PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 290 gunsmith

gunauthor
03-05-2020, 12:12 PM
I am attempting to clean a very filthy Winchester model 290 and need some help. I have tried numerous times to put the action spring in place and am having no luck. Anyone know a gunsmith who can bail me out? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mk42gunner
03-05-2020, 03:55 PM
A small piece of tubing an inch or two in length cut in half is supposed to help keep the spring under control while installing it.

I did find that it is easier to reinstall the bolt with the barrel out of the receiver on my current 190.

Do a search of the web for reassembling a Model 190 or 290 (same gun, different trim).

Good luck

Robert

Drm50
03-05-2020, 04:15 PM
I never had trouble with 190/290 spring. You should avoid taking barrel on and off just for cleaning. The action is cast alloy and it will wear to point barrel won't be tight.

Mk42gunner
03-06-2020, 03:59 PM
Drm50, you are absolutely right about not taking the barrel off for routine cleaning, and I am sorry if I made it sound like a normal procedure. When I bought my current 190, the barrel was loose so I had to research the best way to tighten it.

While I was fixing that I also did a very thorough cleaning, and remembering the trouble I had when I was twelve or thirteen I tried putting the bolt back in with the barrel out.

As they say "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

Robert

skeettx
03-06-2020, 06:23 PM
This should be of GREAT assistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EeX12yKDM

Mike

richhodg66
03-06-2020, 07:50 PM
I used that two screwdriver trick, works great.

I still haven't gotten mine to function very reliably. Bought a spanner wrench to tighten the barrel nut which seems to be a common problem with them. Also cleaned thoroughly. One day when I get time, I'll mess with it again.

It is quite accurate, more so that a super cheapie .22 rifle like that should be. If I ever get it functioning, it should be a good rifle.