PDA

View Full Version : Lee sprue plate screw backing out

Bantou
03-05-2020, 12:31 PM
I took my Lee aluminum molds apart the other day for cleaning and now every time I cast I have to constantly tighten down the screw that’s hold the sprue plate on. Does anybody have a fix for this? I was thinking maybe loctite but I don’t want to screw the mold up any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed_Shot
03-05-2020, 01:30 PM
You can drill and tap and install a set screw to hold the sprue plate screw, which works great. Or, much easier and very effective use a few strands of steel/bronze wool in the sprue plate screw hole to bind the screw. There is more than one thread here on fixes to the problem.

Bantou
03-05-2020, 02:10 PM
I’ll do some more digging then. I didn’t find any on a cursory scan but I didn’t use the search feature either.

Thanks,
B

Bantou
03-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Found the other threads so I’m going to close this one.

Never mind it won’t let me close it.

gwpercle
03-05-2020, 08:19 PM
Winding a few strands of 0000 steel wool around the offending screw threads works....sounds crazy but it does, after using this simple repair method the screw has never backed out again . I tried to remove the steel wooled screw and it didn't want to unscrew so I didn't force it , it's remained tight for several years now .
Tip...don't loosen the screw once it has taken hold .
Gary

GregLaROCHE
03-06-2020, 12:39 AM
Add a screw to lock sprue plate screw or use steel wool. Best not to mix bronze wool with aluminum.

Conditor22
04-23-2020, 01:06 PM
Leementing -- keeping the sprue screw from moving by drilling and tapping for a brass set screw or use a piece of lead shot so the steel set screw doesn't bugger up the sprue screw's threads

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/LeementingKitDocumentation.pdf