

Take a small, fine file or finishing sandpaper wrapped around the right size object, and sand the burr off. Put some blue on it for general principle, and forget about it unless it happens again.

1911s should not be fired without the slide in place. But it appears the mark is only cosmetic.

Battis
03-06-2020, 01:13 PM
Good info. Thanks.