PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a range report. Lee 200gr RNFP

kmw1954
03-05-2020, 04:35 PM
I cannot believe it has taken me this long to get back to the range and test these loads. This is a followup to; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?395989-New-Lee-200gr-452-rnfp-mold ,,, so I appreciate everyone's patience.

I was able to load up 2 separate loading of this, one with COWW alloy and another with very soft range scrap alloy. Otherwise all was the same. to refresh I had to load these very short, 1.110" to get them to chamber in my Witness. The cases are R*P large primer loaded with S&B LPP and charged with Accurate AA#2 at 5.0gr.

The quick short overview, the Witness loves these and the XD Mod2 hates them. 1st thing I noticed was I think I have to charge these down a good bit. Only the 5.0gr charge is the closest I could come to for a starting point and that was with Western Data. For a starting load these were quite stout and that could be because of the severe depth I had to seat to. Now I did just find data for a Lyman 225gr ACP using AA#2 with a start load of 4.0gr... The XD Mod2 once again didn't do well. The very first round stove piped up against the top of the chamber and then pushed the second round nose down into the magazine. After that they cycled fine but the grouping was more like a shot gun pattern. I believe these loads are just too short for the XD.

So I'm not sure what I am going to do about the XD, go back to Plated maybe as I don't want to load up 2 of the same loading only to different length. But next I believe is loading some up/down with 4.5gr od AA#2.

onelight
03-05-2020, 05:16 PM
Perhaps some one here uses that bullet with the XD Will chime in with what OAL they are using .
I have a mold for Lee tl 230 but have not cast any with it yet . I chose it because the ogive looks like it will work on the guns that basically have no throat . But I have not cast any yet to try.

tazman
03-05-2020, 06:48 PM
I am running that boolit in my Springfield XDm with excellent results.
The load is 4.1 of WST. The boolit is water quenched range scrap lubed with NRA 50-50 and sized to .4515.
The OAL is 1.145.
Velocity is roughly 800fps.
Accuracy is superb. Function is flawless.
This load also works well in my 1911.

This load is below even the starting load for WST with this boolit. It should be quite safe to use regardless of your particular OAL.

kmw1954
03-06-2020, 12:01 AM
Not so much concerned about the XD as that is my wife's pistol and she doesn't shoot it as much as I shoot my 45acp. She also has an XD Mod2 9mm Which is her primary pistol. I have a load for the 45acp XD with a Berry's 115 and 124gr FP that shoots lights out so I have that. Also I recently obtained a Lyman 452 374 225gr RN mold but I still need handles for it so once I work thru this RNFP I will start on a load for that.

Now it has just hit me as to how quickly one can shoot thru 100lbs of lead with 2 45acp's!

tazman
03-06-2020, 02:29 AM
That Lyman 452374 is an excellent boolit and mimics the profile of the original hardball. It should work flawlessly in any 45ACP pistol.

kmw1954
03-06-2020, 12:51 PM
tazman that s exactly what I was thinking. This one is only a single cavity but I figure I can double it up with the 200gr mold next time I cast.