PDA

View Full Version : RCBS turret press for sizing bullets

Bantou
03-05-2020, 12:10 PM
I’m new to the casting game and just getting back into reloading. While resizing a bunch of brass the other day I noticed that the turret on my RCBS turret press has a slight wobble I had forgotten about. Is that going to be a problem when I finally get my boolits pc’d and start sizing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHDeal
03-05-2020, 12:43 PM
No. I have the same press, and while there is some deflection, the ram of the Lee die will push the bullet through the die straight as the die is. You may notice the ram I mentioned will burnish on one side or the other, but it will still size the bullets straight. I do keep the Lee lock ring on their sizing dies as I only snug the sizing dies in press for some extra float. All of the above is my opinion and from my measurements and shooting.

I use my RockChucker more than the turret press for sizing just because I like the handle on the lever better. You might say I have too many presses, but others on here make my hoard look like a beginners kit...

Bantou
03-05-2020, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info! I don’t really have a way to measure how “square” the bullets are or I would have done the testing myself. I’m going to get a single stage eventually. I bought the turret years ago because I had already learned to reload from an older gentleman that lived around the corner from me and I wanted something to speed up production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheelguns 1961
03-05-2020, 01:55 PM
I have an rcbs turret press and my experience mirrors DHDeal. They size fine.

GONRA
03-11-2020, 05:40 PM
GONRA's pretty sure commonly available "Turret Presses" are made for reloading COMMON rifle (hunting) and pistol cartridges - NOTHING ELSE!
>>> BE CAREFUL! NO GORILLA TORQUE!!! DON'T WRECK YER PRESS. Good Luck! <<<

Conditor22
04-23-2020, 01:02 PM
I use my Lyman 8 turret or the cheap lee Breech Lock Reloader Press mounted upside-down. I've used a cheater bar on the Breech Lock Reloader Press and the thing isn't phased. Most sizing doesn't require much pressure [less than sizing rifle brass]. to ease the sizing pressure if you need to downsize a lot I will use lube and do it in stages.

IF something requires a lot of pressure I pull out an O press like the rock chucker.